Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #1

jayco vs forest river

looking to upgrade from our chalet pop up to a 20ft trailer after looking at a lot!!!! of trailers we have narrowed it down to 3 forestriver surveyor sp-189 jayco jay feather ultra lite 197 or 165 skyline nomad 189 thank you for your help..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
We looked into the jayco but there was no slide out. We looked at the next one down and it's a Shasta Revere. Very nice slide out, excellent workmanship, deep drawers, well made. Check them out.good price and good product. Strong trailer. We could have picked beteeen jayco and shast, we picked the shasta.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Shasta is made by forest river
Old 09-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Both are a good brand so pick the unit that you like best and you will be happy.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #5

thanks for the info we picked up the jayco 197 with slide out dinette. lots of room for the dogs
Old 09-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would pick a Jayco over the FR any day.

Ken
Old 09-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #7

The one thing I noticed about the Jayco lites is that most (almost all) of them have slideout bed. That's something my wife doesn't like......it's a security issue for her. Just my/our 2 cents.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #8
GPW

JMHO, owning a Jayco Feather Sport 197 , after numerous problems , and doing the repairs myself , I found the construction to be shabby ,Very hastily done and using sub par materials (looks like scrap wood ) ... Sloppy , ill fitting joinery , 3/32” plywood roof with the thin plastic (TPO of the thinnest/cheapest grade ) draped over sharp edges ... Dry fit windows that leak and cause de-lamination ... Many problems and the factory was of NO help after the warranty ran out ... My dealer even insultingly called it a “disposable “ trailer ... I really don’t think $20,000 is “disposable “ ... not for me anyway ... But his answers to all my pre sale questions were all Lies any way ... so I can’t trust him either ...

Jayco , NEVERMORE !!!!

Even the wife is now saying don’t bother to repair it anymore as it’s only going to fall apart soon anyway ...

Buying a Quality trailer these days requires a Good Bit of research and effort on the part of the buyer to even get something decent .... And a good bit of knowledge about trailer construction since all seem to be built on a “price point” and not a Quality point ...

And best check on how much weight it can Really carry .... On mine the cargo weight didn’t include the options , like the awning, spare tire , battery , radio, RVQ, etc.etc. so effectively if the wife and I both step into the trailer , it’s effectively overweight ...

Buyer BEWARE !!!!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
GPW

BTW, isn’t Forest River owned by Warren Buffet ... who pays No taxes ???
Old 09-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPW View Post
JMHO, owning a Jayco Feather Sport 197 , after numerous problems , and doing the repairs myself , I found the construction to be shabby ,Very hastily done and using sub par materials (looks like scrap wood ) ... Sloppy , ill fitting joinery , 3/32” plywood roof with the thin plastic (TPO of the thinnest/cheapest grade ) draped over sharp edges ... Dry fit windows that leak and cause de-lamination ... Many problems and the factory was of NO help after the warranty ran out ... My dealer even insultingly called it a “disposable “ trailer ... I really don’t think $20,000 is “disposable “ ... not for me anyway ... But his answers to all my pre sale questions were all Lies any way ... so I can’t trust him either ...

Jayco , NEVERMORE !!!!

Even the wife is now saying don’t bother to repair it anymore as it’s only going to fall apart soon anyway ...

Buying a Quality trailer these days requires a Good Bit of research and effort on the part of the buyer to even get something decent .... And a good bit of knowledge about trailer construction since all seem to be built on a “price point” and not a Quality point ...

And best check on how much weight it can Really carry .... On mine the cargo weight didn’t include the options , like the awning, spare tire , battery , radio, RVQ, etc.etc. so effectively if the wife and I both step into the trailer , it’s effectively overweight ...

Buyer BEWARE !!!!!!

So.....where to research? I mean, in today's world there's got to be a place to get information on what's hot and what's not in TTs.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:58 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
We've owned three (3) Jaycos - a Cardinal pop-up (our first "RV") and two Designer 5th wheels. All have been good, reliable RVs at their respective price points, and our experience is that Jayco's customer service is second to none. We've only had to use it on buyout items (e.g., a bad cooling unit on a Norcold fridge), but when our selling dealer couldn't get us in for weeks, Jayco located an alternate local shop (a non-Jayco dealer), made all the arrangements and got us in the same day we called.

For what it's worth.....that's our experience.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote