Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #1

Just brought first travel trailer need help

Hi
Just brought first trailer ever. I am so excited. We should pick it up this week.
Its a 2016 Keystone Bullet 248RK 28 ft.

First let me say any information, ideas, anything helpful would be appreciated. I am not sure what extras we need or even how to make sure everything in the trailer stays put. How long of sewer hose do we really need should it have a 45 degree angle or a 90, hoses how many do I need I know one fresh water but how long. I am really looking for all information I can get. I understand some of it might be trial and error but I would not like it to be to costly. Any check lists of necessary items, good to have items and things you really don't need but they want to sell you items. Good brands bad brands. Best places to buy stuff maybe at a discount. Any books I should get to help with the information. Are there campsite clubs we should join.

Another thing I just thought about do I need to get a dish for t.v. So many questions. I don't even know where to start.

We plan on doing a lot of travel hopefully the whole U.S.

I am sorry I am a real green newbie. I figured this would be the best place to start with all the experience people out there.

Thank you in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #2

Just to cover the basics, I use a 25' fresh water supply hose. I prefer a 5/8" hose as it will give you more water volume. Drain hose normally 15' will work but you might consider two 10' and one 5' that you can make up to 25'. You will need a sewer adaptor as well, this makes a leak proof transition from sewer hose to sewer. I suspect you would use a 45 deg coupler from your holding tanks to hose, get a clear one so you can make sure you are empty. Always drain black then gray, as gray water will clean your hose out. Carry a 15' piece of coax to hook up cable. Most CG will offer you cable channels and after a few trips then decide on dish or direct tv or neither. Something to chock the tires so you don't roll off when leveling. Wal-mart carries most of this stuff, Campingworld is a good sources for anything RV. Good Sam member ship offers discounts at camping world on products as well as 10% at camp sites. That should get you by for the first couple of outings.

GlwDjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #3

First, welcome and have fun.
As for sewer hose? I carry two, one about 6 feet and one about 12 feet. I also have a donut, a screw on sewer adapter and a clear 45 degree elbow so I can see when the tank is empty.
TP use any septic safe and plenty of water. Dump the black tank only when at least 3/4 full
Potable water hose. I used to carry 250 feet. Now i usually have one 25 footer that is sufficient.
Clothes and dishes. We have RV specific both. When we get home clothes get washed and put right back in. Same for pots and pans. In fact we bought two identical sets of silverware a few years ago. One for home, one for the trailer. We also do NOT use paper or plastic. Corel dishes all the way. Bought glasses online from Sparkel Lite. They may be plastic, but look nice, durable and last a long time.
One more thing. If you have a tablet, download the app RV Checklist. It sure helps not to forget things.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Just start camping, ask lots of questions to other campers, and make a list as you go. I've been camping for 30 years and still forget/add/remove stuff.

Have fun and keep the positive attitude. Camping is a lifestyle!

Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #5

I "rarely" camp where I use hookups, but if you do, get a pressure regulator for your hose!!!
Old 08-09-2016, 04:31 PM   #6

Make sure you can change a tire if need be. I use a trailer aid plus to lift the tire off the ground and I carry a battery powered impact wrench with a 110 lb torque stick. I also carry a regular torque wrench as well. Remember to check your torque on your lug nuts frequently especially when you first get your trailer. Everyone else has great suggestions. Eventually you will get to the point where you start taking stuff out of your rig to make make room for other stuff. Happy camping.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:44 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Been RV'in since 1957. Had my first TT in 1968. Since 1968 I've never had a situation where I needed a spare tire, nor even a flat that a small air compressor couldn't handle.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #8

Regarding tv: are you doing weekend trips or are you taking it for a very long trip (several weeks)? We are weekenders in our TT so we just rent several Redbox movies, as most state, county, and many private campgrounds in our area do not have cable and tv reception can be minimal. For us, it's really kind of a treat and a welcomed abstinence from regular tv, as we spend most of our time outside until 9 out 10 pm. We don't miss tv at all and I thought I would have withdrawals. We live in Indiana and camp mostly in Indiana, some in Kentucky and have camped in Ohio
Old 08-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #9

In addition to all the great suggestions above I also carry the following.
Inline water filter
Cordless drill with the
appropriate socket to raise
and lower the stabilizer jacks
Spare hose washers
If your trailer didn't come with
an electric tongue jack put
one on it.
Install a battery disconnect
You might want an extension
cord of the appropriate
amperage for your trailer.
Spare tire, carrier and cover
Tire covers
Some basic tools, including a
decent multi-meter.
Gorilla duct tape
I could go on, but will stop. LOL
Old 08-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #10

We plan on doing long trips. Thats why I was asking about the t.v. plus I haven't been to sleep without the back ground noise in at least 30 yrs. lol
Old 08-09-2016, 05:24 PM   #11

Parkerbill
please do go or send me a message (however you do that here)
Old 08-09-2016, 06:24 PM   #12

Okay. BTW we have a 2016 Bullet 269RLS and are very happy with it so far and that includes well over 6,000 miles of towing it with our F150 3.5 EB 4x4 Platinum Screw with 3.73 rear and Max towing package. We changed to a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch and it's a very good rig all around. Now to go on. LOL
You may want to add a slide
topper to keep debris and
rain off the top of your slide
and out of your trailer.
Perhaps a portable grill (we
use a Weber Q1200).
You may at some point want
to consider a quiet generator
and solar power if you plan to
boondock much.
Vent covers
Our Bullet came with LED
interior lights; if yours did not
I would suggest installing
them. Less battery draw and
they run much cooler.
90 degree adapter to hook
the water hose to the city
water input.
Water bandit (although so far
I haven't used the one I carry)
Roadside reflectors
Quality flashlights and a
quality headlamp.
Work gloves
Disposable latex or rubber
Gloves to wear when handling
the sewer lines when dumping.
Bear spray
Multi-tool
Quality rain gear (not much
fun setting up or down in the
rain without it).
Leveling blocks. We use and
and recommend the Andersen
Levelers. Very fast and easy to
use.
A level and/or a set of level
bubbles.
Patio mat
Lawn chairs
Small folding table
Screen room (we live in FL)
First Aid kit
You will need to prioritize adding this stuff, of course, if you feel you need it. I am not suggesting you need all of this stuff immediately. I hope this helps. Oh, I would also suggest making your first trip or two very close to home, so if you really need something or you have any problems you can run home. Our first outing was only 12 miles away and yes, we ended up going back for some stuff. LOL
Old 08-09-2016, 06:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee455 View Post
We plan on doing long trips. Thats why I was asking about the t.v. plus I haven't been to sleep without the back ground noise in at least 30 yrs. lol
Yes. I still start to panic if the movie is almost over and I haven't fallen asleep yet. .
Congrats on the new TT.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabes View Post
Regarding tv: are you doing weekend trips or are you taking it for a very long trip (several weeks)? We are weekenders in our TT so we just rent several Redbox movies, as most state, county, and many private campgrounds in our area do not have cable and tv reception can be minimal. For us, it's really kind of a treat and a welcomed abstinence from regular tv, as we spend most of our time outside until 9 out 10 pm. We don't miss tv at all and I thought I would have withdrawals. We live in Indiana and camp mostly in Indiana, some in Kentucky and have camped in Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabes View Post
Yes. I still start to panic if the movie is almost over and I haven't fallen asleep yet. .
Congrats on the new TT.
me too

Tags
travel trailer, need help, travel