Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffnerc View Post
I purchased a Winnebago One 32BH in September 2012. On the surface it is a great looking unit and you would think since it is sporting the Winnebago banner it would be a quality coach. Not the case! Mine was wrought with water leaks from the faucet connections, the toilet and the shower. The 12V water pump never worked from day one and the mattresses in the bunk room and on the fold out sofa are unsleepable. At closer inspection the overall workmanship and fit and finish is comparable to lower cost economy units. The sadest part is that even under warranty you cannot not get help from Winnebago. It appears that Winnebago bought a failing coach manufacturing business to start their “One” line then did nothing in the quality control area that was causing them to fail in the first place. Stay away from Winnebago towables if you are smart. They are inferior units backed up by poor customer service and warranty support. There are plenty other manufacturers producing superior units and you don't have to over-pay for the Winnebago name.
At this point, I can't agree with your post. You may have gotten a lemon, but please clarify how you haven't gotten properly taken care of through your warranty.

We've only been on a short shakedown cruise with our 2201DS, but found the trailer to be a very good product. I did have to tighten the kitchen faucet, and the bar fridge in the outside kitchen was DOA. I had already arranged with Winnebago to have a ladder installed, and once I contacted them about the fridge, they have ordered one and I will pick it up when I have the ladder installed this coming Tuesday.

My internet search for comments from other Winnebago towable owners hasn't led to any comments about poor quality control or issues. Granted, there's not a lot of feedback to be found, so time will tell.

I'll agree about the quality of the mattresses...but that problem exists with most RV manufacturers as they use cheap mattresses. After one night in our trailer, we took the truck to Sam's Club and bought a new mattress....which is something I anticipated from the time we looked at the trailer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #30

A few more challenges.......

Went out last week and the nighttime temperature went down to about "0" degrees.............We had an electric heater which kept the inside temperature to about 50 degrees at night......Next morning we found a couple of water puddles on the floor near the fridge and one in the bathroom.....We traced back the "leaks" and discovered that the "PEX" piping seemed to be leaking at places where there is a corner or a joint,,,,,,the connector that is used seems to be made of a metal or brass and when it gets cold it sweats and water puddles..............Has anyone run into this problem and how might you fix this?????........Once the temperature went back up the leaks disappeared.....I was thinking of wrapping the piping but not sure what to use..........I've seen this kind of problem in homes with copper piping, and have solved the problem with a "foam" pipe wrap..........
would appreciate some ideas...................tks...........

Old 09-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #31

My first outing with the 32BH was for our two week annual vacation. The first time I connected the water supply to it it began leaking from the toilet, the shower faucet and the external faucet. Also, the bathroom faucet was faulty and would not open on the hot water side. My choices were to make the repairs on the spot or disrupt our vacation. I replaced a toilet valve, the bathroom sink and outdoor faucet and just let the shower faucet drip. All of the door edges for the internal pass through doors (bunk room, bathroom and bedroom) were de-laminated where the door edges met the door facings. I contacted the Winnebago Towables Warranty Manager and he was initially very apologetic for the trouble I was having and seemed appreciative that I was willing, and in fact did make most of the repairs myself. He said they would replace all of the doors and reimburse me for the parts I had already installed. I even sent him some pictures of some easy improvements I made to the unit since he seemed interested in suggestions to improve their products. After my trip was over I attempted to winterize the unit using the 12V pump to distribute RV anti-freeze through the lines. The pump would not work until I crossed the wires on the pressure switch effectively over-riding the switch. After I got the trailer covered and put away for the winter I sent a message to the warranty manager notifying him of the parts I had replaced and their cost, asking him to send me the doors we discussed earlier and asking him to send a replacement water pump. The response I got was that what I was asking was not within Winnebago's Warranty Policy and if I wanted to proceed I needed to take the trailer to a Winnebago Towable Service Center. I notified him that the trailer was already put away for the winter and asked if I could take the trailer in for service when I took it out of storage in the spring. He told me he was only willing to extend the warranty for the items I listed for 90 days. That would mean I would have until early December. So, as far as getting the trailer out of winter storage unnecessarily he provided no help. Since I have owned RV's now for nearly 30 years I know I can make the repairs myself I just thought Winnebago might help with some of the costs. It seems their approach is if they make it inconvenient and costly enough for the customer to get warranty work done that the customer will leave them alone and get it done at their own expense and time. That is what will happen in my case. I'm happy you are having a better experience with your Minnie Series RV. I was under the impression that the One Series was Winnebago's top of the line towables and have certainly disappointed. I was amazed that Winnebago would turn a cold shoulder to a new customer for what would have amounted to less than $300 in cost since I was not asking to have any of my labor or costs to locate parts reimbursed.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #32

I would recommend putting pipe insulation over the joints that are sweating. You will find styrofoam pipe insullation at Lowes or Home Depot.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 PM   #33

I'm curious how your 2451bhs is holding up. Wifey and I just ordered one.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #34

Love the Minnie Winnie TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by txag88 View Post
I'm curious how your 2451bhs is holding up. Wifey and I just ordered one.
We have a 2301BH which has bunks and an outside kitchen, but no slides. We've spent more than 45 nights in ours already (two adults, two kids and two dogs) and it's been flawless except for a minimal drip from the hot water connection under the kitchen sink (easy fix) and a black tank that indicates 2/3 full unless I wand-clean the sensors in the tank. Neither of these are a Winnie issue. We did put foam toppers on the mattresses because they are a bit thin.
It tows GREAT and gets lots of positive attention everywhere we go. The later might not be what everyone wants, but we get "thumbs-up" even just driving down the road! Doubt that happens with ANY other TT.
The bright colors are not for everyone, but I love seeing it in a sea of off-white and brown blah.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130804-00030.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	538.2 KB
ID:	56633  
Old 02-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #35

Just got the Winnebago One 26RK

We looked at the 26RK, but opted for the 29RL.......From a quality perspective, we are quite pleased......It appears to be well laid out, and to be very well built.........Our biggest "complaint", is that you will need to use a pump to add water to the fresh water tank, you just can't "pour" water into the tank. This is something that the dealer wasn't aware of. Not sure if it would have been a deal breaker, but it would have allowed us the opportunity to get an appropriate pump to add the water. We found that pumps that work with drills just won't do the job......We ended up buying an electric pump, which works just great...........Other than that a great trailer............Good luck with your new unit............
Old 02-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #36

I don't get what the problem is about filling the water tank. Why do some need an electric pump to fill the fresh water tank? Where do you get the water that you need to pump it into your trailer? I use my water spigot at my home or other potable water sources which are always under water pressure. I have a 40' pad that extends off of my driveway near the house. When I am getting ready for a trip where I will need to supply my own water I will fill up the fresh water tank from the house spigot. If I am going to a full hook up campground I will only put 1/3 of a tank in case we need to use the bathroom while traveling. I also have a 30amp rv outlet by my pad where I can plug my camper in so I can start the fridge ahead of time to allow it to get cold. I also have a septic cleanout so If I am dry camping and there isn't a dump station I can empty my black and gray tanks when I get back.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:21 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffnerc View Post
My first outing with the 32BH was for our two week annual vacation. The first time I connected the water supply to it it began leaking from the toilet, the shower faucet and the external faucet.
Who goes out for two weeks with a new unit without a shake-down run of some sort? even just a day of driveway camping would have helped sort a lot of this out.
I'm sorry you had issues, but any new unit may have a few bugs. You need to go through every system and do you own due dilligence. Same with cars, motorcycles, boats, homes, etc. of any brand.

What was the water pressure at the place you hooked up? You didn't mention is you used a pressure reducer valve. You always should. Many places have enough pressure to blow every fitting appart. The street pressue in my home town is 115+psi!

As far as winterization, I had initially bought a air blow-out connector until I realized how EASY it is to winterize the Winnie with anti freeze. I was so impressed that I did a whole writeup on the process with pictures in another thread. The water heater by-pass, the seperate hose off the pump to pick up the antifreeze... it could not be easier. I used mine all winter and re-winterized it 4 times already, LOL.
Winterizing your Minnie Towable

On the water fill check valve, the Minnie doesn't have that, so no issues here.

Back on the topic of checking stuff out, I went an lubed my wheel bearings. The rear axle seemed to have more grease in it than the front. I assume they only pack the bearings prior to assembly because all four took a lot of grease before anything was purged back out the front of the hub. I can only assume the ports (not bearings) were dry.
Anyway, if you all have not done this, do it! We only have about 1500 miles on our TT. It's super easy with a grease gun and gives you a practice run on jacking up the trailer incase you ever get a flat. My understanding is that jacking it up is not 100% neccessary, but it allows you to spin the tire to best pack the bearings.

Tags
winnebago