Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #15

If the roof leaks on any trailer then roof rot is the least of the problems. Water intrusion is the #1 enemy of any camper. Check seals yearly if not more frequent. The water leak from a roof can ruin the ceiling and the water runs all over in the walls...mold, rot, deformation, delamination and all the fun associated with water intrusion will become your first priority. Search roof leaks on the site and read about the horror stories. Just my humble opinion that doesn't mean much. Fun reading though.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 07:38 PM   #16

Some very good trailers use wood. The now defunct upscale Excel trailers had wood studs in the sidewall. Wood will hold screws better than aluminium. I would not eliminate a trailer based on wood trusses or not.

There is a Grand Design Reflection trailer in the RV Park that looks very nice and upscale. Grand Design is a newer company that makes very nice trailers. They are probably better insulated than the Jayco.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:51 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We just traded in our 2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS for an Outdoors RV Wind River. I know there are some loyal Jayco owners and I don't mean to offend anyone, but our Jayco was very poor quality. Having said that and having researched bumper-pull trailers for going on a year now, I believe the entire industry suffers from a lack of quality. We had little go wrong within the 2-year warranty period, but noticed sloppy workmanship, such as dried glue spread on the outside of trim, mismatching trim applied, and other similar afflictions that were discouraging. The kitchen table never did stay put, no matter what we did. It always sunk down and we'd have to manually pull it up to be able to sit down. After the 2-year warranty period expired, we started having all sorts of issues. One of the worst things was that the "wooden" paper that covered the frame around the slide started bubbling. We stored it for the winter and when we looked at it again about a month ago, the pressed wood under the paper had begun to disintegrate. We could not keep mice out of that thing, no matter what we did. We think they had a blast with the loose insulation in places we could not see, which was one reason we traded it in and did not sell it outright. The plumbing was a mess and the heater never really worked right. We paid almost double for our Wind River, but after owning that Jayco, we decided that we were willing to pay more to own a better product. Keep in mind we only had that thing a little over three years and bought it brand new.
rseniordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #18

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseniordude View Post
Having said that and having researched bumper-pull trailers for going on a year now, I believe the entire industry suffers from a lack of quality.
Amen to THAT!!!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:58 AM   #19

I fully agree with rseniordude. I'm happy with my Jayco at the price I paid. This isn't isn't a knock on Jayco but shows why so many campers have quality issues. They are built in hours. As cost goes up one would hope quality goes up but that's not always the case. Anyway this short Jayco video shows how they are produced in 6 hours start to finish. Again...I'm happy with my Eagle but in the construction you can see the rushed work like so many other camper brands.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=jXMJrRQ3SVk
Old 04-18-2015, 10:58 AM   #20

Jayco is not the Jayco of 10 years ago. Their quality has flipped over the years and they use cheaper materials. Last Jayco I had was a White Hawk, we kept it 4 months and traded it. Poor quality, air holes at seams, on and on. Traded for a Winnebago One difference of night and day.
GWDawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #21

Too bad the RV industry is not like the auto industry. Instead of quality going up on RV's it is as crappy as ever. The is very little automation building an RV causing variations in quality of similar units.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #22

Buying an RV is like when people buy a used car or truck and someone says they won't buy used because you just get someone else's problems. I guess we're getting some RV manufactures problems when we buy, and that's buying new. Really sad. What's even worse is it doesn't matter if you spend $20,000 or $100,000 on a trailer. They both have issues.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Too bad the RV industry is not like the auto industry. Instead of quality going up on RV's it is as crappy as ever. The is very little automation building an RV causing variations in quality of similar units.
the car industry is slightly different, there are imports, none for the

RV business (none that i know of)

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #24

Jayco Owners Club
Funny thing about RVs... When someone buys mine they'll be buying better than new, because I've fixed all the problems. Not everyone is handy, and not everyone that works on trailers for a living is good at it. So, in my opinion, it's a crap shoot either way.

So far I've narrowed my search down to Grand Design Reflection TTs, Winnebago Ultra-Lites, Jayco Eagle TTs, and possibly Solaire Eclipse TTs by Palomino. I need some more suggestions along those price lines. I have plenty of time to look, like 18 months to retirement. I'd like to have it purchased and some of the problems located and fixed by then.

I've heard a lot about Outdoors and Arctic Fox, but no dealers close... What's an impetuous boy to do?
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #25

We love our Winnebago One, but I don't think they are being manufactured anymore.
GWDawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:53 AM   #26

Correct...now Winnebago One models. They are showing Ultralite and Voyage trailers in addition to the Minnie line.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco, jayco eagle