Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #1

Jayco White Hawk vs. Cruise RV's Shadow Cruiser

The wife and I have just spent the last 2 weekends at the Pamoma Fair Grounds RV show. Suposedly the largest RV show on the west coast. Needless to say, I am currently suffering from a severe case of information overload. Needing two Advil.... Stat...
After these 2 weekends, we have narrowed down our solection to 2 different TT, both being a 2014 model. One being the Jayco White Hawk Ultra Lite 28DSBH and the other being the Cruiser RV's Shadow Cruiser 282BHS. Both have almost identical floor plans, which works perfectly for our family needs. What is it coming down to is the wife is leaning towards the Shadow Cruiser and I am leaning towards the White Hawk. To break it down it is the old question of function over form vs form over function. Both priced the same. The wife likes the Shadow cruiser becuase it comes with a kitchen island, nicer sofa and looks nicer on the outside. Which she is right, the TT looks great and has the fiberglass front end. Sharp looking rig.
I am leaning towards the White Hawk becuase it appears to be made much bettter. The "A" frame structure where the hitch is located passes through the front piece on the main frame and is welded there and then the "A" frame structure keeps going and is welded to the sides of the main frame. Versus the Shadow Cruiser's "A" frame is welded to the botton of the main frame on the front pcs and the 2 side pcs. The White Hawk roof appears to be stonger and is made out of Alpha Ply one pcs and the Shadow Cruiser roof is a one pcs made of stretched rubber, plus carries an extra 10 gallons of water and comes with a 2 year warrantly versus the Shadows Cruisers 1 year warranty. Obviously this post is geared towards the Jayco and my wife isn't hear to plead her case. Know what your thinking, I might have a chance of winning this aurgument or at least on this post...

My questions are;
1. Has anyone had any issues with the "A" frame structure being welded to the underside of their TT's main frame? It seems to me this area is subjected to a great amount of stress and could be a failer point.
2. Has anybody have any experiance with these 2 TT and their manufactures, good, bad or otherwise?

Looking for any feedback.

Thanks
Mark

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #2

We recently purchased a Cruiser RV Fun Finder 21wsk and after returning from our first 2000 mile trip can say we are very happy with it. The only issue we have had is some of the recessed hinges have come out of the cabinets over the couch which was easily repaired with the help of some Gorilla Glue and my handy DH. The trailer behaves wonderfully while towing and does look great in the campground.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
My first TT was a 2010 Shadow Cruiser. I had no problems with it (except the matress was awful) but a window got broken. I took it out and took it to a glass shop. That's when I realized that the walls were 1" thick. After a few trips I realized it was really too small, and my daughter and son-in-law wanted it... so we moved up. We went with a different manufacturer and I did a lot of homework. The fact is that almost all parts of these things are made by the same companies. About all you can do is research, as you are doing, how they are made and decide what is most important to you. My current one has 2" thick walls with more aluminum framing than most, but still has the rubber roof, and so forth. Not dissing the Shadow cruiser, by any means. Had I been single, I'd have kept it...

Enjoy making your choice... and your trailer afterwards...

JW
Old 10-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #4

Kdjay and Schrederman, thank you both for your imput. Yesterday the wife and I went out to the dealer and we really took a hard look at the Shadow Cruiser. Overall the trailer is a beautiful rig, but it had some little issues that made the both of us looked at each other and say it looks cheap. There was a broken faucet, the hardware on the outdoor kitchen was rusty and it looks like the manufactrue cut the corners on the tires. Some of the little things I am sure would have been fixed during the inspection. Things like the tires and a rusty hardware made me decide against the trailer. How much more would have cost the manufacuture to buy hardware that wouldn't rust, 10 bucks?
I am sold now on the Jayco White Hawk, but wife isn't so sure. So, I guess the hunt goes on...
Old 10-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #5

My brother went through the same process a little while back and bought the Jayco.

I believe the Jayco had double the warranty, which helped. They are pretty nicely made for their price-point.

We looked at some Lance and Winebago trailers they were very nice. You might prefer the Lance. The Lance is made in Southern California, not far from Pomona.

But I think the Jayco is great.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tires

They all skimp on tires.

But second that vote for Lance. We had an Arctic Fox made by the same people who make Lance and it was the most solid TT we ever owned. Not the fanciest, the sturdiest.

But, you know what they say: happy wife = happy home. I.e. Get the one she likes.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:40 AM   #7

Might want t follow this threadRV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Jayco Whitehawk 30'
Old 07-08-2015, 09:52 PM   #8
ksw

Unhappy 2015 shadow cruiser

Please be patient with me. This is my first time at posting anywhere. We purchased a 282 Cruiser in Feb. Went on our 3rd trip to Mt Rushmore. The trailer's frame is twisted. Totally wrecked. Tire ripped up because axle bent. I saw that Mark was torn between the Jayco and the Cruiser. We owned a Jayco for 7 previous years and never had but one problem. Minor. We are sorry we did not stay with the Jayco. Now we are waiting on the Manufacturer to decide whether or not they will fix the twisted frame. I wish there were lemon laws on RV's. Quite a costly mistake.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:25 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Being on the market for a new TT myself, I'd probably pick the Jayco over the Shadow Cruiser, having looked at both brands, lately. My personal choice is a Winnebago 28DDBH, but I can't get 2 A/C units on it... so my search continues. Not dissing the Shadow Cruiser, but the latest ones I looked at didn't seem to measure up even to the small one I had.

KSW, I wish you luck in getting satisfaction with your unit. This is supposed to be fun... not the hassle you're having.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksw View Post
Please be patient with me. This is my first time at posting anywhere. We purchased a 282 Cruiser in Feb. Went on our 3rd trip to Mt Rushmore. The trailer's frame is twisted. Totally wrecked. Tire ripped up because axle bent. I saw that Mark was torn between the Jayco and the Cruiser. We owned a Jayco for 7 previous years and never had but one problem. Minor. We are sorry we did not stay with the Jayco. Now we are waiting on the Manufacturer to decide whether or not they will fix the twisted frame. I wish there were lemon laws on RV's. Quite a costly mistake.
KSW, I'm so sorry for all the trouble (Costly Trouble) yhall' have experienced with your Cruiser. My wife and I are in the market for a new TT and we have looked at almost everything and make it seems, the Shadow Cruiser being one of them. They are great looking units, but I can't help but feel they are some lesser quality than others in their class. Not dissing either, just my personal opinion and observation. I certainly hope that the Cruiser Co. will do right by you and either correct this costly and potentially dangerous flaw or will replace the trailer for another. I wish you all the best. Lemon Laws should certainly exist in all states concerning Recreational Vehicles. Not only for the cost effectiveness to the consumer, but for the safety on our roadways as well. God's Speed, and again, Good Luck.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #11

We are quite happy with our White Hawk. I have done several upgrades to make it better. Digital thermostat, new faucet in bath sink, new fan in bath, EMS (energy management system, for surge protection and high and low voltage protection)

Go to the Jayco Owners Forum, most folk are pretty happy with their Jaycos.

We have always thought that an island in a TT takes up a lot of space and hinders the flow of traffic. Also slideouts with appliances in them have moving gas and electric lines that might have more problems.
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #12

We have a 2013 Whitehawk 31DSLB that we have been very happy with.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #13

We moved up from a Fun Finder 19FBR to a Jayco 26BH. I'm not sure these compare to the models you are looking at but I far prefer my Jayco to the Fun Finder. It sounds like you're doing a good job comparing trailers. I would take well built over pretty and day.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #14
ksw

Thanks for your support RoadyRose. Dealership has denied fix. Cruiser RV denied fix. Lippert denied the fix. The shop said the axles are underrated for the size of the trailer (282bh). Lippert said the trailer had been "curbed". Shop says no. Just to let you know how things are going. Been out of use since July. Don't want to go out and have the axle totally break off. If the axles are too weak together then a flat on one axle would be a disaster. We are still going to fight this. Ducks are getting lined up!!

Tags
rvs