Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #1

Jalousie window question?

I have a few jalousie windows in our TT that have a hard cranking torque operator.
I searched online about lubricating the torque operator and came up with some results, but have run into an issue. In the web reports I have read claim that you can unscrew the torque operator and pull the metal case apart to clean the gears and re lubricate.

The windows we have, this is not he case. I was able to remove the torque operator by drilling out the rivets that held it in the window frame(It was not installed with screws as I had read). Now that the torque operator is removed, I found out that this unit is somewhat hermitically sealed.

It appears that the two halves of the metal casing of the torque operator is sealed with what looks like the back side of a rivet (smashed down), but on the opposite side of the casing there are no heads to the three rivets holding this together.

My question is, is there any way to get lubricant into this casing of the torque operator? Or is this something I need to replace with a new one?

Also, if I have to purchase new torque operators, where do I find the type of rivets they used to hold this in the window frame. The heads on these rivets are round (like carriage bolt). Does this rivet use a special type of rivet gun?

Thanks for the help!

Here is the trailer:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_600.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	20848  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #2

Just my opinions here. The factory rivets are machine swedged/spun to a controlled distance so nothing is broken or when assembled it doesn't move if it is supposed to move. On our last trailer I replaced the torque operators and used aluminum rivets from a local hardware store. I swedged the rivets with a tool bought from the same store. It took me a few times to learn to swedge the rivets in small increments, one hard rap seemed to split the hollow rivet instead of swedging it to a convex head.
That's how I remember doing mine, hope it helps some.
Afterthought; I had to remove the entire window to have room to install the rivets.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Just my opinions here. The factory rivets are machine swedged/spun to a controlled distance so nothing is broken or when assembled it doesn't move if it is supposed to move. On our last trailer I replaced the torque operators and used aluminum rivets from a local hardware store. I swedged the rivets with a tool bought from the same store. It took me a few times to learn to swedge the rivets in small increments, one hard rap seemed to split the hollow rivet instead of swedging it to a convex head.
That's how I remember doing mine, hope it helps some.
Afterthought; I had to remove the entire window to have room to install the rivets.
Thanks for the info, Ray!

I will see if I can find this tool and what I am up against. I am also considering using a very fine screw with a rounded head and then back it up with a lock washer and nut to hold the torque convertor in place. There seems to be room to do it this way and that may be an option.....not really decided as of yet.

Beings we are putting in all new walls, ceiling and floors, we figure it would be best to remove all the windows to reseal them and while we are at it, replace all torque operators.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #4

It just occurred to me, you might be able to use "jew screws" at least that is what the horse harness industry calls them. One end is a slotted-head screw, the other end(nut) looks like a screw except with internal threads. Lock-Tite on the threads to hold them tight. Some belt buckle loops are held using these screws too. Just a hair-brained idea thrown out there.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #5

Our Sunline had jalousie windows and we just oiled the cranks and all moving parts. That worked like a charm.

Tags
window