Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2016, 05:35 AM   #29

it's really not that complicated. carry what you think you need for essentials, including medical, then go camp near by.
keep a list and write what you missed down for next time. it's very easy to overbuy stuff you will never use.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #30

Just a quick reply on your campground book question: Camping World has a humongo book listing thousands of campgrounds and associated information. coupons too!

Old 09-25-2016, 12:40 AM   #31

we changed the trailer and got the 269rls we just picked it up two days ago.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee455 View Post
we changed the trailer and got the 269rls we just picked it up two days ago.

We also have a 2016 Bullet 269RLS and really like it. We bought it in April of this year and have pulled it around 7,000 miles and spent many nights in it. We did change out the mattress on day one before we left CW with it and we negotiated a second deep cycle battery into the deal. Nice! So far no major problems with anything, but here are a couple of things to keep an eye on.
1. On I-16 in GA the road was so rough and dippy we had a tie down for the driver side rear swivel rocker pull loose from the floor with the result being the narrow paneling trim on the rear facing part of the slide was broken and a hole punched into the inside of the rear paneling. The tie downs are attached to the floor with fairly small screws for their task. I just removed the broken paneling piece and we don't even notice it being gone and we covered over the hole. Now we lay the chair face down sideways and pad it with no more damage resulting.
2. On the two week, 2,400 miles trip we just returned from a few days ago we had a piece of ceiling and its trim pop loose. While fixing it I discovered the ceiling, at least that piece, was attached to the aluminum ceiling joists with a nail gun! I am not sure why any manufacturer would think small nail gun nails would ever hold up being shot into aluminum!! Crazy! I fixed this with a commercial adhesive, a few screws and some caulk. I will now carry those small screws in my tool kit because I have a feeling there could be more issues like this in the future.
The only other problem we have is the bedroom screen door will not latch. Never has, but not a big deal since we never use that door or leave the main bedroom door open anyway. Since I have a feeling I may be getting the recall notice for the air conditioner wiring I will have that fixed under warranty when I take it in.
In spite of what the manufacturers and dealers brag about their quality control sucks and I frequently wonder why we have to pay a dealer prep fee when they don't seem to bother to earn it by going through the trailers they sell with a fine tooth comb. (End of rant) But as I said we are very happy with our Bullet.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #33

Wow Thank you again good info

I agree with you on the dealer prep charges. We have never owned a trailer before so they gave us a fair walk thru, although they did leave something out and I didn't realize them until we got it home. I think they should have least pointed out the fuse box but that was a no brainer. I asked about the corrective track system and we told just to tighten the tires down. I know that not what is for. It has something to do with the tire alignment but I don't know how it works. We also noticed that the slide out screws were only hand tightened plus we think its sticking out a little on the corner of the slide. I don't even have the books that were supposed to come with the trailer. They did finally give me some books but there are not for my trailer or they are 12 yrs old. They said they would try and find them but we all know how well that will go. I am sure I could download something from Keystone and print it but why should I? I am a real stickler when it comes to having all the product books on things I buy and need to register. I just like to know how it all works if I have any questions.
We thought we had enough vehicle for the trailer but we don't think so now.
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V8 4.7 4x4.
It said the GCWR was 10,500 and max tow 6,500. tongue 750
Trailer unloaded 5340 add cargo up to 2,220.
we have Cequent performance round bar weight distribution with sway control and prodigy P2 electronic brake control.
We only took the trailer home about 70 miles from dealer. My husband said it just didn't feel right. The only thing that I felt (before I feel asleep lol) seemed like the trailer was pulling us backwards but my husband said it was swaying and felt dangerous. Good thing I was asleep.
We need to buy a used vehicle we would like a SUV because of people and animals traveling with us. Looking for ideas on vehicles. We think we might have to go with a truck but hope not. It will be really crowded with an elderly man, large and small dog and possibly a cat or even grandchildren.
Please all ideas welcomed
Old 09-27-2016, 06:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee455 View Post
We need to buy a used vehicle we would like a SUV because of people and animals traveling with us. Looking for ideas on vehicles. We think we might have to go with a truck but hope not. It will be really crowded with an elderly man, large and small dog and possibly a cat or even grandchildren.
Please all ideas welcomed
For that heavy of a trailer you're looking at a Tahoe/Suburban (with tow package) or Expedition (a little higher tow capacity than Tahoe and better towing power if a 2015+ with the 3.5L ecoboost). If you want a little older tow vehicle you can try to track down a Chevy Suburban 2500 or an Excursion (good luck finding one reasonably priced with even remotely low mileage).
Old 09-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #35

Dee455, I think you have gotten into the 1/2 ton pickup category with that camper. You also might want to upgrade your weight distribution hitch to the Blue Ox, Equal-i-zer or the Reese straightline. Where did this 5340 lbs dry weight come from. If it came from a sales brochure, I suspect it's probably light by several hundred pounds. You will also easily add 500+ lbs to a camper for a trip. A set of CAT scales will give you an accurate picture. There are lots of 1/2 ton pickups that have 4 doors that will accommodate your passengers in comfort. Just make sure you get one equipped with the towing package.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #36

Just brought first travel trailer need help

I understand your predicament. We had a 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited, but it had the 5.7 Hemi. Our first trailer was a new 2016 Coleman 192RDS. Nineteen feet box and 23' overall. Our GC handled it quite well and we did over 10,000 miles pulling it, including from Florida to Colorado, Grand Teton and Yellowstone last year without any problem at all. Empty weight on the Coleman was 4,000 lbs and the GVW on it was 7,600 lbs. we always stayed well under that! We never had any sway issues, but since the GC was getting a lot of Mike's on it we traded it for a Ford F-150 Supercrew (4 door) 4x4 Platinum with the Ecoboost engine, Max tow package and 3.73 rear end. Then in April of this year, after another month long trip out west we decided we wanted more room so traded the Coleman for a new 2016 Bullet 269RLS. The F150 handles it very well. I also upgraded our WDH to a Blue Ox Sway Pro. The Supercrew cab actually has more back seat room than our GC did and is just as comfortable, if not more so. You probably should consider something like that. Hope this helps. Oh, and in addition to my wife and I we've also travelled in the Supercrew with our daughter, our two young grandsons and our dog. They weren't too cramped.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #37

There is a guy in Mooresville, NC looking to sell his Bullet travel trailer. He is also looking to sell their relatively new (2014ish), low mileage, 2500 Suburban. He doesn't have it listed, but he told me he will be selling it too.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:55 PM   #38

Jayco Owners Club
Are you over your cargo carrying capacity?

For some unknown reason, I never really did the math on this point.

But today, I looked at the yellow sticker on our Whitehawk and was a bit surprised to see it's cargo carrying capacity is only 1204 lbs!

I fear we are over and I suppose we need to get it weighed to know for sure. Am I the only person who worries about stuff like this? LOL
Old 11-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #39

I was a newbie a few months ago and found YouTube to be a great place to start, and what you can't find there, bring to the forums.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only advice I would add is:

Try to get to your destination at least one hour before sunset. Parking and setup after dark can be really bad.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:16 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
The only advice I would add is:

Try to get to your destination at least one hour before sunset. Parking and setup after dark can be really bad.
We have lost count on how many times I have pulled myself out of bed after 1030 to go help our *neighbors* get parked and set-up. Faster it gets done, faster I can go back to sleep. Two of such have become great friends so not a total loss.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:58 PM   #42

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You absolutely do need to weigh everything, TT and tv loaded. Don't assume the payload rating on tv door is right. Do your homework!

Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel trailer, need help, travel