Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #1

Issue with no power @ outlets :(

Hello everyone,
Its been awhile since my last post. Hope everyone is well. For those who may remember this newbie's fall accident, Its pretty much all healed up.

I have a new issue, all was good then poof in a second, I have 4 outlets no power, the ceiling light in slide out doesn't seem to be working but have checked simply the bulb yet. and 1 outside light not working.
Gfi all work all other outlets and lights work.
No battery power, plugged in to power.
Checked the breakers none tripped, all have power going out. took apart one outlet, all ok, it seems to be the end of the circuit (series)? only wires in nothing out.

Any ideas, suggestions would be great, and appreciated.
I have a 31ft Coachman Catalina TT

Thanks in advance, looking forward to suggestions. Before I start pulling every dead outlet apart, that I haven't already.

Ginny

Oh and all was and had been fine with power from Nov. 1 until yesterday.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Are the 4 outlets on the same circuit breaker? Are these outlets powered by an inverter? Could they be on a circuit with a GFI in a compartment? One GFI usually has other outlets connected thru it so they are all protected. If you're sure you haven't missed a GFI, then take the outlet you think is closest to the breaker panel, unscrew it and check connections on the outlet and in that box. Then go on to the next box.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:36 PM   #3

yes they are all on the same breaker, weird part none of the breakers tripped.
no battery is hooked up. they were all working. I only see 2 gfi's 1 in kitchen other in bathroom.
I have only 3 breakers all same size, 1 is main red in color, the next is a/c, green in color, and general that is blue, then another 1 that say's general and blue in color, the last is microwave and blue.

| red | green, blue | blue, blue |
Old 01-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got meter? see if you have power into the breaker box and going out of each breaker.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #5

yup power there and coming out.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #6

These outlets are often "Daisy Chained " together so if the first outlet has a wire burned ,or fell out, of the back the rest will not work either.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #7

Well still stumped, took all outlets apart all good still no power. :(
I'm trying to remain calm, and deal with it. And trying to figure it out.
Would the inverter, converter have anything to do with it?
There hasn't been a battery on it since I got the tt.

thanks
Old 01-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #8

One question often asked is, have you missed a GFI somewhere? Have you checked the recept. at the fridge (access from exterior) or the one outside? There may be a GFI where you least expect it. The directory in the panel may or may not help. They're not particularly accurate or complete.

Used to have a Coachmen Catalina. The one and only receptacle I ever pulled out (to relocate it) had the wires just barely hanging on in the back. Very poor installation job and potentially hazardous. The receptacles in RVs are unique to RVs and manufactured homes. There's a plastic cover at the back covering the connections and inside, the wires are pushed onto a double-slotted "stab". It's supposed to be done with a special tool but who knows how they do it at the factory. If all else fails, you might check to see if a wire is not properly terminated at the receptacle.

Yes, the receptacles are connected in series so anything downstream of a tripped GFI or a defective one will kill the downstream ones. You may find that a non-contact voltage tester will help you because you won't have to get to any live parts.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
None of the outlets show any voltage but it's going out of all circuits in the power panel? The break must be in a junction box in the line between power panel and dead fixtures. You said you checked all the outlets, how about the overhead 120v light in the slide? Have you tightened all the screws on the wires leaving the panel? They can loosen over time from vibration. I guess next place to check is under the slide at the flexible connection that allows power into the moving part of the trailer. Are the outlets that are dead in the slide or in a place that suggests they are chained to the slide?

I'd think if you had an inverter, it'd be hooked to TV or outlet close to where it might be used for short times away from shore power. You mentioned you don't have a battery hooked up, you didn't remove it just before the present issue showed up, did you? If your thermostat, refrigerator, water heater, and furnace are all working without a battery, they are operating from the converter/charger, that's normal.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #10

This 2 replies in 1,
Myredracer, yup checked GFI's I can find 2 resettable's they are working, there is one near where the table is that's says gfi but not resettable. That seems fine, when taken apart. ( which I might add are a kinda crumby and difficult thing, not to mention the little wings holding them in argh!!) not really sure where else to look. I will also check the frig access since my frig was replaced it has an independent plugin for in. (Not sure why) gas is hooked up but not using the frig anyway. But maybe some fishy there.
and you are right panel doesn't say much. I may have to get me one of those tester's thanks
But I will see if I can find anymore.

To Bflinn181,
Well the slide has no outlets, but 1 light in the ceiling. So I think I will crawl under there and check that out. because all the outlets all looked ok and nothing loose.
When we looked at the TT, the battery was there but the place we got it from kept it. But we didn't mind we knew we'd be hooked up to shore power. Just wondered if that may have spurred an issue. Furnace works, hot water is gas. thermostat works.

So thank you both very much I will try those suggestions. I have one wall switch also that I remembered I didn't check, its next to a ceiling light that works so I assumed it was ok and that the outside bulb had just blown but not sure since I replaced bulb and nothing. So I guess I check that too. after the other simple things. Since I'm not looking forward to more swearing at an switch (outlet) LOL.

thank you both again.
I'll keep you updated.

Ginny
Old 01-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ginny,
The reason I mentioned the thermostat, refrigerator, water heater, and furnace is because they are all powered by 12 v DC. Some folks disconnect the battery and shore cord and don't understand why none of the items listed work. The fridge gets it's heat from LP gas or 120 v heating element, but it's controlled by a 12 v circuit board and interior light. Furnace and water heater also have 12 v control panels or fans using LP for heat. Furnace and Air Cond. won't work without 12 v power at the thermostat. You might want to install a battery in case you're shore power goes out, you'll lose everything unless you've got a generator, but then you couldn't start it without a battery!

When you buy a GFI outlet they sometimes come with little stickers to label other outlets protected by the GFI, sounds like that's what you're describing. All GFI primary outlets have a Test and Reset button to operate the internal electronics. Are your dead outlets grouped as to side or area of the trailer? If they are on the kitchen side, I'd check the outlet the fridge or microwave is plugged in to, it's not unheard of for one of those to be the GFI. I think it's stupid to hide them, but I don't design RVs, I just try to keep ahead of mine.

Is the non working outside light 120 v or 12 v? Most RVs have a 12 v porch light. Bulb and socket size tells the tale.

Keep at it, it's only copper and plastic, you will solve it!!

Bob & Donna
Old 01-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If you have an inverter, check the inverter carefully. Many inverters have the 120v shore power connecting through the inverter and protected by one or more breakers. These breakers are usually near the bottom of the inverter and will look like a small button that has popped out. Good luck!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineGinny View Post
That seems fine, when taken apart. ( which I might add are a kinda crumby and difficult thing, not to mention the little wings holding them in argh!!) not really sure where else to look.

Ginny
The RV receptacles seem kinda weird to folks who haven't had to work with them before. The little "wings" aren't all that hard to undo once you figure out how they work. They are called a self-contained device (SCD for short) like this Pass & Seymour one: http://208.78.153.165/literature/pdf..._Bro_frame.pdf You can see the rear of one in one of the pics. There are two parallel stabs for each of the white (neutral) and black (hot) wires. If you can ease a receptacle out of the wall, you can use the non-contact tester to see if the incoming and outgoing wires are live. If the outgoing wire is dead, then the wire is disconnected inside. If you've gone to the trouble of pulling one out, I would pop the back off anyway to see if the wires are pushed on properly.

Another thing you could do is a quick sketch of your unit and show all the receptacles on it. For the ones still working, shut breakers on and off until you find which circuit (breaker) they are on. Do that for every recept. you can find and mark on the drawing which ones are fed by which breaker. That *may* give you clue as to what's not working.

It's not quite clear if you checked the outside one. That can be a GFI.

BTW, it's 30 amps?
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #14

I'm assuming it shore power, I have no battery on board. Its always worked the bulb blew, I have to get the right size for it the ones I have for interior aren't the same. Interior are #1141, the one I need says #1004. all my lights and outlets worked up till a few days ago.
Some things with TT I'm new at, but learning fast.

Tags
power