Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 05:47 PM   #15

The simple answer is 'Yes'. But what can you do? You can tackle it yourself. Do the inspections after your trips unless you notice something is wrong in towing your rig. If you know something is wrong get it fixed.

A truck or car can go 150,000 miles on its bearings. A trailer should be able to go more than 10,000 miles I would think.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 07:05 PM   #16

I bought our current TT at RV's R US two years ago. Have the Dexter axles and takes 20 minutes to properly grease the bearings. Have done it once a season. Don't take anything to the dealer at all now that the warranty is over. There is nothing on this trailer that I cannot repair other than perhaps a major slide issue on the kitchen side. Have added a number of things and repaired the furnace, saved a ton of money plus learned how it is put together. Some of the folks at the dealer don't really know what they are doing.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:47 PM   #17

Ask if they can take some pictures of what they find or let you look at it so you know what to look for next time. I own a performance shop we take take pictures and even video sometimes to document everything to protect myself and to show the customer if needed.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:45 AM   #18

I can see the problem. If I'm packing the bearings on my trailer, find a seal (seal will be replaced leak or not) leaking, grease inside the drum I can use soap and water, Brake Kleen, whatever, to clean it up and use it. (Likely would replace my shoes, drum? No) But if you are paying me to work on your trailer I can't re-use anything because there is no way to prove to a jury that once I cleaned the grease off the casting it was good as new...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #19

UPDATE - Dealer just called - BAD NEWS (which I was expecting).

They are saying total cost is going to be $2,330.

The breakdown...

They say I'm "super lucky I brought it in when I did" because there is some grease in the brake hubs - but, even worse is grooves in the hubs...

So...

10" backing plates = $624
10" hubs = $720
bearings, grease, seals

Labor = 4.5 hrs @ $150 = $675

Grand Total = $2,330

and from what they are saying they "can't put it back together and let me take it because it would be a liability..."
Old 05-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
UPDATE - Dealer just called - BAD NEWS (which I was expecting).

They are saying total cost is going to be $2,330.

The breakdown...

They say I'm "super lucky I brought it in when I did" because there is some grease in the brake hubs - but, even worse is grooves in the hubs...

So...

10" backing plates = $624
10" hubs = $720
bearings, grease, seals

Labor = 4.5 hrs @ $150 = $675

Grand Total = $2,330

and from what they are saying they "can't put it back together and let me take it because it would be a liability..."
I'd be tempted to hire a flatbed truck to haul it to another shop. Why would backing plates need replacing? You can get whole assemblies of 10" electric brakes for $138 on Ebay. That was just a quick Google search, I don't know their quality, but you can do better than $2300!

Another poster just redid his Class A F53 front brake job himself, the quote to have it done was $1400-2000. Your shop's price for two trailer axles is absurdly high.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #21

I just spoke with them again on the phone and asked why his "worse case price when I dropped it off Saturday was $880 and now it is $2,400. He said that the trailer I have (KZ-Vision 22BHS) does not use normal hubs and they have to be special ordered from KZ - he says they are much higher in price than what Winnebago or Grand Design is quoting... they are also saying that it is tagged that I cannot take it off the lot in it's current condition because it is a liability issue.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #22

Just got ahold of Axle manufacturer and they said the entire hub assembly for those axles is $56.

Even if I needed to replace 4 that is only $224.

The dealer is quoting $1,344 for parts.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:13 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Just got ahold of Axle manufacturer and they said the entire hub assembly for those axles is $56.

Even if I needed to replace 4 that is only $224.

The dealer is quoting $1,344 for parts.
Did you get a written estimate when you took it in? In many states there is a limit to how much higher the bill can go above the estimate. With the evidence of the parts markup, I'd really consider contacting the State Attorney General's Office. I don't see how they can hold your trailer hostage. If you pay the charges for the work so far and have it put on a flatbed to haul away, they don't have anything to be liable for, except crooked business practices.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:14 AM   #24

Stick to your guns, don't let them rip you off too much or they will do the same to me.

Brake parts typically are not expensive.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #25

Absolute train wreck...IMO. It's your trailer, get it, and take it to someone who can fix it reasonably, and correctly.

If it's just axles/brakes, find a reputable alignment-suspension shop that can handle trailer repairs. They can order the same parts the RV dealer can.

I looked up services in your area, Here's a shop with an established reputation, ASE certifications, alignments, brakes, and they even list RV repair service. I'd tell your story to him first, then make a decision. I know nothing about them, but I'd sure take a chance there vs. the mess of a report you are giving us.
https://www.facebook.com/mandrmotorandrepair/

Web:
https://www.autorepairwichitafalls.c...trailer-repair

"Tagged it for liability" Ha! You got it there, how did it magically become "untowable" overnight?

Edit: "And another thing..." How would you feel about that estimate amount on your car/truck brakes? Bet you'd go through the roof.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Did you get a written estimate when you took it in? In many states there is a limit to how much higher the bill can go above the estimate. With the evidence of the parts markup, I'd really consider contacting the State Attorney General's Office. I don't see how they can hold your trailer hostage. If you pay the charges for the work so far and have it put on a flatbed to haul away, they don't have anything to be liable for, except crooked business practices.

unfortunately, I don't have a flat bed to tow it on or a truck big enough to tow it on a trailer even if I could rent/find a trailer somewhere.

right now I'm considering what risks I have towing it 120 miles back home if it is "as bad shape as they say it is" - or I can take it to two reliable trailer repair shops I found about 15 miles from this RV service place. Those places already quoted me worst case scenario prices that are 50% what this RV Dealer is telling me.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
Absolute train wreck...IMO. It's your trailer, get it, and take it to someone who can fix it reasonably, and correctly.

If it's just axles/brakes, find a reputable alignment-suspension shop that can handle trailer repairs. They can order the same parts the RV dealer can.

I looked up services in your area, Here's a shop with an established reputation, ASE certifications, alignments, brakes, and they even list RV repair service. I'd tell your story to him first, then make a decision. I know nothing about them, but I'd sure take a chance there vs. the mess of a report you are giving us.
https://www.facebook.com/mandrmotorandrepair/

Web:
https://www.autorepairwichitafalls.c...trailer-repair

"Tagged it for liability" Ha! You got it there, how did it magically become "untowable" overnight?

Edit: "And another thing..." How would you feel about that estimate amount on your car/truck brakes? Bet you'd go through the roof.

I found two places that specialize in trailers within 10 miles of this dealer. They are quoting worse case scenario prices that are $1,500 (though they can't imagine my trailer being in that shape). So, I can either pull it 10 miles and put it in another shop OR pull it 120 miles home and put it in a trailer shop here in town. I like the idea of it being in town if I want to go check on it + I wouldn't have to drive another 120 miles to go pick it up. However, they now have me freaked out that I'm going to pull it home and tires are going to fly off.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #28

Quote:
I found two places that specialize in trailers within 10 miles of this dealer. They are quoting worse case scenario prices that are $1,500 (though they can't imagine my trailer being in that shape). So, I can either pull it 10 miles and put it in another shop OR pull it 120 miles home and put it in a trailer shop here in town. I like the idea of it being in town if I want to go check on it + I wouldn't have to drive another 120 miles to go pick it up. However, they now have me freaked out that I'm going to pull it home and tires are going to fly off.

Apologies for being so wound up, no wonder the RV industry has such a poor reputation.

Good Luck whatever you decide. You said your time is money, If you can generate more income programming, then do that, have someone else do the repair work, of course be sure it is done right.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, service