Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #1

Jayco feather lite travel trailer

Hi - Looking to buy a winter cover for the above TT. It is 29' - that's the length of the trailer itself only. Need some input as what type to buy and suggestions for where to buy. Is polypropylene best or tyvek? Tyvek "breathes" but I've notice their warranties aren't as good.
Thanks for any help - Gail
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
edj

If there is any chance that you may want to use the trailer again before the Spring Thaw, do not put a cover on it. The snow/ice will freeze the cover to the trailer and it will be near impossible to get it off. Also, there is a risk of the cover wearing the finish off the sides/roof where it rubs when the wind blows it around. If you decide to put a cover on, be sure to pad corners and any other place that may rub.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #3

Our campground closes 10/12 and reopens 5/15. We will be closing up by 10/12. So with this info do you still recommend not covering it? It seems everyone at the camp covers their trailers - some just use large tarps. I thought buying a "real" cover would be better than a tarp?? Now I'm real confused!
Gail
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
edj

I bought a tyvek cover when I had a pop-up. I used it for several years before I gave up on it. The biggest problem I had was not being able to get the cover off late Winter when we wanted to go on a Winter Break trip down south. The dirt will still get under the cover and it will still get wet. So it will require a good washing to get it cleaned off after you remove the cover. The cover also wore down the trailer finish on some corners. I noticed it after the first year and padded those areas with foam rubber from then on. The cover does not last all that long though. When I gave up using it, it was getting pretty worn and had thin material that tore relatively easily. I had a lot of tape on it holding the tears together. For what it cost, I do not feel that I got any real benefit or advantage from it.

The RV roof and exterior is made to withstand the elements of Winter quite well. As long as yearly maintenance is kept up by checking/repairing any caulk/seals, there is really no good reason to use a cover. But, some people swear by the covers and if they want to spend the money for it and go through the extra work of putting it on and removing it, more power to them.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
GPW

We decided to eliminate the yearly caulk/sealing hassle and go with Eternabond tape ,the kind with the white UV strip on top ... Now we can just do a monthly washing/ look over and be done with it ...
Our Jayco dealer wanted $1200.00 for a re -caulk job ...
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
Hi - Looking to buy a winter cover for the above TT. It is 29' - that's the length of the trailer itself only. Need some input as what type to buy and suggestions for where to buy. Is polypropylene best or tyvek? Tyvek "breathes" but I've notice their warranties aren't as good.
Thanks for any help - Gail
We have one we bought at Camping World about 4/5 yrs ago. I think it is Tyvek or similar. We have had not any problems or wear that I can see. If your TT is parked where it is windy and/or dusty, the above posts are probably good advice. Our TT is parked behind the garage and protected from the wind and here in western Wa. we don't have much dust. It is pretty much protected from wind from all directions. The way it is fitted and tied down it is pretty tight and it has zippers for access to TT.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote