Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #1

Just signed up for the forum, need some advice on roof repairs

I've been doing a lot of research, and I thought I had it all figured out on how to do it for around 2-300 dollars, but after tearing into the roof on my TT today, I realized that perhaps my idea won't work at all.
The TT is a 30 ft, 99 Trail Lite travel trailer. the master bedroom is in the very front, and the section of the ceiling over it started sagging, and after this last ice storm here in Indiana, started leaking. I started to tear into the ceiling from the inside out today, just to see what I needed to do to it, and realized it's not going to be as simple as I hoped. Story of my life.
Here's what I had planned, and here's what I'm looking at.
I planned on replacing wooden cross supports, on the inside, repainting the roof, and calling it good, but when I started tearing into the ceiling, I realized that there is no wood supports up there. All I have is two thin pieces of wood laminate, with a 1.5 in piece of styrofoam sandwiched between them. Other than that, there is no wood structure in the roof.
Here's a pic

I started calling around, and it looks like it's going to be around 8k to take it to a shop to repair, since they want to do the entire roof. I don't have that. I would have been hard pressed to pull $300 out to buy the materials, to do it myself.
With all this being said, is it still possible somehow to use wood in place of the styrofoam, to run cross supports, to repair the roof, and brace it back flat, or am I essentially screwed, and sitting on a camper that I can't use or sell till I pay it off?
Also, with it being spring, and raining non stop, if there is a way to repair it, I need to figure out how quickly, before more damage occurs to the inside. THanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Welcome to our little group . Are those strips with the nail in it what holds the 1/4 plywood and insulation to the roof. Can you just remove the plywood. Replace the foam insulation and tack it back up. Then cover or paint the plywood ceiling. How do the strips hold to the roof. Sorry can't think of any other way, then salvage the tack strips and just rebuild it the way it came down. Peace....D

Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #3

First things first. Go to a farm store, Harbor Freight, or any store that sells cheap farm poly tarps and buy one that will cover the entire RV and down about half-way on the sides/ends. You will need bungee cords to hold it in place too. This will prevent more water intrusion.
Now you may begin replacing the ceiling without water creating further damage. We have a very knowledgeable group here, and I'm sure you will receive excellent advice.
You might browse through the "vintage RV" forum for posts by folks who have already been through your roof replacement issue.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #4

Ceiling / roof repair

I too am new to the forum, however I have done some repair on TTs before. As was stated get a tarp and cover it. As you have take pictures and take the ceiling down as gentle as possible so as not to damage the roof. Replace the foam and plywood. Once you have the inside done you can move on to the roof. Does it have a rubber roof or metal roof? If a metal roof you can double coatit and caulk and seal the seams. If a rubber roof you may need help from a dealer. I have a rubber roof on mine that is leaking and I have temporarily fixed it. It will have to go to a dealer to get fixed properly. Take your time in doing the repair, it will be worth it.
Good luck.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #5

Its all moot now, since my insurance company called me today, and said they decided they would cover the repairs to the roof, and replace all the damages anyway. That's a huge relief!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #6

Thank you for the update and disposition of your issue. It is gratifying when the originator of a thread lets the repliers know the outcome.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #7

I try...I'm on a lot of varied forums, and for some reason I haven't been getting my instant email updates from all of them, but I hate running into open ended threads when I'm searching for answers, so I try to bring some sort of closure to my threads. I'm just glad insurance ended up paying for it, when I wasn't expecting them too
Old 04-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #8
GPW

I'm always amazed that insurance companies are so willing to pay for outrageously expensive trailer repairs , When It's almost impossible to get them to pay for anything else ...

Glad it worked out for you Denn