Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #1

KABOOM!!!!!

60 mph on the interstate and the right rear TT tire went KABOOM!

It was just shy of 4 yrs old. Had plenty of tread. Carlisle ST Load Range D (TT weighs 4700# so it wasn't overloaded). Full 65 psi.

Actually not a surprise as I went through 3 of the same in one 3000 mile trip.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
TPMS warned you of a problem before this happened?

Old 08-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #3

Seems to be a habit almost always made in China, My Cousin blew 4 ( not at once)on a 200 mile trip he was not so happy, had to go into town and find tires each time while his wife waited with the Trailer, they were only 2 years old.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
go to LT's = please !
Old 08-21-2016, 09:53 PM   #5

Could be something as simple as a puncture. There is a lot of "stuff" on the highways these days. Often, the front tire will flip a nail or some kind of debris up so that the rear tire will hit it and cause a puncture. In 30 years of riding motorcycles on the street, I've never had a flat front tire, but I've had 4 flat rear tires.

As mentioned above, a TPMS might have alerted you to the issue before the KABOOM.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:30 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The right rear is the one that goes.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:08 AM   #7

No TPMS wouldn't have helped as it wasn't going flat. It had full 65 psi when it went KABOOM. It was a good KABOOM! The tire literally exploded.
It was tread separation. Tread separation on all 3. The other 2 were caught on morning walk arounds before driving for the day.
Didn't know there were 205 75 15 LTs even made. Have found some car tires that size with a weight rating about 50# less than a D rated ST. Have seen many 235 75 15 LTs but think they will rub in the wheel well.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Didn't know there were 205 75 15 LTs even made. Have seen many 235 75 15 LTs but think they will rub in the wheel well.
I used LT215/75-15 Goodyear Wrangler HT tires, they are only slightly larger. Check your rim width, they require 5.5" to 7" I used 6" wide aluminum wheels.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:56 AM   #9

Quote:
No TPMS wouldn't have helped as it wasn't going flat. It had full 65 psi when it went KABOOM. It was a good KABOOM! The tire literally exploded.
It was tread separation. Tread separation on all 3. The other 2 were caught on morning walk arounds before driving for the day.
Didn't know there were 205 75 15 LTs even made. Have found some car tires that size with a weight rating about 50# less than a D rated ST. Have seen many 235 75 15 LTs but think they will rub in the wheel well.
I had the same problem, with the same brand. Replaced with Maxxis and moved up to load range E and that seems to have fixed it. BTW just because it blew suddenly doesn't mean a tpms wouldn't help, as the tire begins to heat up before it blows and the monitor would notify you of this.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:33 AM   #10

It has been my experience
that regardless of tread depth and sidewall condition, buy new tires every three years. You should buy a complete set or expect further failures.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #11

I have heard people with good success using Goodyear Cargo G26 tires on trailers.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:57 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
BTW just because it blew suddenly doesn't mean a tpms wouldn't help, as the tire begins to heat up before it blows and the monitor would notify you of this.
Well, *maybe*. I'm not quite ready to trust a valve stem TPMS to tell me the tire is heating up to the point where it will fail due to being too hot. I don't know if the TPMS sensors I have are recording the temp of the air inside the tire, or their own temp from being on the sunny side of the vehicle, for example.

Quote:
No TPMS wouldn't have helped as it wasn't going flat. It had full 65 psi when it went KABOOM.
If you don't have TPMS, how can you be sure it had 65 PSI in the miles leading up to the blowout? Unfortunately, you can't be sure as there is no other way that I know of to monitor the pressure as the vehicle rolls down the road before pressure loss has a detrimental effect on driving, or a catastrophic failure occurs.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My TPMS by TST is not a guarantee or perfect, but it's better than a sharp stick in the,,,,,, tire.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Must be tire blowing season. A friend of mine has posted photos of two separate tires blown all to H E double hockey sticks in the last 3 or four days! I'll ask him for the details when he gets back...and cools off...lol.

Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote