Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #1

Keystone Travel trailers

Any problems with staples loose on siding? 2014 Keystone Springdale.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 11:29 PM   #2

That's the least of problems with Keystone trailers.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

We just returned from a 4,600+ miles trip out West with our 2016 Keystone Bullet 269RLS ultra-lite and had zero problems with it. This included several days of boondocking and traveling over some pretty rough and gnarly roads.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #4

I think all makes have lemons somewhere in the assembly line ! Our first TT was a 2000 Keystone Springdale, although a piece of sh !!!!! because of previous owners, all the basics, heat,air,frig still worked fine till we sold it !
Old 07-15-2016, 07:58 AM   #5

We have had our 28ft springdale for 6 months now and spent 100 nights or so in it. We are the second owners (it is a 2011 model year). We have had only some minor problems (would hardly call them problems) all fixed in 5 minutes a piece.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #6

Not everyone will have severe problems but Thor and Forest River have announced that they know their quality is substandard and their customer service is lacking. You can't build units at low levels of quality, sell them cheaply and still have money left over to handle customer warranty problems to the customers satisfaction. It is good to see that the builders are owning up to the problems they have caused themselves.
The growth of makers who sell direct is a direct response to these problems. They know that informed customers are willing to pay more for a higher level of quality.
I also deal with ongoing issues but luckily I enjoy making changes and improvements. Someday my trailer will be up to the quality standards it should have met when it left the factory.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Not everyone will have severe problems but Thor and Forest River have announced that they know their quality is substandard and their customer service is lacking. You can't build units at low levels of quality, sell them cheaply and still have money left over to handle customer warranty problems to the customers satisfaction. It is good to see that the builders are owning up to the problems they have caused themselves.
The growth of makers who sell direct is a direct response to these problems. They know that informed customers are willing to pay more for a higher level of quality.
I also deal with ongoing issues but luckily I enjoy making changes and improvements. Someday my trailer will be up to the quality standards it should have met when it left the factory.
What issue have you had?

So far for me its been a leaking hot water tank LP valve (not really a keystone issue)

Substandard electrical receptacles that the wires wouldn't stay into therefore causing all downstream outlets to stop working. (replaced with new receptacles at 5 bucks a piece and 5 minutes a piece)

armreset behind dinette fell off (replaced with better L brackets)

leaks under kitchen sink as drain and faucet connections weren't tightened properly (luckily I caught that one our first weekend out in the TT)

I had a leak at the bottom of the dinette slideout due to lack of a proper drip edge (fixed with silicone but will add a proper drip edge some day possibly). was also lucky to catch this one rather early.

I also have an issue of the fridge fan short cycling constantly when the temps go above 85. This is an easy fix, common issue, and not really a keystone issue.

The window in my front door was leaking and running down the door inside the TT. Fixed with silicone, again not really keystone as these plexiglass front windows seem to be the same in every TT.

The thing a lot of people need to remember is that most all trailers are built with the same components IE. dometic, atwood, and suburban components so a lot of what people see as issues are not really the fault of the TT. The main thing is if you are slightly handy you can fix things quickly and enjoy camping. Im the type who can't sit still for long periods of time so I hate to say it but I kind of enjoy It when I have to fix or modify something
Old 07-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #8

So agree with your last statement there ! It hard to believe how the TT industries never seems to change/upgrade things, a lot of the hardware on our old 2000 are the same on our new 2015.
Our new Grey Wolf Limited is a Forrest River product, and i know it's not on the high end of the TT's. But well over a year and a half and many trips, we happy. The only biggy with us has been the AC Unit, and that's Dometics problem !

Sad to see that Jayco sold out to Thor , another independent gone !
Old 07-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
So agree with your last statement there ! It hard to believe how the TT industries never seems to change/upgrade things, a lot of the hardware on our old 2000 are the same on our new 2015.
Our new Grey Wolf Limited is a Forrest River product, and i know it's not on the high end of the TT's. But well over a year and a half and many trips, we happy. The only biggy with us has been the AC Unit, and that's Dometics problem !

Sad to see that Jayco sold out to Thor , another independent gone !

I have been in several higher end units just chatting with folk etc, not really poking around the way id like to (would be better off going to a dealer for that as it would be awkward hahaha) but im curios if the higher end units use better pex fittings, something better than plastic connecting faucets to water lines etc. like when people say build quality all of these things come to mind for me. Just because your interior trim pieces didn't fall off doesn't mean a trailer is better quality for example. Id like to know if some of these "better units" really do use higher end matierals in every aspect (electrical, plumbing, etc).

I was also sad to see jayco go to thor as well. When we outgrow our springdale I'm thinking we may try a wildwood (3 friends of mine have them and 0 issues). one of them is 10 years old with 2 slideouts.

Here in newfoundland we have very few dealers. we have 2 keystone dealers (7 hours apart), a zinger dealer, and a jayco dealer (who will probly sell keystone soon as well I guess) We also have a dealer who sells prime time rv (avenger).
Old 07-19-2016, 04:05 PM   #10

We are considering a TT, preferably light weight. What brands/models does the group consider "higher end"?
Old 07-19-2016, 06:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura970 View Post
We are considering a TT, preferably light weight. What brands/models does the group consider "higher end"?
You mean a lightweight high end? Sometimes those two don't go hand in hand. For high end look at the ORV models. They sell the same basic floor plans in various levels of "high-endness" But all the levels are pretty well made. Grand Design has pretty good customer satisfaction. Northwood builds good stuff with goofy floor plans.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #12

tradeoffs

buy-ing a TT or any RV is a tradeoff, you might get a larger bed but somewhere

you'll lose space. a TT is a rectangular and there is only so much room.

Jim
Old 07-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
You mean a lightweight high end? Sometimes those two don't go hand in hand. For high end look at the ORV models. They sell the same basic floor plans in various levels of "high-endness" But all the levels are pretty well made. Grand Design has pretty good customer satisfaction. Northwood builds good stuff with goofy floor plans.
Thanks so much for the ideas. We're most interested in high quality. Fit and finish is great, but I don't want to deal with quality issues.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl_keystone View Post
I have been in several higher end units just chatting with folk etc, not really poking around the way id like to (would be better off going to a dealer for that as it would be awkward hahaha) but im curios if the higher end units use better pex fittings, something better than plastic connecting faucets to water lines etc. like when people say build quality all of these things come to mind for me. Just because your interior trim pieces didn't fall off doesn't mean a trailer is better quality for example. Id like to know if some of these "better units" really do use higher end matierals in every aspect (electrical, plumbing, etc).

I was also sad to see jayco go to thor as well. When we outgrow our springdale I'm thinking we may try a wildwood (3 friends of mine have them and 0 issues). one of them is 10 years old with 2 slideouts.

Here in newfoundland we have very few dealers. we have 2 keystone dealers (7 hours apart), a zinger dealer, and a jayco dealer (who will probly sell keystone soon as well I guess) We also have a dealer who sells prime time rv (avenger).
As far as PEX fittings, the pipe is pretty much the same. There are three classes of this style of pipe but really only two styles are used for potable water. I think the better procedure is to use Flair-It fittings to join the pipe. The cheap way of course is the compression rings. Good luck repairing this if you have a leak. You need the special rings and a crimp tool that is awkward to use in the cramped quarters in RV's. Flair-It fittings can be removed and reinstalled and rarely leak. They can be retightened.
The other plumbing in most trailers is cheap plastic junk. Replace it with quality home use products. With water leaks being serious problems you would think that companies would not use the junk they do.

Tags
travel, travel trailer