Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #1

Question Kids in the truck back seat - cross country

About to embark on a cross country trek with our 8 & 9 year old grand daughters. Really looking forward to the adventure with them. But concerned that they will become bored or uncomfortable sitting in the smallish not very cushioned back set of my 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab.

Wondering what other people do to keep the kids in the back seat comfortable and happy on those 4-8 hour towing days. Padded booster seats? Ipods? Games? Frequent stops.

Id welcome any and all suggestions to make our trip less stressful, and more fun.

Thanks,
Joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
3 words: portable DVD player.

Our nieces (7 & 9) both have their own Nintendo DS's. Between those & books, they're covered for entertainment. Snacks, juice boxes/water bottles & stopping to stretch at rest stops makes for happy travellers.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
CD

Give them an atlas so they can follow where you are going. Have them watch for mile markers that they can find on the map.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:29 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Electronic gadgets work best for my boys. My daughter likes to read... or to talk about everything she sees along the way.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #5

Guess Duck Tape and Bailing wire is out of the question. If they are into stories... books on tape, or CD have always been a "Mind Occupier" on our trips, plus with a book on tape they wont miss whats passing them by.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:00 AM   #6

You gotta provide whatever they like to do. If it movies/tv, then a DVD player is needed, they can bring there favorite shows and you can buy another to keep something new for them. If they like the portable video games, have them bring them along and somewhere along the trip you going to by them a new game of there choice.

You need to make sure you have power points to plug all this stuff into to keep them powered up. Nothing is worse than batteries dieing and mad kids!
gearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:43 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
The boys are older now and have more flexibility in the MH but they saw a lot of miles through the backseat of a 1989 extended cab pickup in our pre-MH days. We were never big fans of electronics when they were young (we've lost that battle now) but here's a couple of suggestions that worked:
- car seats that are high enough so they can see out of the window.
- never, ever budge on letting them be unbuckled when you are moving
- license plate game - keep a list of every state you see
- get them involved in planning and picking some of the stops. Plot it on their own map and let them follow along
- allow them to move up to the front seat for a hour of 'navigator'.
- get two of everything. 'Sharing' is not a concept that is easily enforced while doing 65mph+
- drive at night if possible while they are sleeping.
- Special 'vacation' foods, small toys, or clothing that they can't wear until you leave
- National Park rule - when we are in a national park, books closed and everything is off. There's too much to see outside the truck.
- let them pick the radio station. Your ears will hurt either way. They will complain about your music or you have to listen to theirs...
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #8

I would also vote for the strap to the headrest type dvd player, and tons of movies. A portable playstation (actually 2 if you want to keep the peace) would also help.

If you have the power seats option, I'm pretty tall but I find if I have to have someone in the back seat I can get comfortable by moving the seat up and forward, and the pedals down, and leave more room for the back passenger.

At least Dodge is finally coming out with more of a crew cab that can be had with a long box (assuming they don't fold before they hit the dealers).
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #9

With our boys it's the DVD player and a few toys all the way. We would let them have a DS if they were older. Right now only 3 and 5.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
maybe its amazing all of us 'oldies' were able to travel so far as we did as kids then ehhh?

... no safety belts, me sleeping on the car's back window ledge with sister stretched out on seat and brother on the floor, box of licorice to calm us tykes down when awake, and when awake we'd be kneeling on the bouncing car seat with our heads out the window making faces at the truckers, and only super rarely would Pops let us ride a mile or so in the trunk for kicks

... although maybe these days that DVD/movie idea is really a lot smarter i guess
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #11

I guess my age is showing here. I know what a cd, dvd, ect are and even a nintendo, but what is a DS? Thanks
cmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
DS - one of the Nintendo handheld games.

Experience a new world of interactive fun with Nintendo DSi. Sight, sound, and downloadable software all come together in the newest version of the world’s best-selling portable game system. Touch control and dual-screens bring you unique software—enjoy hundreds of already existing Nintendo DS titles already available, as well as downloadable DSiWare games and applications. Share the fun with friends, and personalize your experience like never before.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmass View Post
I guess my age is showing here. I know what a cd, dvd, ect are and even a nintendo, but what is a DS? Thanks

A Handheld Nintendo game system. Dual screens, one of them being a touch screen. Wifi capable. Something that kids must have, along with sonys PSP, which is sonys handheld game system with only one screen, wifi capable.
My kids have just about out grown the hand held units, but still into the the Wii and PS3.
For riding in the car/truck a DVD is a must still, if I can get wife to drive, even I enjoy a movie, of course this is while traveling after dark and nothing to look at going down the road anyways!
gearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:58 AM   #14

I agree with all the bunch here.. just to emphasize on food!! lots of em. enjoy!
jbracefan197 is offline   Reply With Quote