Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #1

Keystone Hideout VS Jayco Jay Flight?

My wife and I have been looking at 28-30ft bunkhouses and have pretty much narrowed it down to 2 models. She really liked the Shadow Cruiser s-280QBS, but there are none in our area.

We have settled between the Keystone Hideout 29BHS, which she likes. I have taken a liking to the Jayco Jay Flight 29QBS. She is oblivious to either brand and just likes the looks of the Keystone. In my limited research, I have found many many horror stories of Keystone shafting people on the warranty and just shoddy craftsmanship. I'm sure Jayco has its lemons too, but it is harder to find bad comments on Jayco.

What are the opinions of the masses here?

PS: This will be a MAJOR upgrade from our 01 R-Vision Trail-lite 7253!
DougL3NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #2

Stay away from the Keystone. Not sure on the Jayco. Airstream is tops with Northwood products coming in at #2. Better to make a good choice first and not repeat mistakes others have made and are still regretting.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:57 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
I agree about Keystone... Have an unhandy friend that owns one. I work on his more than mine, by far. Jayco seems to have a better reputation. I have another friend that is very handy, and he owns a Jayco. He's a practical guy that works on mechanical systems for buildings... air conditioning, plumbing, etc. He's very impressed with Jayco and is beating on me because I'm impressed with Grand Design's Reflection trailer. My next one will probably be a Grand Design Reflection... and definitely NOT a Keystone.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #4

We have a 2012 keystone 26b and a 2010 starcraft Autumn Ridge 329bhu. (Starcraft/jayco=same company). My experience has been that the both have similar workmanship and quality. They both use a comparable level quality of subsystem components.

My experience has been very good with both brands. We use both units a good deal. Also, I do most of all my own work.

You might talk to any independent rv shop. They will also tell you which brands to avoid.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
We have a 2012 keystone 26b and a 2010 starcraft Autumn Ridge 329bhu. (Starcraft/jayco=same company). My experience has been that the both have similar workmanship and quality. They both use a comparable level quality of subsystem components.

My experience has been very good with both brands. We use both units a good deal. Also, I do most of all my own work.

You might talk to any independent rv shop. They will also tell you which brands to avoid.
As mentioned eariler, keystone/jayco are not in the same trailer category w/airstream/northwood. Their price reflects that fact. You can get good quality in this range but it is for typical family recreational duty.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
As mentioned eariler, keystone/jayco are not in the same trailer category w/airstream/northwood. Their price reflects that fact. You can get good quality in this range but it is for typical family recreational duty.

I would buy an Airstream/Northwood, but they don't seem to offer a bunkhouse...which is a critical part of what I'm shopping for.
DougL3NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:45 PM   #7

Jayco has a Superior floor and roof system in my opinions. 5/8" plywood over 2 x 3 floor joists, and a 2 x 2 trussed (with 2 x 2 blocks for support) roof. With 3/8" plywood screwed not nailed down. Also the Jayco offers a little taller head room than the outback. JMHO
wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:32 PM   #8

My wife and I looked at various TTs for almost 2 years, we kept coming back to the Jayco Jayflight and we purchased the 26RKS and love it.. we chose the version with the Couch with the bunk-beds.. We just changed all our incandescent bulbs for LED bulbs and we changed the one 12v Group 24 battery for 2 Trojan T105 GC batteries which gives us 225 ah capacity. Look at the capacities of the water tanks when looking at TT's for us, that was key. WE ordered our and added the upgraded polar package, 15K btu AC Mag wheels, larger 8' refrig and freezer, motor front lift. For us it was the best bang for the buck we could find. There are more expensive ones out there .... Good Luck.
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco, light