Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 06:04 AM   #1

Keeping water heater on continuously

Wondering if there's an issue with keeping the water heater on all the time when parked. Thinking of this for winter to help prevent freezing.

To this point, I've been turning the water heater on when I need it. Typically this is first thing in the morning to shower and wash dishes (I keep the prior day lunch/dinner dishes till the next morning). Then I turn it off when finished.

Our household water heaters stay on all the time. Of course, those are pretty robust units. Doing it in a trailer would, of course, use propane (or electric if hooked up) but I'm not concerned about the propane use. My main concern is whether it would be more likely to burn out if it's not overly robust.

The model is a Suburban SW6DEL. I'm going to contact the manufacturer as well, I'm also looking for actual user experience (not necessarily with the same model of heater).

Thanks
RFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 06:08 AM   #2

I wouldn’t think it would hurt it, I’m sure there are full timers that leave them on all the time, but what about the water pipes? Are they going to freeze?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:09 AM   #3

Your water heater works on a thermostat.

I have NEVER TURNED MINE OFF.

winter nor summer.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:24 AM   #4

We have Atwood but leave it on electric 24/7 except when driving.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:09 AM   #5

if your not using it, drain it. If there is no water it can't freeze. It can help it too. There needs to be an air pocket trapped inside. That's just part of how it works. It can be absorbed into the water. Draining it helps replenish that plus you can get some nasty water from some parks. Draining it out is just good maintenance
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The Heater is thermostatically controlled. So it will not stay on all the time just when it needs to get to temp...

Dont forget, the water heater is well insulated to keep the water hot. This works both ways...
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #7

When I was a snowbird we left the water heater on for 6 months while in Florida. If you are in freezing weather leaving it on will only help keeping that water from freezing.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:12 AM   #8

Difference between your Suburban and a residential water heater.........SIZE

Both thermostatic controlled heating cycles
Both have cold inlet/hot outlets with dip tubes
Both are steel tank that are glass-lined
Both use an anode rod for 'protection' of that steel tank

Both can be turned on and left on PROVIDED they have WATER in them

I like HOT water when I want hot water........so water heater is ON all the time that the RV is set up for use.

**FYI----
Your 'DEL' model uses 12VDC to control BOTH the electric & propane functions
A DC Relay closes to allow AC to element.
DC Relay is in the DC Junction Box on side of WH Tank (from backside)

Wiring diagram for the DEL series

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #9

When we're camping we leave it on 24/7 when hooked to elec sites. When dry camping we only turn it on when needed. We may leave it on most the day as needs arise. At night we shut it off. I get up earliest so I turn it on in the morning for the wife.
When parked at home it's off.
Why run it and cause wear and tear if you don't need it? When dry camping why run it when not needed and waste propane?
There's not much to wear out but IMO why use it if you don't need it?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #10

Suburban says to drain it if you’re not going to use it. So if freezing is a concern drain it, set the valves to bypass, winterize. If you’re worried about freezing while not in use, seems to
Me you may run out of propane at the least favorable time.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #11

The odds of it failing due to burning up are extremely low. I've never even heard of such a thing happening. I have had insects make nests in the propane lines which made them fail before. I've heard of mice chewing up wires which also leads to failures. Certain parts can also fail, but that's just bad luck IMO. The computer or phone you're using now to check the forums are far more complicated than any water heater.
I don't see any problem with leaving it on. My tankless stays on all the time. Back when I had tanked water heaters, the only times I'd turn them off is when I was traveling and when I was away from them for extended periods of time. (Think the water heater at the hunting camp when we leave the camp.)
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:40 AM   #12

Thanks for the feedback & insights.

To reiterate, I'm not talking about leaving water in it over the winter when the unit will not be used at all. I'll be using mine in the winter basically daily for showering and washing dishes.

As far as other water freezing, the fresh tank has a heating pad on it. The furnace also has a line that routes to the underbelly so when the furnace is running, that area is being heated and it should be enough to prevent freezing. There's also a decent amount of insulation around the tanks and lines.

With respect to propane, I've got 2, 30lb tanks on the trailer and am carrying 2, 20lb tanks as backup in the truck. If I run out of propane it's because I'm stupid and didn't fill up when I had the chance, not because the hot water heater is left on all the time (except when driving).
RFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFisher View Post

To reiterate, I'm not talking about leaving water in it over the winter when the unit will not be used at all. I'll be using mine in the winter basically daily for showering and washing dishes.

As far as other water freezing, the fresh tank has a heating pad on it. The furnace also has a line that routes to the underbelly so when the furnace is running, that area is being heated and it should be enough to prevent freezing. There's also a decent amount of insulation around the tanks and lines.

With respect to propane, I've got 2, 30lb tanks on the trailer and am carrying 2, 20lb tanks as backup in the truck. If I run out of propane it's because I'm stupid and didn't fill up when I had the chance, not because the hot water heater is left on all the time (except when driving).
Your location in the country will determine if you will be showering and doing dishes during the winter.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFisher View Post

Don’t you leave the LP on when you’re driving?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater