RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #1

Is Lance worth 2x more $ than Winn?

57 yo couple, complete RV newbies, looking to dip toes in the water. Plan would be to spend 2-3 weeks a few x per year on the road, go to a destination for a nice stay but stopping for a few days there/back. Probably snowbird. Budget a definite consideration but lower on priority scale.

Two local TTs ~27’ silmilar floorplans. Both newer (17 and 18) and super nice, hardly used, condition. Winnebago vs Lance at 2x more money (has every option however).

I am super picky about my stuff and usually buy quality over price but $20k is a lot of jack. I want a unit that we will like and make it as positive beginner and future ownership experience as is possible. BUT I’m realistic and know chances are we will be moving out of this unit, for one reason or the other, before long so resale is very important as well.

Fwiw wife will see bottom line only, not value for $.

What say y’all?

kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #2

I own a Lance 2285. Construction is one of the better ones.
All Azdel construction.NO WOOD in walls to rot if it gets wet. All walls & cutouts are CNC machined, means no one is using a saws all to trim cutouts..
4 season rated, heated & enclosed tanks..
Cabinets are also CNC machined, no trim to cover up seams.
Yes, considerable more $$$. To us, worth it as we plan to full time in a few years...

scrapperjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:14 AM   #3

I think you could argue the Lance is worth more, since they seem to have no problem moving the product, and they maintain a loyal following.

Worth that much more than a similar Minnie? Hard to say, I guess that's really up to you. Since you are just getting started, add to your decision, that your first purchase may not be your last.

Me? with a 1/2 ton Ecoboost tow rig, and living in your neck of the woods, I'd "Split the difference" between Minnie and Lance...I'm going up to West Milton, PA to see this: (Kelly RV)
7K GVWR (with lots of cargo capacity, so borderline on the 1/2 ton truck, but doable).
https://youtu.be/5dS6Dte-Qxo

Or this:
https://youtu.be/P1IA34R8FYA
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post

Me? with a 1/2 ton Ecoboost tow rig, and living in your neck of the woods, I'd "Split the difference" between Minnie and Lance...I'm going up to West Milton, PA to see this: (Kelly RV)
7K GVWR (with lots of cargo capacity, so borderline on the 1/2 ton truck, but doable).
https://youtu.be/5dS6Dte-Qxo

Or this:
https://youtu.be/P1IA34R8FYA
Actually, Iíve been in contact with Kelly about pricing on that 24M. Not really interested in buying new, however.

The local Lance is an Ď18 2375, private party sale. I will be upsizing my truck if I go this direction.

Thanks again, ND!
Old 02-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #5

We bought our TT 5 years ago and our shopping left us with 3 choices
1) Lance
2) Keystone Bullet
3) Heartland North Trail

We went with #3 because of the floor plan and price. It was the only used one in the mix and it was larger than the other two.

The Lance still tugs at my heart. One of the bigger factors is we've grown to love dry camping and the Lance's larger fresh and gray tanks would be nice. But our North Trail makes up for it in kitchen space.

My suggestion is to look at the floor plans more closely than anything else. The one most likely to keep your wife happy is the one to choose.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:20 PM   #6

Went through the same process and finally put a deposit on a new Winnie 2455bhs. It was a drawn out process and took much research and thinking it through. Tow vehicle capability is the #1 priority. I have a 2015 Ram 1500 with tow package and 3.92 gears but like most half tons it's payload that limits you and not weight. After much research I determined that even though my truck could tow 10k lbs, buying a 9k lb trailer would have been a huge mistake so I capped the trailer GVWR @ 7k lbs, capped tongue weight at 950 lbs including hitch, and capped box length at 25' because I didn't feel comfortable towing too big of a sail down the road with a half ton truck. That left enough payload to haul 4 people with an empty bed. If we travel with 6 of us then we'll just take 2 cars. We do that on all long vacations already so no biggie. Once we narrowed down size, floor plan, and weight it got really easy narrowing down the choices.

Floorplan is the second most important part of the decision regardless of manufacturer. If the size/floorplan doesn't check off most of the boxes then it doesn't matter what trailer you buy or how much you spend because you won't be a satisfied owner. My family needed a bunkhouse because we have 4 kids (2 finishing college). Since 6 of us would only camp together the minority of the time, all I needed is a trailer that would sleep 4 very comfortable and 6 comfortable enough.

We couldn't afford a new Lance so used was the only way to go if we wanted to buy a Lance (our budget was $25k). We looked at a very nice used Lance 2185. Built very nice and liked everything about it except... the triple bunks in the rear were very narrow. My 14 year old son is 6'2" and my tallest daughter is 5'11". After seeing them test the Lance bunks I knew right away I had to write off that trailer (which was a bummer because I liked everything). Used Lance trailers are few and far between on the east coast. I had to drive 200 miles each way just to look at one.

After looking at all the common trailers (Jayco/Keystone/Coachmen etc) I couldn't get past the build quality. They looked really good on the inside and outside but as you peel back the layers the build quality really shows its head. At this point we were sold on the Minnie 2455bhs. We saw a brand new one at a local dealer and loved everything about it except the price. The problem came when we tried to find a lightly used one... few and far between and they all sold really fast. The closest I could find was over 400 miles away so I got discouraged. I talked to a couple more dealers within a reasonable distance and one of them struck a deal that I couldn't refuse on a new unit still at the factory. It had upgraded 15k AC, 30lb tanks, and extreme weather package and they quoted me in writing $24,750 including everything except sales tax. MSRP was $34k. I put a deposit down immediately and we'll be picking it up after its delivered and the dealer does the once over.

The fit and finish between Lance and Winnebago is not that much different. Both are well built but I'll agree that Lance is definitely better. Lance is well insulated so if you plan on camping when it's below freezing then Lance is the only choice (or Arctic Fox/Northwood etc). Winnebago is the perfect choice for better build quality than the mass produced units without breaking the bank. I didn't want to buy new but the math worked. I really like having a 1 year warranty as well. The used 2455s on the market were still in the 17-22k range.

Another thing to consider when buying a Winnebago or Lance is they are more desirable in the used market so they are easier to sell. Depreciation won't be as severe as the mass produced units. We plan on keeping this trailer for 4-5 years then upgrading both the tow vehicle and a larger trailer. I highly recommend just spending time looking at trailers. The right decision came pretty easy after we did that compared to information overload on the internet without seeing and touching some trailers.
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:28 PM   #7

With the limited use you mention I'd get what ever works. We camp close to that every year in a low end Northwood Fox Mountain. 6 seasons and every things still working and very solid. JMHO but I feel Lance is way over priced. All RV's are overpriced right now due to the demand. Azdel is only good if you have a leak. Keep things caulked and you won't get leaks. Lance does have a nice high gloss exterior, but so does the Winnie.
I just don't see $51K of better construction. For $51K I'd rather get an Outdoor RV trailer. More room, stronger frame, bigger tanks and quality construction. Of course you need a 3/4 ton truck. Which leads me to believe that Lance is banking on that fact that smaller SUVs are very popular and owners need something lightweight to tow.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #8

Many people compare Lance to ORV, and Northwood in terms of quality construction. Considering they are much less weight and youíll know why they canít keep up with demand, and therefore bring higher prices. One big misconception is that you need leaks for delamination to occur. RVís as they get older can get it just from condensation. Which is why I would never own one with fiberglass batt insulation. Made that mistake once. Lance walls have two layers of Azdel which keeps the condensation from entering the wall.
We really enjoy our Lance but not sure I would pay east coast prices.
Winnebago is an above average trailer. But the interior construction is where it uses cheaper materials. Go take your fist and bang the interior walls and cabinets on both, and youíll quickly see the difference.
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:01 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My impression on the Lance is you're primarily paying for 2 things: weight and the option to use it in the winter. If you're not planning to use it in the winter and your tow vehicle has plenty of towing/payload capacity to support a heavier trailer, then I'm not sure it's worth it. On the other hand, if you're using a 1/2ton crew cab to take the family skiing every other weekend in the winter, it's probably worth every penny.

(Yes, I know the azdel construction is more resistant to leaks, but you'll still need to keep up with the sealant maintenance...)
Old 02-28-2019, 06:53 PM   #10

The Winnebago is great. The Lance is certainly better.

Theyíre both great units but if youíre not row vehicle limited, donít tow a bunch of miles, and donít plan on camping in the cold youíre just as well off with the Winnie. (Which is still pretty good).

For about the same money as the Winnie, you can have a Nash which will not have the bling, but itís a tank. And you canít have lamination if you donít laminate the walls
Old 02-28-2019, 07:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
For $51K I'd rather get an Outdoor RV trailer.
I’d rather have an ORV too but I’d have better success finding a unicorn in SE PA. And the wife isn’t interested in a road trip....yet.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:58 PM   #12

I don't understand why anyone with a heavy duty truck would buy anything other than a Northwood or ORV, simply the best.

If you have a light weight tow vehicle and still want quality than Lance is the Mercedes and Winnebago is the Chevy or Ford. The rest are a crap shoot.
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #13

Check their forums too

Prior to the current TT purchase I haunted the forums for Winnebago, Lance, and Grand Design. Looking at similar floorplans in each line.

I found each brand has issues, regardless of cost. All 3 lines have some common components, appliances, heaters, awnings, etc.

Lance was attractive until I meet a Lance owner that said his experience with Lance had been nothing but trouble.

For grins, I even looked at the Airstream forums. Amazingly, there are issues with 6 digits travel trailers.

Yep, Grand Design has issues. But their Customer Service is amazing! That's how we separated the sheep from the goats. YMMV.
AWOL2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:12 PM   #14

We have a 27' Winnebago. It's a 2015 with a rear bath and 2 opposing slides. We use it for frequent weekend adventures and several 3000+ mile trips.

We've never had a problem of consequence and couldn't be happier with the unit.

I did find that my 2011 f150 with a 5 liter engine wasn't enough to tow without straining so I bought a f250 diesel. Wow, what a difference!

MM9995 is offline   Reply With Quote