Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #1

Keystone vs Forest River

We are looking for our first lightweight travel trailer and have narrow down the choices to these two models:

2014 Keystone Passport 2510 RB
http://www.byerlyrv.com/inventory/285965/New-2014-Keystone-RV-Passport-2510RB-Grand-Touring.aspx

and 2014 Forest River Surveyor SP 275.
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2014-Forest-River-Surveyor-Sport-275-110296341

Both floor plans are pretty much the same. After weighing pros and cons on each their scores came in pretty close, with Surveyor lead a couple of score from features like LED light awning, rack, roof ladder, bigger TV, etc. What rings the bell to us was when we saw msrp on passport is a few grand higher than the surveyor even though passport have less features than surveyor. We got a quote on passport to be $22800 and Surveyor to be $22300

Does this mean Keystone make a higher quality trailer??
linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Not necessarily, but it is 1,000 lbs heavier (and also a higher CCC, which means you can put more in it) than the Forest River Surveyor.

If you're interested in the Keystone, make sure you check prices against Holman: Holmanrv.com || Holman Wholesale RV and Lakeshore: Lakeshore RV Dealer of Keystone, Forest River, Heartland RVs . I don't think either carries Forest River products.

At this price point both trailers are in the same niche, so you are definitely in an apples-to-apples comparison zone. And, you've done your homework, too! So, pick the best apple that feels right for you and get out there camping!

(Make sure you invest in a good weight distributing hitch set up with sway control, which makes all the difference in the world when towing.).

Hope this helps! Best of luck to you!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #3

I have a Forest River 2010 sp 275 surveyor. The fresh water tank is placed above the axle. Check to make sure there is enough clearance between the tank and axle. My tank sagged a bit, and the axle, when we hit a bumb in the road, comes up far enough to hit the tank. [Forest River is sending my dealer some parts to fix this issue.]
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #4

I have a 2012 Passport, although my is a 238MLWE. I've been very happy with it, the only issues I've had are that the Jensen stereo freaked out, the oven had some extra insulation blocking the vent, and some of the cabinet frames had the hinge screws back out. I got all fixed under warranty. I've put about 40 nights and 5000 miles on the trailer.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #5

Also consider the dealers , which one will help YOU .
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsfloyd View Post
Also consider the dealers , which one will help YOU .
Definitely. My stereo/DVD failed a month out of warranty... Jensen and my dealer worked together to fix it at no cost to me.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #7

I bought a Forrest river Prime Time Tracer and like u did a lot of comparing. I found the keystone to be a little less sturdy. If u push some of the outer panels the ones on the keystone seemed a little flimsy... The Tracer appears more solid. I guess u should go for what u feel suits u best... Good luck
Englishman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
I have a Forest River 2010 sp 275 surveyor. The fresh water tank is placed above the axle. Check to make sure there is enough clearance between the tank and axle. My tank sagged a bit, and the axle, when we hit a bumb in the road, comes up far enough to hit the tank. [Forest River is sending my dealer some parts to fix this issue.]
sorry to sideline the OP but would you mind letting me know how they go about fixing it? my puma (made by palomino, owned by forest river) has the same issue but i am long out of warranty so i would need to fix it myself

2015 Open Range 288flr
hawk232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #9

Hawk.. They supplied my dealer with larger shackles, which they called "dog bones". This raises the floor a few inches, gives, more space between the tank and the axle.
Also, a strap could be put in place to hold the tank, preventing sagging.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
I was in a choice between the same brands about a year ago. My Surveyor SV-264 won out with more and bigger aluminum in the framing, and 2" thick foam, along with a lower center of gravity and torsion-spring axles. The bigger TV and a poor dealer relation in Amarillo helped with my decision... In fact, he WOULDN'T "beat any deal, anywhere"... My only problem of any kind was the skylight recall issue. It was almost no problem at all compared to some other RVers I know...

Whatever you decide... ENJOY!!!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote