Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 10:34 PM   #15

Get a 15-25 foot regular old garden hose. More times than not you will get to a dump station and there won't be a hose for your black tank flush. The one furnished will either have the threaded end cut off or it will be too short to reach the trailer. Get one that is a different color than your drinking water hose and keep them in separate places.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #16

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
Okay. BTW we have a 2016 Bullet 269RLS and are very happy with it so far and that includes well over 6,000 miles of towing it with our F150 3.5 EB 4x4 Platinum Screw with 3.73 rear and Max towing package. We changed to a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch and it's a very good rig all around. Now to go on. LOL
• You may want to add a slide
topper to keep debris and
rain off the top of your slide
and out of your trailer.
• Perhaps a portable grill (we
use a Weber Q1200).
• You may at some point want
to consider a quiet generator
and solar power if you plan to
boondock much.
• Vent covers
• Our Bullet came with LED
interior lights; if yours did not
I would suggest installing
them. Less battery draw and
they run much cooler.
• 90 degree adapter to hook
the water hose to the city
water input.
• Water bandit (although so far
I haven't used the one I carry)
• Roadside reflectors
• Quality flashlights and a
quality headlamp.
• Work gloves
• Disposable latex or rubber
Gloves to wear when handling
the sewer lines when dumping.
• Bear spray
• Multi-tool
• Quality rain gear (not much
fun setting up or down in the
rain without it).
• Leveling blocks. We use and
and recommend the Andersen
Levelers. Very fast and easy to
use.
• A level and/or a set of level
bubbles.
• Patio mat
• Lawn chairs
• Small folding table
• Screen room (we live in FL)
• First Aid kit
You will need to prioritize adding this stuff, of course, if you feel you need it. I am not suggesting you need all of this stuff immediately. I hope this helps. Oh, I would also suggest making your first trip or two very close to home, so if you really need something or you have any problems you can run home. Our first outing was only 12 miles away and yes, we ended up going back for some stuff. LOL

Congrads on your trailer that was the model we really wanted but do to towing limitations we had to go with 248RK. Our came with a bbq. You mentioned something about a slide cover does that mean that they leak? Or does it mean that you should make sure that it it cleaned off prior to shutting it.
Once again thank you so much for all the good information. We have so much to learn. I was just hoping not to make to many expensive mistakes. I know there will probably be a lot of mistakes lets just hope that they are cheap ones. lol

Old 08-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #17

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
In addition to all the great suggestions above I also carry the following.
• Inline water filter
• Cordless drill with the
appropriate socket to raise
and lower the stabilizer jacks
• Spare hose washers
• If your trailer didn't come with
an electric tongue jack put
one on it.
• Install a battery disconnect
• You might want an extension
cord of the appropriate
amperage for your trailer.
• Spare tire, carrier and cover
• Tire covers
• Some basic tools, including a
decent multi-meter.
• Gorilla duct tape
I could go on, but will stop. LOL
the battery disconnect that you are talking about is a quick disconnect if not please explain.
our trailer came with an an electric tongue jack.

I have a question in doing research I noticed that some of the camp ground say 50 amp and electrical so what does that mean. Sorry so lost. I think our trailer is 30 amp. So I know I need to get a cord that changes from 30 to 50 but is that what they mean
by that. That the electrical is 50 amp so I need the change over cord? I heard that I should have a surge protector so do I get a 50 or 30 amp or do I need both. What are your thoughts on a auto propan switch over?

Am I correct in thinking I only need to hoses. Fresh water and a drain hose?

We do plan on taking a short trip a couple of hours away at first just to see how it does.

Any thoughts on vent covers the ones that go inside to keep the heat or cold out do you really need them.

We probably need the cover that goes on the our side so we can keep our vents open when trailer.

Someone posted somewhere about mub-dubber covers for the water heater etc since we have an enclosed underbelly do we need those too? I am not into have inscent in our trailer.

I am sorry to bother you with so many questions and probably have 1000 more.

I was thinking we probably need two batteries instead of just the one is that correct.

What about a generator? what size or type would we need incase we don't have hook up. What all would we need if we don't have any power hook ups.

Just by looking around camp grounds are are really expensive so we might be doing a lot of non camp grounds.

Is there a book I can buy that would give up all the information on the different camp grounds.

I know our trailer come with an antenna but I don't know what kind it is how how well it works. I need some t.v. when I go to sleep at night. Any ideas on that or on internet access.

I saw on line some stuff for the sewer that says you can use normal t.p. and it would break it down any experience with that stuff or should I just stick with the normal t.p.

We will be traveling with our 75 yrs old dad and as much as I would rather not use the bathroom for anything but urnin I don't want dad to be uncomfortable. So the bathroom maybe used for more that I would like. Any suggestions on keeping the smell down.

Once again thank you so much for all the information you have given already.
looking forward to more.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #18

Lots of great advice here already! The wasp covers are little screens that cover the vents on the sides of the trailer by your fridge, furnace and hot water tanks. The fully enclosed underbelly just helps keep the holding tanks from freezing. Your antenna should be digital and will find any local stations, should be enough for background noise.

If you go on Amazon and search the word "camco" you will see a thousand things for camping and might make you think of stuff you never thought of. They are not the highest quality but you can find leveling blocks and sewer hose adapters, etc.

I would not recommend regular TP. Walmart sells the stuff you need in their camping section. Make sure to be generous with the water in the black tank. You don't want a pile of TP stacking up and drying out.

Have a blast!!
Old 08-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #19

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFromGC View Post
Lots of great advice here already! The wasp covers are little screens that cover the vents on the sides of the trailer by your fridge, furnace and hot water tanks. The fully enclosed underbelly just helps keep the holding tanks from freezing. Your antenna should be digital and will find any local stations, should be enough for background noise.

If you go on Amazon and search the word "camco" you will see a thousand things for camping and might make you think of stuff you never thought of. They are not the highest quality but you can find leveling blocks and sewer hose adapters, etc.

I would not recommend regular TP. Walmart sells the stuff you need in their camping section. Make sure to be generous with the water in the black tank. You don't want a pile of TP stacking up and drying out.

Have a blast!!
Thank you so much. So I take it I wont have a probably figuring out where the wasp covers go?

So my sewer hose need as adapter that's not part of the hose?

I never really thought about it or I guess I thought the water from the fresh water went into the toilet and then it went into the black water tank. So you need to put water in the black water tank too. Omg I have so much to learn.
The dealership wanted to sell us a snake for the toilet. Sounds like a good idea but do I need one?

Everything at the dealer ship was so expensive and the things the trailer doesn't came with really surprises me ie; the different hose. I would think it would came with that stuff. but I know nothing being a newbie. lol

What are the best places to buy stuff for the trailer?
Old 08-10-2016, 03:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee455 View Post
Congrads on your trailer that was the model we really wanted but do to towing limitations we had to go with 248RK. Our came with a bbq. You mentioned something about a slide cover does that mean that they leak? Or does it mean that you should make sure that it it cleaned off prior to shutting it.
Once again thank you so much for all the good information. We have so much to learn. I was just hoping not to make to many expensive mistakes. I know there will probably be a lot of mistakes lets just hope that they are cheap ones. lol
No, slides don't normally leak and yes, without (maybe with) them water, leaves, acorns, sticks, etc., can accumulate on top of the slide. Water isn't too big a deal, because you can always raise or lower your tongue jack out of level and let the water run off, but if you don't get the other debris off the top they can damage the seals and cause leaks and/or you end up with some debris inside the trailer. The slide topper alleviates most, if not all, of these problems, or at least are supposed to. My Bullet does not have a rear ladder and I don't carry a ladder, so I really have no good way of cleaning the top off the slide, so I paid the big bucks to have one put on after a trip that saw a lot of debris accumulate on top of the slide.

Ours also came with the optional "Aussie grill" and the rear bumper mount. Since I already had a Weber Q1200 the first thing I did when we got the trailer home was remove the bumper grill mount. I've never even taken the grill out of the box it came in. I need to try to sell it.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee455 View Post
Thank you so much. So I take it I wont have a probably figuring out where the wasp covers go?

So my sewer hose need as adapter that's not part of the hose?

I never really thought about it or I guess I thought the water from the fresh water went into the toilet and then it went into the black water tank. So you need to put water in the black water tank too. Omg I have so much to learn.
The dealership wanted to sell us a snake for the toilet. Sounds like a good idea but do I need one?

Everything at the dealer ship was so expensive and the things the trailer doesn't came with really surprises me ie; the different hose. I would think it would came with that stuff. but I know nothing being a newbie. lol

What are the best places to buy stuff for the trailer?
It depends on the sewer hose you buy. I use a Valterra Viper. Works great; very toughly built.

You put black water into the tank when you flush it--normally, if you need to poo you push part way down on the foot pedal to run about half a bowl or so of water into the bowl, then poo, then flush, the add a bit more water, use septic tank grade toilet paper, then flush it again. The idea is that more water in the black tank aids in better draining all the solids out of the tank when you dump and it keeps the bad stuff from drying out in the tank. After you dump, you flush the tank a bit, then close the drain valve and put a couple of gallons of water back in, then add your chemical packet. I don't carry a snake and I'm not sure why you would need one; it's pretty much a straight drop from the toilet into the black tank normallly.

I buy some stuff from Walmart, some from Camping World and most of it from Amazon. With our Prime membership we usually get anything we order in two days and with free shipping, so it beats driving 25 miles to our closest CW.

There is a lot to learn, but we've all been there!!
Old 08-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #22

My responses:

the battery disconnect that you are talking about is a quick disconnect if not please explain. Yes, a quick disconnect. I mounted mine on the side of the trailer frame. Using one stops the parasitic drain of certain items inside the trailer that will run your batteries down if you don't have the disconnect.

our trailer came with an an electric tongue jack. Great! You are a step ahead of the game and saving yourself a lot of manual work. LOL I negotiated one in when we bought our Bullet.

I have a question in doing research I noticed that some of the camp ground say 50 amp and electrical so what does that mean. Sorry so lost. I think our trailer is 30 amp. So I know I need to get a cord that changes from 30 to 50 but is that what they mean by that. That the electrical is 50 amp so I need the change over cord? I heard that I should have a surge protector so do I get a 50 or 30 amp or do I need both. What are your thoughts on a auto propan switch over?
Our bigger Bullet is 30 Amp, so I imagine yours is, too, unless you have two A/C units, which I doubt?? I believe you are referring to a "dog bone". I did forget to put that on the lists I posted, but I do carry a 50 Amp to 30 Amp "dog bone". It is about a foot long and has the 50 Amp male connector on one end and a 30 Amp female connector on the other (trailer) end. Why do you need this? If you get stuck in a campsite with only 50 Amp outlet, it will allow you to use the dog bone to go between the 50 Amp outlet and your 30 Amp trailer cord. 50 Amp has two 120 vac legs; 30 Amp has one 120 vac leg. I've only used mine once so far and that was because I was in a campsite that had a defective 30 amp breaker, so I was able to use the dog bone to pull the power I needed from the 50 Amp outlet. Worked fine. I also carry a 120 vac 15 Amp (normal outlet) to 30 Amp adapter, too, but only use it on my generator to hook the trailer cord to it.

Am I correct in thinking I only need to hoses. Fresh water and a drain hose? You may also want to carry a cheaper regular garden hose to use to flush your black tank, etc. You never use your fresh water (white or blue) hose for this.

We do plan on taking a short trip a couple of hours away at first just to see how it does. Smart thinking.

Any thoughts on vent covers the ones that go inside to keep the heat or cold out do you really need them. The vent covers I was talking about are the ones, like the Max-Airs, that go on the outside over your top vents (the ones you can open and close). I leave mine open just about all the time, unless I am running the A/C. It keeps it aired out and no water comes in and we've driven through some serious rain storms with no water leaking in through them.

We probably need the cover that goes on the our side so we can keep our vents open when trailer. Right--see previous.

Someone posted somewhere about mub-dubber covers for the water heater etc since we have an enclosed underbelly do we need those too? I am not into have inscent in our trailer. Someone else already answered this, but yes, these are relatively cheap screens that go over the water heater, furnace and reefer (fridge) vent openings to keep wasps, mud daubers, etc., out. They can build nests inside that can lead to serious issues.

I am sorry to bother you with so many questions and probably have 1000 more. No worries--glad to help. We've all been where you are at.

I was thinking we probably need two batteries instead of just the one is that correct. I negotiated a second 12 volt battery into the deal when we bought our Bullet and definitely recommend two batteries if you plan to do some boondocking.

What about a generator? what size or type would we need incase we don't have hook up. What all would we need if we don't have any power hook ups. I bought a Yamaha 2400 inc generator/inverter last year when we had a 13,500 BTU A/C and the Yamaha would run it, although we never did use it to run the A/C. Our new Bullet has a 15K BTU A/C and I doubt the 2400 will run it, although I have read that if one shuts off the converter, etc., it will. I haven't tried it yet. I mostly secure it in the back of my F150 (it weighs about 80 lbs with fuel) and use it to charge the batteries if I don't get enough sun to use the solar. If I were buying again I would take a serious look at the Champion 3100 I think, or two 2000 watt Yamahas, Champions or Hondas. If you don't have any hookups you don't really have to have anything, unless of course you want solar and/or a generator to keep your batteries charged so you have power for your trailer.

Just by looking around camp grounds are are really expensive so we might be doing a lot of non camp grounds. We love to boondock.

Is there a book I can buy that would give up all the information on the different camp grounds. There are probably several, but things are always changing. We use the Allstays Camp & RV app on our phones to find campgrounds and many other things when we're traveling. Also, Compendium is good and there are several other web sites. Just use Google to find tons of campground info.

I know our trailer come with an antenna but I don't know what kind it is how how well it works. I need some t.v. when I go to sleep at night. Any ideas on that or on internet access. Someone else already answered this, so I won't add anything further.

I saw on line some stuff for the sewer that says you can use normal t.p. and it would break it down any experience with that stuff or should I just stick with the normal t.p.I sure would never recommend using regular household TP. You typically want single ply and/or "septic tank" approved TP. We just buy the RV TP at Camping World or Walmart. It's not all that expensive and seems to work well.

We will be traveling with our 75 yrs old dad and as much as I would rather not use the bathroom for anything but urnin I don't want dad to be uncomfortable. So the bathroom maybe used for more that I would like. Any suggestions on keeping the smell down. We pretty much ONLY use the bathroom in our TT for everything and we have never had a problem with smell. Do proper dump procedures, then add a couple of gallons of water and a good enzyme chemical and as you drive down the road it sloshes around a bit and helps clean the blank tank.

Once again thank you so much for all the information you have given already.
looking forward to more.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #23

Congrats on your trailer! My husband and I bought our first travel trailer earlier this summer. So far we've used it for local weekend trips, but soon we are about to venture out on our first lengthy road trip.

I'm still a newbie and in the learning phase. One resource that helped me was The Complete Idiot's Guide to RVing. Has chapters about different types of RVs, buying your RV, maintenance, how all the different systems work. It was a good first start. I also spent a lot of time lurking on this forum, googling specific questions, etc. Give your owners manual a good read through.

As for campgrounds, I found a search of several websites and apps was helpful. Goodsamclub.com, rvparky, and Allstays have all been useful.

Good luck, and enjoy!
beccaf1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #24

Carolina Campers
Congratulations!

Congratulations and welcome. I debated on whether or not to repeat items that were already listed, but I will as a second opinion on the items I find useful.

Useful items:
> Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C - read to understand value of EMS versus surge protector.
> Water Pressure regulator
> Insect screens for Fridge/Furnace/Water Heater exhaust vents
> Sewer Hose (20 ft.)
> Fresh Water Hose (25 ft.)
> Hose for black tank flush (25ft)
> Hose splitter - lets you use outside hose while fresh water is connected
> Andersen-3604 Camper Leveler
> Camco 44595 Stabilizer Jack Pad
> Camco 44414 Wheel Chock - Pack of 2
> X-Chock Wheel Stabilizer - Pair - One Handle - 28012
> Camco 22505 90 Degree Hose Elbow
> Camco 43041 15' Sidewinder Plastic Sewer Hose Support
> Camco 39847 RhinoFLEX Clear 45 Degree Sewer Hose Swivel Fitting
Old 08-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #25

This forum is the best place for almost any questions. Great folks who like to help, and ranges from newbies to 40+ year veterans. Looks like you have most of your answers above. Some quick things I learned, ALWAYS chock the wheels BEFORE disconnecting your tow vehicle. Made the mistake once, and the trailer rolled forward into my truck. No harm fortunately, but learned that lesson. And the second thing is ALWAYS walk around the trailer twice, preferably with someone else, before you take off. Make sure you are unplugged, the wheel chocks are removed, chains are on, doors are locked, storage bins closed, antenna is down, hose is disconnected, etc etc.

Oh, make sure you have water in your hot water tank (just turn the water on and bleed the air out by opening a hot water faucet) BEFORE you turn on the hot water heater.

Good luck, and don't stress too much! There is a lot to learn, but camping is all about the adventure and relaxing. Search here or on Pinterest or on the web in general for a "check list". Lots of good tips to make sure you remember the basics.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
There is always something to learn, and no question is a dumb one! For our background noise at night, DW and I use a sound machine with various sounds programmed in: rain, meadow with crickets, etc.

Very soothing, very low amp draw and good white noise. Enjoy your new TT!

Bob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:27 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
I have not read all the replies, the ones I read wee good. I am not sure if anyone has mentioned youtube.com but I have found that very useful. rvgeeks, rveducation101, and long, long honeymoon are but 3 very useful channels. I have relied on them greatly since getting our TT last month. Have fun and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:43 PM   #28

We have 2 25 foot water hoses. Most of the time 1 25 footer is plenty, once in a while we need the extra 25 feet.

Tags
travel trailer, need help, travel