Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #1

Jayco comment

I am looking at a Jayco white hawk 21 FBS tt ,I like to hear comments?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #2

About workmanship, quality, floor plan, cost? What year?

Old 12-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #3

If it has the welded fabricated beam made from 3 pieces of sheet steel, I'd steer clear of it. Those frames are flimsy and can cause all sorts of problems. I'm pretty sure some of the Whitehawk's do. JMHO...
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:07 AM   #4

We too are looking at Jayco White Hawks. According to the Jayco web site regarding the White Hawk frame: "I-Class structural I-beam frame: One-piece design, provides more durability than a welded three-piece frame".
Old 01-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #5

Interesting notes by Jayco on the frame and that they recognize a difference. At the last RV show here in Oct., I saw both types of frames on the Whitehawks and I thought it was odd to have both on the same model. Perhaps there was some early production run testing? KZ tried the BAL/Norco Ultraframe in around last May and went back to the 3-piece design on their Connect line. They had both on the lot at our local dealer last time I was there.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #6

What does the three piece frame look like.

I was looking at mine which is a 6 inch I beam and it looks to be all one piece.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #7

In cross-section (looking at the end of the I-beam), it consists of a continuous individual upper and lower flange and vertical "web" in the middle. All 3 pieces are continuously welded on both sides from the front to rear end of the beam. Until you get close to it, it looks like a normal one-piece forged beam. They're easy to find by just reaching down and running a finger along a seam and it will feel rough. I've only seen these on ultra-lites and am guessing only because they are a bit lighter? A "regular" I-beam feels smooth in comparison.

If they really wanted to, they *could* re-inforce these fabricated I-beams by installing gussets, welding 2x2 to the underside of the beams, using 4" tall spring hangers instead of the 6" ones and better bracing and welding of the x-members. If a person already has these I-beams, adding cross-bracing between the spring hangers like the ones Mor/Ryde has would help.

To clarify a bit further, all of the forged I-beams I've seen so far consist of 3 individual lengths of beam butt-welded together to form a longer beam.

The I-beams are typically 6" tall but the one we're getting on our new TT is going to be 8" tall which will be a lot more rigid. It seems like the problem with the fabricated 3-piece beams is that because they are made from mild steel, they have a low tensile strength and higher degree of elasticity. When TT owners end up with frame cracks, it's typically happens around where the cross-bracing is welded onto the side of the I-beam. It's often not gusseted or braced and the welds are only partial and the weaker mild steel will end up with fatigue cracks. I know of one person who has had this happen to the "3-piece" I-beam.

Problem is, down the road, and often well after your warranty has expired, Lippert will just tell you that you overloaded your frame and it's your fault. From my own experience, Lippert told us that our frame was "within spec". It wasn't until I forced the issue by going to a gov't certified frame shop that I proved there was indeed a problem. I can't say that all of these types of frames are going to be a problem, but if I were looking to buy again, I'd simply give these inherently weaker frames a pass. Lippert will say it's the TT manufacturers that spec them this way while the manufacturers will say it because of the way Lippert makes them. I find it to be troubling that they keep producing them regardless. It's not something to take lightly. The frame shop said it's a case of "when" our frame would fail, not "if". And the factory rep. I met at a show advised to stop using our TT. Also interesting was that the frame shop said that no amount of remedial to our frame would ever make it as strong as it should have been in the first place. I've sure learned a lot about frames in 2013 that I never thought I would....
Old 01-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #8

Well I went outside to check mine. It looks like it is a solid 6 inch I beam.

Maybe if you are free one day we can meet up and you could pass on some good info to me.

Thanks
Old 01-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #9

[QUOTE=Fast0ne;1866105Maybe if you are free one day we can meet up and you could pass on some good info to me. Thanks [/QUOTE]

Sure, you can count on it!
Old 01-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #10

Great. I will send you a pm with my info.