Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #1

Just research on tt

Hi all,
Just trying to do some research to pick the right rv for us. TV is a 2013 Ram Laramie 1500 crew cab w/5.8"bed 10,300#towing and 1500# payload per om and call to manufacturer and class 4 receiver. TT I'm looking at is Heartland Wilderness 3350DS dry weight 7540# and 36' long. Would really like to have this with 2 full baths but cant seem to find one less than 14-15k#.
By reading these forums i have concluded that the average added weight to a tt is roughly 2000#. Is this assumption close or am i way off?
(2) Does anyone have any experience with this model?
(3)does anyone Know of a model with these amenities and 2 full baths within trucks comfortable towing weight?
sorry so long and thanks for your help and any suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherberv View Post
Hi all,
Just trying to do some research to pick the right rv for us. TV is a 2013 Ram Laramie 1500 crew cab w/5.8"bed 10,300#towing and 1500# payload per om and call to manufacturer and class 4 receiver. TT I'm looking at is Heartland Wilderness 3350DS dry weight 7540# and 36' long. Would really like to have this with 2 full baths but cant seem to find one less than 14-15k#.
By reading these forums i have concluded that the average added weight to a tt is roughly 2000#. Is this assumption close or am i way off?
(2) Does anyone have any experience with this model?
(3)does anyone Know of a model with these amenities and 2 full baths within trucks comfortable towing weight?
sorry so long and thanks for your help and any suggestions.
It would be good to know what the trailer's GVWR is as that will determine how much weight you can add to it. It might be well below average.

As for your truck a 1500 is too small as I doubt you'll be pulling the trailer empty. Plus at 36 feet it would be a lot to handle in a cross wind.

60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #3

The TT has two 4400lb axles. That equates to 8800lbs for GVWR. No way you're adding 2000 lbs to the 8000lb dry weight even when subtracting the TW.
Your 1500 lbs is too low for the properly loaded TT's tongue weight. You need to minus your kids and wife from the 1500 lbs. Also minus anything you've added to the truck.
JMO but it's way too much TT for that truck.

Heartland's notorious for under sizing their axles and tongue weight. Having the lower TW makes it look like you can tow it with smaller vehicles. That TT really needs 5200 lbs axles to have a decent CCC.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #4

Quote:
TV is a 2013 Ram Laramie 1500 crew cab w/5.8"bed 10,300#towing and 1500# payload per om and call to manufacturer and class 4 receiver.

Not doubting your research, but you may want to double check your ratings by your VIN just to make sure you are right. Remember, the dealers and factory love to hand out their biggest numbers to make their product attractive. Just like the RV dealer will tell you your truck will "pull that camper, no problem". According to the stats off of Trailer Life, tow ratings for the 2013 RAM CC with the 5.7 engine range from as low as 6,700 lbs up to the max of 10,300 lbs. You only get the 10,300 rating if it is a 2 wheel drive, with the Auto 6 speed and the 3:92 axle. Most RAMs were sold with a 3:55 rear unless specifically requested. Any deviation from from the above reduces you to closer to 8300 lbs towing. Just making sure you don't end up buying a trailer you can't pull. Good luck on the search.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #5

For a large travel trailer, 2,000 pounds is not too far off the mark. From the advertised Dry Weight, you need to add option packages, individual options, weight of propane, batteries, water ( if travelling “wet”), all your interior gear, clothes, dishes, etc, plus all your exterior camp gear. Most importantly, your 1,500 lbs payload is light. A 8,500 to 9,000 lb trailer will have around 1,000 to 1,100 lb loaded toungue weight. Hardly leaves anything in the truck for driver, passengers, dogs, coolers, and that 100 weight distributing hitch. Just like our bodies, the pounds add up in a hurry!
Old 12-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #6

Thanks everyone, I was concerned about the length because of other posts I've read. as far as the tow capacity it gets a little confusing to me because ram.com says 8k per vin but the vin specific owners manual and call to Chrysler both say 10.3k. and why would they spend the extra money to install a class 4 receiver on a vehicle rated for less than a class 3? not trying to argue just trying to understand.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks everyone, I was concerned about the length because of other posts I've read. as far as the tow capacity it gets a little confusing to me because ram.com says 8k per vin but the vin specific owners manual and call to Chrysler both say 10.3k. and why would they spend the extra money to install a class 4 receiver on a vehicle rated for less than a class 3? not trying to argue just trying to understand.
I wouldn't necessarily worry so much about length. You will overdo the weight before that really comes into play. Yes, with a little extra length you will catch more crosswind, but that rarely comes into play, but with a good WDH with sway control you won't notice it much. It's when you have too much weight back there and that gets to swaying is when you have issues. As far as a hitch, they buy in bulk, instead of worrying about a few dollars in overkill on a hitch. They just slap the hitch on that will cover everything and send it down the line. The 8000 lb tow rating sounds right, and I would keep the empty, dry trailer weight around 5K or less so you can load to around 6K without too much worry unless you are planning to camp right down the street from the house. You'll want to leave yourself around a 20% margin of safety on your weight for hills, stopping when someone cuts you off, starting up to merge into traffic, etc. There are plenty of TTs out there you can tow, just shop smart and don't listen to the dealers. You won't find one with 2 baths and you will be limited to one, possibly 2 slides in the 27-32' range. More slides = more weight= shorter RV. If you want bigger, unfortunately you will need a bigger TV.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:13 PM   #8
RPr

Real CAT scale numbers for you from my rig.

F-150 with max cargo of 1411 lbs. Tow rating 9500 lbs.
5000 lb. Dry weight TT is 6400 lbs when loaded for the road, of which 700 lbs is on the hitch.
Family, dog, camp gear is 700 lb.

Truck is at its max cargo limit with a 5000 lb. Dry weight TT.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:57 PM   #9

"As far as a hitch, they buy in bulk, instead of worrying about a few dollars in overkill on a hitch. They just slap the hitch on that will cover everything and send it down the line"

Yeah that makes sense.
Thanks for the numbers RPr I guess I will keep looking along those lines. You would think you could get the most accurate information by calling the manufacturer and providing the vin. I guess when they said 10.3k I took that and ran with it and that's why I ask people who know and will be honest So looking closer it is actually 8.6k but we aren't in any hurry so maybe before we get tt we can upgrade tv. Good thing is we didn't buy the truck thinking it would pull 10.3k we actually have had it a year and a half before we even thought about getting a tt and what we could pull. So I will keep looking and someday post pics of new rig
Thanks again for all the good info.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:53 AM   #10

Quote:
"As far as a hitch, they buy in bulk, instead of worrying about a few dollars in overkill on a hitch. They just slap the hitch on that will cover everything and send it down the line"

Yeah that makes sense.
Thanks for the numbers RPr I guess I will keep looking along those lines. You would think you could get the most accurate information by calling the manufacturer and providing the vin. I guess when they said 10.3k I took that and ran with it and that's why I ask people who know and will be honest So looking closer it is actually 8.6k but we aren't in any hurry so maybe before we get tt we can upgrade tv. Good thing is we didn't buy the truck thinking it would pull 10.3k we actually have had it a year and a half before we even thought about getting a tt and what we could pull. So I will keep looking and someday post pics of new rig
Thanks again for all the good info.
An excuse to pick up a brand new, Cummins equipped RAM is always great, lol. Your on the right path. As you shop for RVs and you find yourself liking ones that tend to fall in the 7-10K lb range, plan your truck purchase accordingly. If you find you're good to go in the 4-6K lb range, roll with what you have. Look forward to seeing the setup, good luck with the search. Hope to see you down the road.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
You Won't be happy

You won't be happy trying to pull something that big with a Half ton Pickup. I know, I made that mistake and it cost me. Upgrade to at least a HD 2500 or a F-250 for a tow vehicle. I tried to pull My 27 ft EVO 2360 with a half ton pickup set up for towing with air bags and a EQ hitch with sway bar. I was right at the limits and very under powered especially in the mountains and hills. Was very disappointed in the performance. Don't make that mistake get a bigger truck for yours and your families safety and everyone else on the road.