Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Jayco Eagle TT???

Well, I'll at least be well informed by the time I pull the TT trigger again. I looked at a Jayco Eagle TT last Friday and it looked pretty solid. One thing their website says is that they are using wood-trussed roofs. I am not sure I like that, but I'm not sure I don't. I am trying to be as thorough as possible with my research because I really don't want to buy another trailer after this one... ever.

So... please, if you have real-world experience with Jayco, and particularly with the Eagle or Eagle Premier TTs, let me know your experiences. I am most interested in the quality of construction, frame, suspension, and if you've had a lot of leaks or other problems.

So far I like this trailer and the Reflection by Grand Design. Both seem to be better built than many... but both are more expensive... I'm just trying to figure out if either one is worth the extra expense. I have heard that you "get what you pay for"... but haven't had that to always be the case...

Thanks for replies... and happy camping!

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #2

A good wood framed trailer can be very sturdy. Our 2002 Sunline trailer was stick built, and it held up extremely well to 10 years of use. As with any trailer, regardless of how it's built, it's a matter of maintaining any joint that has lap sealant and keeping water away from where it doesn't belong. I don't have any personal experience with Jayco products.

scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #3

walk

just checked my 2015 outback they use

steel trusses.

Jim
Old 04-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
I know the walls are aluminum framed and vacuum bonded. The roof trusses are wood from the info on the webpage. I'm not sure that's all bad... and I'm not sure I'd walk because of it. I would be happier if they were steel or a heavy-gauge aluminum.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I believe Jayo owners have a forum...you may want to check that out and get feed back from them.
We have a Jayco dealer in town...wouldn't buy from them as their service dept is reported not to be the greatest.
Like anything else " let the buyer beware"
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #6

We have wood trusses on our Northwood 5er. They've been making TT/5ers for years that way. I wouldn't worry at all about whether the trusses were wood or aluminum. I would be more concerned about how the trusses were made. I want the strongest roof so when I go up to clean it or inspect it I'm not feeling like I'm walking on an air mattress. Jayco's pretty proud of their wood trusses. JMO but if it ain't broke don't fix it. I've never read anything discouraging about Jayco's wood trusses. IMO it seems like a good design.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
Based on the 338RETS I looked at earlier this year, Eagles are not a well insulated as they used to be. They also have less A/C capacity available (13.5k BTU max instead of 15k), probably due to the single A/C duct running down the ceiling 0there are fewer A/C vents, as well). I also seriously doubt the roof is a wood truss as claimed since the ceiling inside is domed just like the roof. Based on a picture from a tour someone posted, some of the fivers use a stamped sheet metal truss instead of a wooden one to get that domed ceiling and I suspect that is what the 338RETS has. Since 2012, Jayco keeps getting cheaper and cheaper in quality. It's pity since I really like the floor plan of the 338RETS.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #8

We have a 2014 Jayco eagle 298 RLDS. For the most part we love the TT knowing at this price point there are compromises. I'm fine with the roof trusses as I can walk on them without flex. Quality is generally good with some dumb initial quality issues (nothing big and covered by the 2yr warranty). Very comfortable but remember these units are built quick and cheap even though they look beautiful. Standard RV parts are used for heating, AC (get the second unit if you can), refer, kitchen, etc. The jensen radio and speakers suck but that's one of my few complaints. If I were going to go full time I would opt for a higher end 5ver. What really matters to me is when we are inside it feels great and stuff works the way it should. Yes, i wish I had more cargo capacity and storage but for how we use it today the setup is perfect for us. This winter we added solar and now it's that much more versatile. Quality is good enough and better than many we have looked at for the price point. Would I purchase this unit again? YES.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #9

I pull a 30 foot 2009 Jaco Eagle TT. I was advised to NOT walk on the roof and I don't. It has been a good rig with few problems. I would buy another Jaco if I were in the market.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #10

Here is a video on the Jayco roof truss system. It's jayco marketing but you get some info on what's under the rubber.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:04 AM   #11

Forgot to post the Jayco owners forum. I don't think you will find many different answer on the owners forum as compared to irv2 but the more info the better. Good luck.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/
Old 04-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
Thanks for your opinions and observations. Current owners here and elsewhere seem satisfied, and as mentioned, the price point must be considered. I'm not rich so I HAVE to consider it. I am torn between these and the Grand Design Reflection. The Reflection is similarly priced at the MSRP point, but I'm not sure how the dealers markups are between the two manufacturers.... but I'm at least a year out. Nothing beats good research.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #13

Keep asking questions and learn all you can. Don't forget a gently used TT a couple years old is also another option. Good luck in your search.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #14

rot

my concern with wood would be rot if the roof leaked, a rotted truss would

be a real pain to repair.

Jim

Tags
jayco, jayco eagle