Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Question It's Breaker Poppin' Time...

But Honey...All I want to do is have hot water, warm my coffee in the microwave and dry my hair while staying cool.
This is my input. Now the rest is being dictated by Gerry. So if he talks funny, I'll type funny.

At 30 amp service into the trailer...with the AC, electric hot water heater on...most anything else added pops the main breaker. ie: microwave, blow dryer...
Any suggestions?

Tammie and Gerry

tam and ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I can not believe the breaker did not blow clean out of the box with all that running
at one time.
You have to limit what is running at the same time that is all there is to it.

wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tam and ger View Post
..with the AC, electric hot water heater on...most anything else added pops the main breaker. ie: microwave, blow dryer...
Any suggestions?

Tammie and Gerry
Why do you have to heat HOT water? But seriously, can the water heater be switched to LP? I've had to explain to my DW about amps and power limitations, but she sometimes 'forgets' so I've taught her to reset the breaker on her own.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
oops, I guess I don't have to heat hot water.
tam and ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #5

Lets see, 30 amps times 120 volts= 3600 watts. Ohms law will tell you that anything over 3600 watts will blow your breaker switch either in the camper or at the breaker on the power pedestal outside. Oh by the way Ohms law is I= E x R I is the Amperage E is the power (voltage), and R is the resistance (wattage) your air conditioner will use up most of the budgeted power in your 30 amp rig. SOOOOO if you must use a hair dryer or microwave (usually around 900 - 1100 watts). shut something off and you will be OK.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
AC and Hot water = about 27 amps.. Capacity of a brand new quality 30 amp breaker (Long term) is 27 amps, So, Turn on a TV and later it should go CLICK. (Turn on a coffee pot and it should click NOW)

I commented the other day that my wife has trouble counting past 2.. That girl can pop breakers like you'd not believe.

Then to make it worse.. The last site I was on..... bad breaker (Was popping at 12 amps) Park JOAT (Jack Of All Trades) popped in a new breaker and fixed that one.

Site I'm on now..... Well it's 50 amp.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #7

We too, are 30 amper campers...........we always switch to LP when bath time comes for the hot water; the return it back to electric for any other time period.

I added a flush mount receptacle under the dinette near the front (easy to reach), and used a length of good quality extension cord out the back side of it (runs through the storage compartment and out a 3/8" drilled through the floor of the slide) Most campground have an outside receptacle with full hookups so we will plug in there, thus taking that extra load off of our system. We dedicate this receptacle to things like a space heater, or hair dryers, etc. In essence, things that we know will pull a lot of amps. When we get ready to leave, we simply unplug, slide the cable back up through the hole until the plug is bottomed out (just like you do with your power cord)

Total receptacle project costs were under $15.00, and that include a 'burger at the drive-thru from McDonalds....................while on my mission!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #8

GFE

Can You use a GFI at the Receptacle on this project?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
We too, are 30 amper campers...........we always switch to LP when bath time comes for the hot water; the return it back to electric for any other time period.

I added a flush mount receptacle under the dinette near the front (easy to reach), and used a length of good quality extension cord out the back side of it (runs through the storage compartment and out a 3/8" drilled through the floor of the slide) Most campground have an outside receptacle with full hookups so we will plug in there, thus taking that extra load off of our system. We dedicate this receptacle to things like a space heater, or hair dryers, etc. In essence, things that we know will pull a lot of amps. When we get ready to leave, we simply unplug, slide the cable back up through the hole until the plug is bottomed out (just like you do with your power cord)

Total receptacle project costs were under $15.00, and that include a 'burger at the drive-thru from McDonalds....................while on my mission!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #9

Yes, a GFCI is ideal; I did not use one as this location is not near any water source.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #10

I can not run my a/c and hot water heater at the same time. Trips the main breaker. So I keep my water heater on LP in the summer months. The microwave will do the same thing, if the a/c is on. It has been that way since new. Could I possibly have a weak breaker?
Joyce-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #11

In the last few days, the main breaker to my 30 amp connection (where I plug into the electric service) would trip when running my AC on "high." After tripping the breaker several times, and shutting down power to my trailer, I headed to the front office for maintenance.

I was sure that the circuit breaker in the RV park was bad and needed replacing.

The RV park maintenance guy came out and connected an amp meter (clamp style) to help troubleshoot the problem.

We turned on my AC on "high", then the hot water on electric (and ran water to make it heat), then I turned on several computers and a fan. The result was around 27 amps.

The breaker did not trip.

Then I started turning on lights which would load up the converter. As time went on, the amperage starting rising past 30 amps.

I pulled the battery cover off and discovered my 3 year old Walmart marine battery was leaking battery fluid around the positive post.

So, I thanked the maintenance guy, he took off and I pulled the battery.

I replaced the battery and converter (my replacement converter is a larger unit that what came with the trailer) - problem solved. I can run my AC on "high" and the breaker does not trip.

I made sure I went back and thanked the maintenance guy for helping to isolate the problem.

So, now I have to purchase another spare converter and I am covered for the future.

Captn' Louie
Commander of "The Mothership"
Old 05-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #12

You lost me! lol Was the problem only the battery, the inverter, or both? Can u draw more than 30amps when you are plugged into a 30amp outlet? Even with a new inverter...
Thank you!
Cheers,
Paul
Old 05-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Yep, that brings back memories. Our first 5th wheel (we were green as gourds about RVing at the time) was a 30 amp rig. We discovered its limitations VERY quickly on the first trip out. All of them since have been 50 amp RVs.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchfrkpaul
You lost me! lol Was the problem only the battery, the inverter, or both? Can u draw more than 30amps when you are plugged into a 30amp outlet? Even with a new inverter...
Thank you!
Cheers,
Paul
Sorry about that..... The breaker on the 30 amp outlet was 40 amps (1st time I seen that).

The battery was toast for sure. Since I carry a spare inverter, I installed it. The new inverter is a larger unit.