Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2015, 07:03 PM   #1

Keystone reviews????

So went to an RV show this weekend fell in love with the Keystone Outback 312BH. It met all the requirements for us. I came home an did some of my own research and I can't find any reviews that are remotely positive or have anything good to say about the quality of materials or service department or warranty dept.

Anyone have a keystone? Anyone know anyone who has had one and loves theirs? I have a few other choices out there and could compromise on something similar, but you know how it goes when you want what you want. I just don't want to make a bad mistake because I want what I want.

I am sure all campers brands have their bad seeds as do Automotive brands, just curious. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:20 AM   #2

reviews

during your research what did the reviews say, what were the negatives.
can i assume the reviewers own an out back.

i ask because i just bought one, i'm interested.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 02-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #3

The complaints were in regards to electrical problems, leaks, mislabeled gray/ black water tanks , not honoring the warranty on most issues. Some people have called for lawyers to help settle on going issues on brand new, less they a year old campers. One guy used it firs time and was using his pots and pans to collect water for various places it had that many roof leaks. Over all Keystone was not the best people to work with on issues that clearly missed the quality control check before leaving the manufacturer. There is a keystone Forum page like this one.

None of it was what I wanted to read because like I said we knew it was the camper for us as soon as we saw it. I like to read the reviews, but take most with a grain of salt knowing that there are issues from time to time.

So do you love yours? Have you had any issues?
Old 02-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #4

my 316RL

We bought it Jan 23.15. dealer agreed to store it until May, we'll pick it up

at that time. Dealer is reputable and ihas been a family business for

a very long time. We.ll find put. Thats the unit my wife wanted and i like

it myself.

Jim
Old 02-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #5

I chose the Forest River Salem Hemisphere 312qbud. Very similar to the unit your looking at. Reasons being lighter, more kitchen storage cabinets, and less expensive. I've had it two years with excellent warranty service provided by Camping World. (Who was not even the dealer I bought it from). Forest River just pre-approved all repairs and compensated CW for the work.

My previous trailer was an 2002 Outback that I purchased used. We camping in it for about two years with minimal problems until we discovered previous major roof and water damage. Nothing against the Outback but lack of care from the previous owner.

I would suggest checking out the Hemisphere. If you can't find them around you try the Heritage Glen 312 QBUD. Exact same as the Hemisphere with different decals and couch. Like Chevy vs. GMC.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #6

We bought an Outback has outside kitchen and basically a second bedroom in the rear. Carried it straight to lake lot. Bought it new in '13. Bought 7 year extended warranty because it is set up permanent. We love it. Only problem cooling unit went out on fridge last year. Dealer sent tech pulled it repaired at dealership. Returned. $50 deductible was it.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:45 PM   #7

keystone outback

We have a 2012 Outback 277 RL that we purchased used. We have had it a little over 2 years and have had no problems with it except for a bad wire in the Dometic fridge. This was a recall issue by Dometic ,not Keystone. We have used this camper about 25 to 30 weekends a year, From April to November, and it has kept us very comfortable. We have owned 4 different Keystone products and have been very satisfied with all of them. Find a good dealer that will take care of you after the sale and enjoy !!
Old 02-18-2015, 07:23 AM   #8

Thank you everyone so much for the info....great reads some of them as well as informative. I also found a website called outbacker.com. it was pretty interesting. Some video about Outback rallies of the past.

Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:27 AM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a 2006 Outback that we have traveled in, full time for 9years.

Best RV of five we have ever owned over the years.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:00 AM   #10

We have a 2013 Keystone Premier, we love it, we had a couple small issues that the dealer took care of for us and they contacted Keystone. I feel a good dealer will do that and I should never have to deal with Keystone. Friends of ours have had an Outback for 4 years without any issues. His only issue is he wishes he had more outdoor storage.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojo1228 View Post
So went to an RV show this weekend fell in love with the Keystone Outback 312BH. It met all the requirements for us. I came home an did some of my own research and I can't find any reviews that are remotely positive or have anything good to say about the quality of materials or service department or warranty dept.

Anyone have a keystone? Anyone know anyone who has had one and loves theirs? I have a few other choices out there and could compromise on something similar, but you know how it goes when you want what you want. I just don't want to make a bad mistake because I want what I want.

I am sure all campers brands have their bad seeds as do Automotive brands, just curious. Thanks.
Go to Keystone RV Forum & down load their PDI (Pre delivery checklist & insist that dealer will go over every item on checklist .
That's what we did & have had nothing but minor issues with over 100 days of camping in our 2014 Cougar 28RLS
Minor issues were small leaks in window during wind blow storms .black tank flush not working ,bathroom fan quit working,
All items were fixed by dealer under keystones 1 year warranty .
Look at the valves Keystone does have an issues of mislabeling the blacktank/ grey tank valves which I just switched the labels
Happy camping
Old 02-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #12

2011 Keystone Laredo bought new......

Only 2 issues.

(1) Hole in floor under bathroom shower drain had to be enlarged so plumbing would not bind while standing in/using the shower. Dealer fixed with no problems

(2) Two years later had the front electric stab jacks quit working. You could use the emergency hand crank and it worked but the electric motor would just spin. Didn't even mess with dealer or warranty. Just took the motor off, opened it up and replaced the Jesus key in the little gear box. Put it back together and it worked just fine......

We've made a half dozen trips to Colorado from the Dallas/Fort Worth area, a few around locally, and hauled it to the hunting lease and back a few times. Maintenance is the key. I treat the roof every six months and repack wheel bearings about every 18 months...
Hunt n Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #13

After talking with a few dealers about this at the Raleigh, NC RV show... I have come to the conclusion that it depends on the reputation of the RV dealer. I do realize there is gonna be problems with everything you buy on occasion. I am the type who takes care of what I purchase so I am not scared away from a Keystone just thought I'd ask for other people's experiences. The person who posted the walk thru list is amazing and I have already moved it into a file for future reference. If everyone had that prior to purchase I bet it would save a lot of hassle.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #14

Based on my brothers and cousin's experiences with Keystone products I would steer clear of them. You will be able to find the same floor plan that you like in a better quality trailer. Unless you plan on trading every two years run don't walk away.