Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #1

Is it bad to keep hooked up to shore power

I just wanted to check in with all my learned friends here.

My RV is parked in the driveway and I've kept it plugged in to my home power using the power cable provided.

Is this good practice? Will it cook the batteries over time? Should I disconnect batteries if it's continuously plugged in etc etc. Are there any adverse effects on the RV doing this at all. Just need this niggling newbie question answered lol.

Thanks for all your input thus far!!
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 06:42 PM   #2

In 5 1/2 years of ownership, my coach has been on shore power , 355 days a year , either at home or in the RV park where I spend the winter.
I do check the batteries regularly , ; month to six weeks ; and they are the same ones that were in the coach where I bought it.

I did have to replace the , converter/charger, two years ago , it was original to the coach , so I figured 14 years was about it's lifespan anyway.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:20 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are able to park our 5th at home where I have a 30 Amp. circuit installed to the trailer parking. I leave ours plugged into shore power 24/7 x 365, except when we using it. One of the first mods I did was to install a Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power converted. A good multistage converter will maintain the batteries properly. It will make adjustments as required for cold vs. hot weather, etc. I think a good multistage converter is one of the most important mods you can make if its not already installed. I also installed a Progrssive Industries 50 Amp power protection unit in the trailer's basement for protection from all sorts power misbehavior and errors in park wiring.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:30 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
I just wanted to check in with all my learned friends here.

My RV is parked in the driveway and I've kept it plugged in to my home power using the power cable provided.

Is this good practice? Will it cook the batteries over time? Should I disconnect batteries if it's continuously plugged in etc etc. Are there any adverse effects on the RV doing this at all. Just need this niggling newbie question answered lol.

Thanks for all your input thus far!!
Our '02 Dutch Star was always stored on the pad beside the house and plugged in all the time with the refer on. The 4 Interstate U-2200 house batteries lasted 10 years. But it did have a good three stage inverter/charger too. Some don't have that good a charger unit and will overcharge the batteries.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:32 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best if you have a quality multiple stage battery charger.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #6

My manual says not to have the unit plugged in without a battery connected "or damage to the converter may occur".
My guess is because the battery acts as a capacitor and helps smooth out the power coming out of the converter and protect it from sudden power draws when you run a slide or awning that pulls a lot of juice.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #7

Your manual has a point.

The answer to leaving it plugged in is "it depends".

If you have a 3 or 4 stage converter it should not cook the batteries.

If you have a single stage converter that will cook the batteries so the answer is to plug it it for a day a week or so. Check it every other day after you pull the plug and you can find how many days it takes to run down to 50-60% of capacity. Put it back on overnight to top it back off. Chances are good you also need to watch the charge for the engine battery on a MH like that.

It pays to check the voltages on any system at some regular interval like weekly to avoid surprises.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:57 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have two 6 volt batteries wired in series for 12 volts. I hooked a dual voltmeter (two display lines) in the coach so that the top line is battery 1 and the bottom line shows the total voltage of both batteries. The difference is voltage for battery 2. Make sure you break shore power connection otherwise you're measuring the converter output. Also remember to check the battery water level every 4-6 weeks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
We have two 6 volt batteries wired in series for 12 volts. I hooked a dual voltmeter (two display lines) in the coach so that the top line is battery 1 and the bottom line shows the total voltage of both batteries. The difference is voltage for battery 2. Make sure you break shore power connection otherwise you're measuring the converter output. Also remember to check the battery water level every 4-6 weeks.
Hmm that's a really clever idea. So you can keep track of each battery voltage separately
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:12 PM   #10

Not sure what Lance installs, check to see that your converter is a multi-stage charger-here's one you can use to upgrade if not.

4600 Series Upgrade or Replacement Power Converters
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:16 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Best if you have a quality multiple stage battery charger.
+1,or 2, or 100 wherever we're at!!
Old 05-30-2016, 11:15 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Leave it plugged in. Check your batteries at least once a month. Use distilled water to refill them after cleaning around the fill hole so no dirt goes in there.

The basics being covered, I haven't had to add any water to my two GC-2 batteries since I've bought them, and I've been 50-50% on boondocking and in a park hooked up to shore power since August. I check them every couple of weeks. No problems so far for me!
Old 05-31-2016, 11:40 AM   #13

Always been since day one ! We don't run the fridge untill a day or sow before a trip. No problems, same cheap battery that came from factory. When needed, we will upgrade.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:57 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Go to Trojan battery website and watch the vids on caring for your batteries. Most trailer converters dont put out the voltage that Trojan requires. Iota offers converters with a 4 stage charger with the correct voltages. Most likely you will have to upgrade your wiring as well because the factory uses to small of a gauge for the distance from the converter to the batteries.

Tags
power, shore power