Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #1

Keeping TT from running away when boondocking?

Planning on taking our TT camping this spring for a couple of months and some of the time we will be leaving it for the day when boondocking out in the sticks while we go and explore.

What kind of security gizmos do you use on your ball, receiver, wheels to keep the rig from running off with new owners?

Dave
2016 Creekside 23RKS 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex inverter, 4 GC2 batteries 450AH, 2016 F350 CC SB diesel 4x4, Cooper 275 R70 17 studded snows in winter, Michelin 245/75R 17 A/T2 the rest of the year. https://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca
crosscheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2017, 10:49 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscheck View Post
Planning on taking our TT camping this spring for a couple of months and some of the time we will be leaving it for the day when boondocking out in the sticks while we go and explore.

What kind of security gizmos do you use on your ball, receiver, wheels to keep the rig from running off with new owners?

Dave
If you have a slide make it difficult to close manually, have your lock's changed (a lot of campers have master keys available especially the storage doors share a common key with the majority of Campers), let the air out of the tires and remove the valve stems don't loose them (makes sure you have a reliable air source to refill them), these things are all a lot of work but if you are boondocking far from civilization time is on the thief's side so the trick is to make them work hard and long to get it back to a towable state. If they have enough time nothing will stop them if they want it bad enough they will get it
supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #3

Buy a trailer ball, cut the threads off and lock it into your coupler.

A good coupler lock is hard to get off and the hole being full, keeps them from dropping it on a smaller ball.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #4

I would be more afraid of theft of belongings and vandalism. People will break in and steal what's inside and /or just vandalize it.

Someone suggested flattening the tires. I would think that would give the impression it was abandoned or a dumped stolen RV
Old 02-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
I would be more afraid of theft of belongings and vandalism. People will break in and steal what's inside and /or just vandalize it.

Someone suggested flattening the tires. I would think that would give the impression it was abandoned or a dumped stolen RV
Keep it jacked up but take the valves out of the stems it won't look flat till they raise the jacks you just have to be creative making stealing it as hard as possible, like I said I'd they want it and have enough time they will get it regardless of how well it's secured, there are a lot of powerful battery operated tools out there that could make stealing a camper off grid much easier than a decade ago, so doing things not expected like no valves in the tires (there's no easy workaround) unless they happen to be driving a tire service truck? Any lock can be cut! Missing parts needed to tow it can't be fixed with all the tools in the world. Like I said if your worried about it looking abandoned make sure what ever you do doesn't make it look that way
Old 02-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #6

You don't want to flatten the tires.

An approaching storm system, flooding river, forest fire, jail break or just an order to move would take way to long.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Unbolt the hitch, but if it's welded on, no way to stop a determined thief! My suggestion would be to leave it in a safe place, like a campsite with others around. Visit with the other campers and then if someone strange comes along, hopefully they will question them. Safety in numbers. Social people are happy people.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You don't want to flatten the tires.

An approaching storm system, flooding river, forest fire, jail break or just an order to move would take way to long.
Tru if it's your only home, ifni were worried about theft I would secure it as well as possible but if I need to bug out ASAP I would leave the camper it's much easier to get away without a big camper behind me, I would just let my insurance take care of the loss! Campers are replaceable people are not!! I would never put property before life and I would never let it slow me down whether it's the time it takes to hook up or it keeping me from driving anywhere I want. But you have to ask yourself what your priorities are?
Old 02-25-2017, 02:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertramp View Post
Tru if it's your only home, ifni were worried about theft I would secure it as well as possible but if I need to bug out ASAP I would leave the camper it's much easier to get away without a big camper behind me, I would just let my insurance take care of the loss! Campers are replaceable people are not!! I would never put property before life and I would never let it slow me down whether it's the time it takes to hook up or it keeping me from driving anywhere I want. But you have to ask yourself what your priorities are?
I don't need a lesson in self preservation, I get that. There is ASAP and run for your life.

A few minutes to hook up a trailer compared to inflating 4 tires, unless you carry a shop size compressor, and then hooking it up, is a signifigant difference.

Pulling the valve cores is just a bad idea. There are a number of reasons you could end up with a flat.

Before I would deflate my tires, out in " no man's land ", I would risk it being stolen. When they drop it off the jacks and attemp to move it, your returning to 4 damaged tires. Now what ?
Old 02-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #10

Take the tires on one side with you or store them with someone elsewhere. Then put two or three lug nut or lug bolt locks on the "empty side.
Need I say take the keys with you or store them with the tires you took off?
Anybody that wants to steal your rig, if they have enough time, will accomplish the theft. Thieves are too lazy to work hard and by doing the above you just made their thievery hard work.
Also, buy an anti-theft warning sticker from a dealer that states your coach is being monitored and has a tracking device installed.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #11

I'd agree that it's far more likely to be burglarized and/or vandalized than stolen. Stealing involves some serious commitment; there's just too much chance of the owner coming back while you're hooking up or leaving with it. They could even meet the crook on the road, recognize their trailer and call the law.

I'd go with twinboat's idea of locking a ball into the hitch with a good coupler lock. Odds are pretty strong that a thief will not have the tools necessary to remove the lock, and even if he did it'd take long enough he wouldn't want to risk taking the time when the owner may be back any minute.

Just for fun and because it's cheap and easy, leave a note on your door. "Joe and Sam, sorry I had to leave for a moment. Hang out for a little while, and I'll be right back." Maybe if you implant the idea in their brains that you'll be back very soon, they'll go away and leave you alone. Or maybe not. But I can't see how it'd hurt

All in all, I'd prefer to use Unplanned's plan (that sounded weird) and stay with other campers if possible.

While typing this I found myself wondering if any of the inexpensive GPS tracking devices would be worthwhile. It seems it could be hidden pretty easily in an RV.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:05 PM   #12

Leave a cell phone turned on and hidden in camper that you you can track the phone to campers location.
2Bargos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:12 PM   #13

Insure it heavily.... seems like nothing ever happens when you've taken the expense in being prepared...
Old 02-25-2017, 06:23 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
I use a hitch lock plus x-chocks between both wheels on both sides really tight and with locks...like people mentioned most won't spend the time or effort to steal it if it looks difficult for them. But like others said if they want it bad enough they will take it.
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking