Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #1

Jayco vs Keystone

Who do you like better and why???? I saw floor plans on both I liked not ready to buy yet. I like to do a bit of research before I plop down $$$$

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #2

I tried to buy a Passport TT by Keystone a couple of years ago, but the dealer didn't stand up to his promise to "beat any deal anywhere." I don't remember why I liked that one so much but... Anyway, I got a nice TT at a better price, so it worked out for the better.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #3

Keystone makes an "ok" product, but very mass-market. Lots of Jaycos out there too, but I got a better impression from them.
They vary widely from one product to the next, so specific units you are considering will get more "traffic" to your question.
No one wants to post "Keystones suck- Jaycos rule".

I looked at both and bought something else. Not a quality or price question alone. Also weights and options we wanted/needed.
Just my $0.02.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #4

Welcome to the looking stage. I have owned Jayco and my brother currently owns one that is 10 years old. Both held up well. I have a friend who owned a Sportsman and traded it in for a Keystone and wishes he still had the Sportsman. He is not happy with the quality. But why limit yourself to those two brands?

When we were looking (and looking...and looking), we kept track of what we liked and what we didn't. We finally found one that had all of our "needs" and most of our "would like to haves" and purchased it. It is a FunFinder from Cruiser RV.

My point is to keep an open mind. With most components manufactured by the same companies (i. e. Refrigerators, stoves, furnace, flooring material, warranties, etc.), the difference between brands might not be that great. How it is put together and floor plans are what vary. Find the one you are happy with and make your purchase.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #5

Have seen lots say their Jayco is great. Have read a lot more say Keystone is not good. I've had a few Keystone owners say never again. Jayco (like KZ too) has a 2 year warranty which says something. Read the forums for issues owners have had. It's not just the brand either, sometimes it can be the dealer that is bad. (BTDT). A bad dealer can ruin your experience just as much as a bad TT. Be wary of anything called "ultra-lite" too. It's means less substantial construction to save weight.

All TT brands and models have some kind of issues from simple to severe. Some are simply lemons because they were built on the wrong day of the week with a full moon. There's a wide range in quality between the different brands and models but it is sooo hard to choose a good one. If you want to start with one of the better ones out there, take a look at Wind River line by Outdoors RV. They seem to care about quality and features, but will be up there in price. I'm quite impressed with what there description.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would take Jayco over Keystone.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #7

We are on our 2nd Jayco and are very happy with it, never owned a Keystone product so not able to compare.
Jayco does have a 2 year warranty.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Can't comment on Keystone as I've never owned one, but I've owned 3 Jaycos, a Cardinal pop-up and 2 Designer 5th wheels. All have been good, solid rigs that gave us years of enjoyment. As mentioned, Jayco has the 2 year bumper-to-bumper warranty and an additional 3 years of structural warranty, and their customer service is exemplary.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #9

We traded in our 2007 Jayco Eagle 322FKS for a 2014 Keystone Cougar High Country 321RES trailer. Jayco is a good trailer with some limitations. Their slide out floors did not have any insulation (just plywood) so it was cold in the cold temps. My wife was constantly telling me to pound the staples back in the walls. Why there were so many staples is beyond me. We had delamination on the rear side wall.
Our Keystone is lighter- bigger and easier to pull than the Jayco was. Plus there are no staples in the walls ANYWHERE!!
Quality of cabinets- bedding- window treatments is much better in the Keystone.
Your choice- good luck.
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #10

I agree, trying to see which trailer is "best" isn't going to work, as people like different things for different reasons. I've had: a fleetwood, 2 Citations, a Sunline, a Fleetwood wilderness, and now own a Jayco.

my advice is a little outside the box. perhaps go with the dealer that is closest to you. If you ever have a problem, having them nearby may help.

however, I do also like that Jayco offers a 2 yr warrenty. any camping shows in your area in the near future? I live in NJ, and Raritan Center in Edison, NJ has a huge camping show in January. lots of different brands in one place. sometimes a difference in floorplans or decor, makes all the difference.

enjoy the search! Ricky T's
Old 11-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #11

Keystone for the most part is very very cheaply built, and poorly. I've have a good number torn apart and don't care for their construction.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #12

I would say that it boils down to what come the closest to what you are looking for. Floor plan, features, dealer, PRICE. I have owned a Jayco Designer. Nice unit well built but after 5 years things were starting to fall apart. The cabinetry was not all that great for a high end RV and the trim and window dressing left a lot to be desired. You can get a lemon in any RV no matter the manufacture. I am sure keystone makes some good units in the higher end of there line.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Keystone for the most part is very very cheaply built, and poorly. I've have a good number torn apart and don't care for their construction.
Just the opposite. My Passport is very well and solidly built, and not cheap att all, like most good ultralights; the problems I have are mostly coming from poor quality supplied parts (switches, countertops damaged by moisture, etc.)
Old 11-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #14

I own a 2013 Jayco Pinnacle 5er and I like a features and the layout as compared to others in the same class. However, when you look closely, a few of the light switches a a little crooked and so is the toilet seat. Also we fine metal shavings fromdrilling in the carpet. No big deal I guess. But we love it. It handles tows well and is a peasure to enjoy from the inside too.