Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #1
Just found out - Electric Water heater?

Hey guys. My previous questions was about my DSI only Atwood and recycling
hot water. That problem was analyzed and resolution is on the way. Now I found out in reading the model/part number on this Atwood that is capable on electric too but the panel switch in trailer showing electric is blocked with a cover so I am guessing that this Atwood will accept electric if proper wiring is done. Do I have that right? Advise please

nephi007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
I would look online for an owners manual for your model. You should be able to find where the switch is.

Bob & Pat
2012 Evergreen Element 26SRL
2012 Ford Expedition Limited
thetravelkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Howdy. I did check the compartment where the Atwood is located and did not see a switch and it looks like the panel switch inside the trailer for electric water heater service is blocked. I guess the question is if this Atwood will accept an electric and propane system is it a wiring issue. This is a 2016 trailer which I suspect came from the factory set up only for DSI propane,
Old 07-10-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
You would have to have a switch somewhere for the 110 volt heating side to operate. Depending on the location of your converter to the water heater, will define the difficulty on running 110 to it.

I can't imagine a new trailer with a water heater capable of 110 volt not being wired for it. I guess it could have been a option.

Is there wiring behind the switch block off? Maybe just adding a switch here would work.

Is there 110 volt wiring going to the water heater?

Should be a circuit breaker for the water heater at the converter if it is wired for 110 volt.
Steve Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
What is your atwood model number that you can locate on the unit?
TT: Dutchmen 2014 261BHS
TV: Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, 3.73 6ft bed 2014.
gazingm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
What you are seeing could also be the setup for an upgrade you do not have. Start by checking the tank and see if there is a heating element installed. It would have 120 VAC type wiring going to a heating element inserted into the tank.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Your water heater is probably gas only. But if it's an Atwood you can add a hot rod setup. Not hard to do. Put one in a customers the other day.
Mark & Joanne
Shanny our Golden & Little Pudd our Cat.
05 Intruder 391 22 Workhorse 8.1 Vortec
gotago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #8
Jayco Owners Club
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #9
Really not familiar with Atwood,but, does it have an electric element in it ? 2 wires connected to 2 screws on a big hex nut looking thing !
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #10
my hot water heater does have a switch for 110vac... it's located behind the gas line and valve under the cover for the hot water heater... mine has a clip to keep it in the off position until you pull the clip and flip the switch... I had issues finding it for a long time as you can't see it from just looking.. you have to search for it... and since it's inside the outside cover... its gets a lot of moisture in the switch... so I often pull the pin and rock the switch on/off to keep the contacts inside the switch clean..
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #11
hey guys thanks for the input. So the trailer is in Seattle at. a family members residence and we are in Salt Lake City until mid August when we go back there to bring it home. Will report back in model of Atwood then. Thanks!

heater, water heater, water, heat