Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #1

Jacking (tire change / bearing repack) question

We've had our trailer a year now. Luckily I've not had to do this to change a flat tire but since I'm considering re-packing the wheel bearings I've been looking at how to jack up the trailer. From looking at other postings on iRV2 I gathered that I would place a bottle jack under the square plate that attaches the axle to the leaf springs. However, on my plate there's a rivet that sticks out right in the middle of the plate (right where I would put the top of the bottle jack). I certainly don't think I would want the jack pushing up on that so I'm guessing I need to fashion a small wood block that would have a recess to clear the rivet and put the block between the jack and the plate. I'll cut the wood block so it fits squarely between the four corner bolts holding the axle to the spring. For good measure, I'm thinking I would put a recess in the wood block to capture the top of the bottle jack as well. Am I on the right track?
goliwagmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #2

Please don't forget a jack stand for safety.OND
oldnotdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #3

There is a ramp you can buy where you drive one tire onto the ramp and the other one is in the air. This is the safest wway to do it. It's also good to have because you will have a flat one day and most roadsides are soft soil where your jack would sink.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by goliwagmo View Post
We've had our trailer a year now. Luckily I've not had to do this to change a flat tire but since I'm considering re-packing the wheel bearings I've been looking at how to jack up the trailer. From looking at other postings on iRV2 I gathered that I would place a bottle jack under the square plate that attaches the axle to the leaf springs. However, on my plate there's a rivet that sticks out right in the middle of the plate (right where I would put the top of the bottle jack). I certainly don't think I would want the jack pushing up on that so I'm guessing I need to fashion a small wood block that would have a recess to clear the rivet and put the block between the jack and the plate. I'll cut the wood block so it fits squarely between the four corner bolts holding the axle to the spring. For good measure, I'm thinking I would put a recess in the wood block to capture the top of the bottle jack as well. Am I on the right track?
Yes, that would work just fine. I also carry a ramp (see post #3) that's invaluable for roadside emergencies.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #5

One could drive a tire up onto some wood blocks, then use a jack or build up more blocks to support unit. Then knock blocks from under tire. When done, let jack down or knock blocks down with a hammer.
BuckHardy151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your plan is right on track the only thing you didn't mention was the size of the jack you are using. I would recommend 2 to 3 times the the GVW just to give extra margin for safety. I use a 12 with a 4 ton back up.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing to consider is that wherver you put the jack this is going to affect the pivot point.. So the trailer may wish to tip forwrd or backward.. Now forward is not bad (tong jack should hold it) but back can be a PITA.

I will third jack stands..
Old 09-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #8

Safest point is to place the jack under the frame just fore/aft of the wheel. Once the tire is off the ground place a jack-stand beside the jack. Cleaning, inspecting, and re-packing the bearings is a messy job but not hard.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #9

On the FRAME??

Well, everything seemed clear until that last posting. If I jack up on the frame, then the wheels and axles are suspended by the springs. I'm going to have to jack up a lot further to get the wheel off the ground than if I jack under the spring. Jacking under the spring seems more logical, but I do have a concern about the fact that the spring sits directly behind the wheel and so I'm going to have to reach behind the wheel to operate the bottle jack. I'm also going to look into that ramp that everyone's been mentioning. Not sure how that works.
goliwagmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #10

My trailer grosses at 17400lbs, and several times I have used my 8 ton bottle jack to lift the wheel/tire using the spring mount plate, particularly when I was changing from 16" to 17.5" wheels. It definitely is a harder chore to lift on the frame due to the suspension drop. You can use the wood block between the jack and the pad--the 'rivet' should be a locating pin and you won't hurt anything but the wood block by placing it against the pin--it will simply make an indention in the wood around the pin.
A 2x4 in good condition should work, if it will fit between the jack and the pad.
Joe
And a jack stand should ALWAYS be used nearby on the frame to prevent the trailer from dropping if the jack slips. Chocking wheels, or staying hitched, will prevent the trailer from moving.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote