RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2019, 11:28 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Is there a hack for this A/C Thermostat

Pictured below is the type of Thermostat I have from the roof A/C. I have a separate thermostat for the heater (upgraded to digital) and I like it that way.

What I'm looking for is a digital upgrade for this thermostat that will turn the fan off when the compressor isn't on (after safe delay etc). It would seem, based on the controls, that it should be possible, but even according to the manual... if the unit is "on" the fan runs continuously.

I have seen other hacks for more complex systems but none of those seem to originally have ANY control over fan speed. This one DOES have control over the fan in a few different ways. I can even turn on JUST the fan if I want.

By the way, does anyone know the difference between the TWO bottom fan positions on the right? Even the manual states to run the fan only, put the switch in "either" of the two positions?

Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 08:30 PM   #2

I don't have an answer and I don't have t stat like that but the Dometic ac in our just purchased apex nano runs constantly with compressor cycling as needed but blower on all the time. I'll be curious too about this as it seems there should be better control?
Hopefully someone has some insight on this. Wish I could help but in same boat.

nanonewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:40 PM   #3

The two fan positions are probably for a two speed fan.

This thermostat should work:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:36 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
The two fan positions are probably for a two speed fan.

This thermostat should work:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Actually the two positions (according to the manual and everything I have tested) are the same. The fan speed control is operated by the other auto-low-med-high.

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately (I downloaded the manual) that thermostat does not seem to support mult-speed fans.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
Actually the two positions (according to the manual and everything I have tested) are the same. The fan speed control is operated by the other auto-low-med-high.

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately (I downloaded the manual) that thermostat does not seem to support mult-speed fans.
It doesn't, but you can easily wire a separate switch for the fan speeds which is what I did.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:18 PM   #6

Someone posted in another thread..................

Auto Fan Aftermarket Kits for Coleman RV Air Conditioners

But it only works on Coleman/Airexcell units. They apparently do not have a similar unit for Dometic.

Charles
Old 07-21-2019, 07:07 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
So I found this thread that uses a relay that is triggered by the "Y" voltage from the thermostat to power the Air Conditioner. This person put the relay in the fuse box (which makes sense for several reasons) and then only had to run a single wire from the thermostat to the relay and put the relay in the 120V line that goes to the Air Conditioner.

The gist of how it all works is also simple:
  1. When set on cool the thermostat calls for cooling and sends battery voltage to the relay coil (via the Y wire). The relay connects across the contacts and sends power to the cooling unit which then comes on.
  2. When the set temperature on the thermostat is reached it turns off the Y wire, the relay drops and power is removed from the cooling unit.

My only concern is that there isn't a delay between turning off the compressor, and then turning off the fan. With this setup, fan and compressor will turn off at the same time. I'm not sure that's a big issue or not.

The relay this guy used is OMRON G7L-2A-TUBJ-CB-DC12
Old 07-21-2019, 07:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanonewb View Post
I don't have an answer and I don't have t stat like that but the Dometic ac in our just purchased apex nano runs constantly with compressor cycling as needed but blower on all the time. ...
Not sure what type of thermostat you have, but on mine I need to ensure the "fan only" indication is AUTO, not HI or LO; then when the A/C is on the fan cycles with the compressor.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #9

An off delay relay could be used, you need constant power for the relay, and probably a dry contact to trigger the relay. Depends on the relay type.
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #10

Something similar to this. Order the correct voltage. The other relay could be used to trigger the time delay relay. https://www.grainger.com/search?sear...searchBar=true
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:48 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
So I'm gonna toss this out to the RV DIY Hive mindset...

Such a SIMPLE solutions... LOL..

Just put a proper voltage/amp thermostat on the power to the A/C unit.

I found a "Normally Open" that closes on "Temperature Rise" so in other words.. I could set it so that just as example, if the temperature is above 67 degrees... the Air Conditioner will have power. If the temp falls below 67 degrees, no power to the unit.

I may have to fiddle with the exact setting, but this way, on those days around here when it's in the 80's during the day, but 50's at night.... once the temp inside drops below a certain level.. it just kills the power to the unit as if the breaker tripped. No harm no foul.

They next day.. when the temp reaches the "turn on point" it will put power back to the unit.

I'm genuinely not concerned about the fan running constantly when the compressor is cycling on and off... As example, I just remembered, I turned it on today because where it's parked it gets really hot inside and I prefer not to cook things like Baileys, or my guitar etc.. so I turn on the A/C. But now that it's cool outside, I have to run outside and turn it off. Well, I don't have to, but it seems silly to have the fan run all night for no reason.

I'm not seeing any obvious flaws here.. anyone else?

Adjustable Thermostat

Tags
thermostat