Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #15

Yes, here in the states some companies chose to put that 'Not Recommended" status on their cars because if not there are so many sue happy people here that would abuse their vehicle then claim foul to the courts. In Europe These cars have a 2000lb limit with a 200lb hitch weight limit and they do not have our powerful engines but is the same car with the same transmission. So since I am 71 years old and have towed my trailers including horses over the years, I have a good feel for what should be towed and what not. I've owned my small Fiat for almost four years and the Trekking for a year & four months. I have a pretty good sense of what to expect while towing. I am not that concerned about the warranty. If it turns out when I do a test tow of any certain trailer that I feel something isn't right, and the same thing happens with all my possibilities then we will maybe return to tent camping. I have no desire to get another gas guzzler to pull my camping vehicle. We live on a very small pension that does not allow for continued expenses involved with pickup trucks & etc. This was due to being T-boned by a truck that ruined my neck. I'm not ready to spend the rest of my life in a rocking chair over it. We love camping but are really too old to enjoy tent camping like we used to.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #16

Yes I'm aware of the owner's manual non recommendations. I'm not here for vehicle advise, I'm here to find info on possible hard sided camping trailers with very low weight and hitch weight possibilities and also find some camping areas within striking distance of the Mojave desert in Calif for weekend or maybe one week stays that don't involve reservations. We are more spur of the moment types than long range plan types. We live on a very small pension that does not allow for additional vehicles and large trailers anymore. We've been there, done that and have a wealth of experience towing everything from small luggage trailers to large camping trailers to horse trailers with 2 1400lb horses aboard. We will be using the car we have and that may dictate getting another tent trailer but I hope not. Our car in Europe can tow 2000lbs with 200lbs hitch weight. If it can do it there, it can here also. We just have to plan ahead as far as long steep hills are concerned.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
With the information you have provided I suggest you watch RV trader or Craigslist to find something that fits your needs.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:08 PM   #18

I suggest you look at a couple of Aliner trailers such as the Scout or the smallest Ranger model. They have a GVWR of 2k or so, and it is possible to find them used. I don't know how they compare in weight to a Casita trailer.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #19

The smallest Casita trailer has a dry weight of 1800 lbs. which means you would end up towing quite a bit more than the 2k rating...if you plan to do that. I'm not so sure you are going to find many options if you rule out any tent fabric bunk ends. Maybe someone else can suggest something.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #20

Allso being tall I understand the need for head room. I took a trip around the internet and seems they have two classes of travel trailers. Under 4K and over 4K unloaded. There was a trailer that was built over seas but it unfolded into a living space and would require cooking out side. Looked really neat but I am to old to crawl into something like that and enjoy it. Perhaps since you already know of units over seas you could do a search for them here and see if one is available. Best of luck.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #21

So, I'm killing time, waiting for DW at a doctor's appt. Any basic small box trailer seems to start at 3k or so.....seem to be geared for vehicles rated for at least 3500 lb. Tow rating and IMHO should be towed with TV rated for 4500 lbs. or more.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:48 PM   #22

The casitas are too heavy for us. The only choices I've come up with thus far is the Cricket @ around 1540lbs - 160lbs tongue weight which I hope will be ok when I test tow it. The second choice is the scamp 13 which is a very nice little unit but I would have to have it shipped from Minesota where they build them since they only sell factory direct. The third choice so far I've found is the Meerkat in San Diego which we will be checking out next week. It is 900lbs/100lbs but not much room for the dogs to sleep. I did look up all the Aliner types which are also built by Jayco but they are really heavy and the reviews say they get very hot in the summer. The idea of running air conditioning while camping just doesn't sit well with me. I would rather get in my kayak and roam the available waters in the daytime. Thanks for all the suggestions. If you come up with any more ultra, ultra lite weights like the ones I know of so far, shoot me a holler.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #23
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With all this advise, I have moved the OP's introduction to the Travel Trailer Forum to target the "which camper" question.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:22 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the Casita or Meerkat sound like a possibility, I recommend the 13' Scamp. (1200LB UVW and 100LB on the tongue when empty).
Economical & Light Weight Travel Trailers - Scamp Trailers

Scamps are incredible! Back in the 80's, we used to rent them from the military recreational equipment outfit at a base in Sacramento...we would haul them up around the Rubicon behind our Scout. The Scout didn't even act like there was a trailer on the hook. Even being rentals, the Scamps would take a beating and just keep rolling!
One time, I went too far down a fire road with just the family (no other 4x4's along). When it got too narrow to continue - or turn around, I unhooked the Scamp and rotated it BY HAND to get back out the way we came. And super built quality too

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
The options for the OP are so limited (Mod Edit).
Old 02-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #26

(Mod Edit) In my posts, I have said that the Cricket trailer is easily within my requirements, I just haven't test towed one yet. I also said the Meerkat is easily within my requirements and I have to drive 162 miles to see it in the real. I can't help it if my car has a 2000 lb towing limit with a 200lb hitch max. Just because a teardrop trailer won't work for us or an over weight TT won't work doesn't mean we are impossible to please. The T@B trailer has less than 6ft headroom and my neck was damaged when a truck T-boned me on the way to work so trying to stand up to cook or anything else in a unit that's shorter than me would put me in pain like you cannot imagine. (Mod edit)
Because my neck was damaged, I had to retire early and my pension is very small. I think if you read all my posts, you may gain a little more insite into my reasons for joining this forum. I also like the scamp, however they say they are only sold in Minnisota which is clear across the country from me so even looking at them would be difficult.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:35 AM   #27

I have read all of your post. Looking at the Cricket, which seems to be in your consideration arena, I view it as very expensive. Since you are talking about just going out on a weekend, not being a full timer and the apparent dislike of longer hauls (162 miles being too far to drive as you posted) , a used pickup and TT would fill the bill for you very well. At twenty three grand both would be in line with your budget. Your decision to be unwilling to make this move is what validates the posters remarks. A small amount of flexibility on your part would really open up the field. I hope you can find what you are looking for or find a suitable compromise.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:52 AM   #28

Send a message via MSN to M zoll
Welcome to the forum

B&W Companion 5th wheel
M zoll is offline   Reply With Quote