Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2017, 04:06 PM   #1

Smile Jeep Grand Cherokee: Micro Minnie or Minnie Drop?

Hi, I currently have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 with Tow Package (max towing: 6200 lbs, max trailer tongue: 620 lbs).

I am considering purchasing either a Micro Minnie 1706FB (length: 19'2, dry weight: 2980 lbs, dry hitch weight: 300) or a Minnie Drop 170S (length: 20'4, dry weight: 2800, dry hitch weight: 290). Both models have similar floorplans, but the Micro Minnie is a tandem axle trailer with a standard design while the Minnie Drop is a single axle trailer with a retro teardrop profile and slideout.

I have never towed a travel trailer before (only driven Class Cs), so I wanted to get your thoughts on a) which would be an easier trailer to tow for a first-timer and b) if a Grand Cherokee would be a sufficient tow vehicle for either of these trailers. I plan to take the trailer to USFS campgrounds, so I'll be driving into the mountains about once a month.

Thank you!

Best,

Rob (my first post on irv2!)
robchildan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

What can I tow , is perhaps the question most asked here in the forums.
Part of the limiting factor to your tow weight, is the load you add in your Jeep.
How much in the way of load are you going to put in your Jeep .
Remember , the weight of all passengers , pets and gear MUST, be deducted from your Jeeps Max tow rating .
So first thing , load up every thing , you'd expect to put in the Jeep on a camping trip , fill it with fuel , and take it over the scales , get your front and rear axle weight , to compare to the ratings on the door jam.
The trailer will never be dry so best to consider 15 to 20 % of the trailers GVWR for a tongue weight.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/tow-v...ors-89375.html
Old 06-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #3

Smile

Thank you for this information. I'll keep this in mind before purchasing either trailer.

With regards to towing ease, do you know if there are any advantages to towing one of the newer teardrop designs (e.g. Minnie Drop, R-pod, and Hummingbird) compared to a more traditional design, assuming the dry weights are relatively similar? I understand that the teardrop designs are narrower, but that their tires stick out more. I'm not sure if this is an advantage or disadvantage in terms of towing. Thanks!
robchildan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I tow my Flagstaff MicroLite 21 FBRS behind my '16 GC set up like yours. The TT is 3900 dry, 5100 loaded up for a week in the mountains. My total weight with the load, my DW and two small dogs is at 10,180. It tows great, and I have little trouble on 6 and 8% grades.

The Mini Drop TT may be a little too long for a single axle. Most single axles are shorter. I have no first hand expeerience with a single, but have towed many miles with doubles in the 21 to 24 foot true lenght.

But either way you'll like th experience.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:34 AM   #5

Either should be fine for towing. Double axle is better, and a slide adds a bunch more space, so you'll have to decide which option you want to go with. I don't think your tow vehicle will have a trouble with either one.
patriot07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #6

Given the choice, I would go with the double axel option. I think tongue weight will be your limiting factor. Dry tongue weight from the factory will not include the battery, propane tanks and all the stuff you will be packing into the front storage compartment. It might work but I'd be checking the CCC numbers closely.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #7

I would think that the Micro Minnie with the two axles will handle much better for you. I tow a MM 2106 with a GMC truck with no problems. On short trips under 50 miles no interstate I don't even use my WD hitch. Good luck with your choice....
JUS1MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #8

We just got a starcraft comet mini 18ds (similar to jayco hummingbird, rpod, Winnie drop) and it tows beautifully. I have a Silverado as the TV. We do use a sway bar as well just to help but have taken it about 600 miles so far in MN without any issue and in some pretty good wind gusts. I am a bit more cautious when towing so don't go above 65 mph but I honestly can't tell it is back there most the time. Having the narrow body is nice too because I can constantly look at the tires and see around the trailer no problem (so don't need tow mirrors).
cs1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:11 AM   #9

Rob, we towed a 20' Sunnybrook Harmony TT with our 2007 Jeep Liberty, v6. Trailer had dual axles and it towed fine with a WD hitch. I say fine, but it was like the 'tail wagging the dog'. Power was adequate. The trailer is actually 17' floor length, the 20' is overall length.

We replaced the 20' TT with a 21' TT (another Harmony) and now tow it with our 2007 Grand Cherokee, v8. Match made in heaven, tows like a dream and no tail wagging at all. The extra hp and wheel base length make for a good match. Our 21' TT hits 4800# all loaded and ready to go. Good luck!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
Given the choice, I would go with the double axel option. I think tongue weight will be your limiting factor. Dry tongue weight from the factory will not include the battery, propane tanks and all the stuff you will be packing into the front storage compartment. It might work but I'd be checking the CCC numbers closely.
X2 I would load your JGC as if you were going camping and go to a scale and weigh it to see what weight capacity you have left from the GVWR listed.

Full tank of fuel, passengers, anything you think you would load in the JGC.

Subtract the scale weight from the GVWR and that's what's left for your tongue weight, and WDH weight.

Also weigh the front and rear axle separately and compare those weights to the RAWR & FAWR listed for your vehicle.

The RAWR is where you have to be careful.

I tow with a 2015 JGC Eco Diesel and I'm within 60 lbs. of my RAWR.

Loading your trailer is crucial in regard to tongue weight and handling capability.

Also a WDH setup correctly is paramount.

There is a lot to learn and we've all been there. A lot of knowledge on this and other RV forums.

I tow a Jayco 23RLSW with a loaded for bear weight of 5500 to 5700 lbs.

Tow capacity for my JGC is 7200 lbs. I would never approach that limit towing with it. Obviously it's possible but I feel comfortable where I'm at.

I had the JGC before buying a TT. Bought the TT to match my TV.

Be wary of what some RV sales people tell you. The well known line of: sure you can tow that, no problem.

A sale is all that's on their mind. Do your research and be informed as much as possible.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:51 PM   #11

I have a 170S Winnie Drop and towed with a Colorado for a few trips(now using a Ram) and the narrow body of the Drop was helpful for reducing the drag behind the truck. I towed that trailer in stiff winds and barely felt it(no sway control) plus no bounce with the torsion suspension. The setup was going to limit how far I was going to be able to go as I'm surrounded by mountains on three sides so I stepped up to the Ram for more pulling power.
Canarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:12 AM   #12

I tow a 1706 micro Minnie with a v6 jeep grand Cherokee with the tow package. Absolutely no problems can load up the Jeep and the trailer without any issues. get yourself a blue ox WD it's pricy but worth it.

You will need a 9 inch drop.

Get the double axle trailer also worth it.

See ya at the jamboree
Cherokee-Gym is offline   Reply With Quote