Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 07:44 AM   #1

Jackknife sofa repair

One of my supposed to be adult children decided to plop on the sofa like at home and snapped one of the welds on the wire spring mesh that the cushins rest on.

I am thinking I can either take the sofa out of the rv and braise the weld together myself with a propane torch and solder and flux or take it to a welder and have it insoected to see if it can be beefed up.

my concern is price, has anyone had to repair a jackknife sofa before and can reply with their expeirence?

thanks
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't imagine a welder would charge a lot if you took t to him. Maybe $50-100.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #3

Heck you can buy a cheap buzz box welder... Then just repair it yourself.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #4

I have a jackknife sofa, which is not very comfortable to sleep on. I was thinking of taking it out and putting in a pull out sofa. A local dealer said it can't be done because of the heat run below the box. I don't see why the heat run can't be run between the legs of the sofa. Had anyone else replaced a jackknife with a pull out sofa?
Michael77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:43 AM   #5

10-4 with Mopar1973Man

Harbor Freight has a nice Flux Welder on sale for $89 rite now ! You can fix your sofa, and have a new Tool !!!! Can never have enough tools
Old 02-27-2017, 07:18 AM   #6
IC2

A propane torch and solder just wont do the job. Neither will an acetylene torch and a braze with brass rod on, most likely, thin wall tubing without reinforcement with more metal.

While I agree with welding it yourself, a reasonable weld (that has some strength) is not something everyone can do without practice (lots of practice) . First time welders just don't get penetration -- or they blow right through the base metal. Of course there are those first timer welds that look like bird droppings too.

One of your friends may have a MIG welder that can fix this or a welding shop will do it for very little cost, also with a MIG or if you want to get fancy, a TIG welder. I have to say that my little hobby shop MIG welder has paid for itself many times over - but I also took lessons to make good strength welds.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair