Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2016, 05:10 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Try to imagine the surging of the liquid as you accelerate, brake, turn, etc. If you brake kinda hard, like when the light turns yellow and you can't floor it to get through, all of the liquid and loose contents will surge forward, and then when you stop, it will surge back over a virtually empty portion of the tank.

I'm not gonna put a GoPro and a light down in my black tank to see if this actually happens with any ice cubes, but I can see how that might get the cubes to where they "scrape" even the bottom of the tank.
No need for GoPro, just watch the video bro.

TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
The mound/mess is easy to avoid, use lots of H2O.............IT WILL WORK AND MOVE!
Less H2O , the reason for this and others posts...........
Spend your extra money wisely.........

Old 03-14-2016, 09:12 AM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
Huh? Not wanting to debate this point but If you add more water the ice will completely float and not scrape against anything. He explains that at the end. You will never be able to know exactly how much you need as its an enclosed tank. Furthermore, he drove like a lunatic to make it slosh around. That's not practical in an RV and pretty dangerous.

It's clear from this video, that ice does nothing for you but a psychological peace of mind that things are cleansing in there lol.

I have yet to see a video to disprove his claims. Until then, I will go with these findings.
You missed the most important part.

Quote:
Better yet, don't ever dry dock your toilet.
There should never be any mounds to start with. The Dawn, dish washer soap, laundry detergent, or whatever you use is probably more effective than the ice.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:06 AM   #74

We simulated the TP test too and decided a few brands to use. They are out in the shed waiting to get loaded on the RV. I did the test with 4 brands, just inverting the container twice then let it sit for a few hours, then inverted it again similar to the video. Gives you piece of mind.

The PUREX one sounds great but only for sale in Canada!
Old 03-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #75

Someone suggested to me that after he dumps, he puts in a big bag of ice. He says as he rides down the road the ice "scrubs" the tank clean.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #76

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by andedriesen View Post
Someone suggested to me that after he dumps, he puts in a big bag of ice. He says as he rides down the road the ice "scrubs" the tank clean.

See post #49 and subsequent posts about ice effectiveness. The one thing ice will do is add water to the tank. An alternative strategy would be to dump bottled water down the toilet if you insist on doing it the expensive way. Water is the key, poo pyramids can't form if everything is kept wet. A bit of detergent or water softener will keep the water 'wet' and help break down any grease or oils. Adding or using tank sprayers can also help reduce problems, but nothing will sterilize the tank after use.

To answer the OP's original question, "Keeping The Black Tank Clean From The Start". The only sure method of keeping the tank clean is NEVER USE IT. Use campground and rest stop bathrooms. Do as truck drivers do and fill soda bottles and pitch them, or as bears do and use the woods.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:21 PM   #77

Thanks for posting this ad I just bought a brand new keystone and had the same ?.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:32 AM   #78

If I'm going out for a night or two with only two people I'd imagine there would be next to nothing in my black tank. Does one ALWAYS empty the tank at the end of the trip? Or is it normal to leave it for the next trip in a few weeks?
Old 03-30-2016, 03:37 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb71 View Post
If I'm going out for a night or two with only two people I'd imagine there would be next to nothing in my black tank. Does one ALWAYS empty the tank at the end of the trip? Or is it normal to leave it for the next trip in a few weeks?
I dump after every trip. If tank is not full, I use the black tank rinse to fill it up., then dump. Grey water can get pretty funky too after a few days of sitting. Keep your rig fresh and ready for the next trip
Old 03-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #80

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb71 View Post
To repeat the mantra of most of the previous posters, the key is lots of water. If you want to dump when the tank isn't 2/3 full, you have to put water in. Before we had a black tank flush, I would just run the toilet. Fill the bowl by depressing the lever just a bit, push the lever all the way to open the flap, repeat for a long time! Most toilets are regulated to about 2.5 gallons a minute so it can take a while. You don't want to run the toilet with the flap open for quite a few minutes - it stinks!
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
I dump after every trip. If tank is not full, I use the black tank rinse to fill it up., then dump. Grey water can get pretty funky too after a few days of sitting. Keep your rig fresh and ready for the next trip
Same here. I learned to always store the RV with clean tanks as plans get changed due to health issues. Clean out all the tanks and be sure to add water to cover evaporation. I add a scoop of Happy Camper also.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #82

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
To repeat the mantra of most of the previous posters, the key is lots of water. If you want to dump when the tank isn't 2/3 full, you have to put water in. Before we had a black tank flush, I would just run the toilet. Fill the bowl by depressing the lever just a bit, push the lever all the way to open the flap, repeat for a long time! Most toilets are regulated to about 2.5 gallons a minute so it can take a while. You don't want to run the toilet with the flap open for quite a few minutes - it stinks!
I use the shower head to fill
Old 03-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
I use the shower head to fill
That's what I was thinking too.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:09 PM   #84

Gulf Streamers Club
Shower head often has a flow restrictor, so it will still take a while, plus you have to leave the toilet valve open so bowl doesn't overflow. Perhaps you're referring to the spray head that is attached to the toilet?

You might check and see if your lavatory sink dumps into the black tank, you could add water to the tank with that. You could also pass the hose in a window and fill it that way. I have two tank sprayers that I can turn on and fill tank with them hooked to a hose.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank