Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
Jacking question

Hello to all and there has been a lot of discussion about a safe method to jack a RV I have a 2004 keystone Cougar 30 ft bumper pull . I want to repack the wheel bearings and the way I am planning on jacking it this. I have a 2 ton bottle jack however I may need a 4 ton jack ? trailer weights 7000 lbs empty and I am guessing about 8,000 lbs loaded as I don't have much to load on it. I am going to place the bottle jack with a small block of wood under the U Bolts at the pad in the center. Any help on this would be appreciated . I am going to have tt hooked up To the TV and all wheels blocked to prevent moving . Thanks ahead of time

gibby72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
It sounds like you have the springs below the axle. If that is the case, you are good to go. If the springs are above the axle, then you need to be careful of putting pressure on a small area of the axle tube as it can be distorted. In this case you should make a hardwood block that contacts the u-bolts and axle to spread the load. Your 2 ton jack will be fine.

lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:03 PM   #3
A decent 3-4 ton floor jack is preferable to a 2 ton bottle jack imo.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
When I had new tires put on the Goodyear store jacked up on tube axle and I ask them and they said it would not hurt anything however I suppose they just don't know . Guess I will get a 4 ton Bottle jack and still do not know of a good place to jack from .any more comments would be appreciated
gibby72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
I use a truckers special 12 ton shorty hyd bottle jack under the axle tube next to the U bolt. The jack has a short legged channel that sits over the end of the jack and cradles the tube so the jack won't slip.
The axle tube on a std leaf spring suspension will not bend or crush or distort by jacking from it. Now I sure wouldn't place a jack towards the middle of the axle.

When I pulled trailers on the road I've jacked axles under fully loaded equipment trailers from 1750 lb axles on up to 10k axles with the old jack. This way all I'm lifting is one end of the axle instead of the whole side of the trailer.
Your trailer may weigh 7000 lbs on the axles or 1750 lbs per tire so it won't take much of a jack for that small weight

Now when at home I move my trailers up to the house and park them on the concrete pad in front of the garage. I can use my floor jack under the axle tube next to the U bolt.

Now if your trailer has a torsion axle system then you may have to jack the frame.
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #6
There are two diameters of axle tubes and three different wall thickness commonly used in trailer axles. Without knowing how much abuse your axle will take, don't let anyone jack on the tube alone. I had to pull mine out of a PA Inspection Station because the idiot was placing a huge jack that could only contact the axle way inboard.

Now again, if you have springs under the axle then jacking against the spring plate with your 2 ton jack will be fine.

lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote