Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #1

Calling on the vast knowledge of the experinced experts here.

I have to replace the king pin box on my new to me fixer upper TT from a goosneck that is missing a latch to king pin since I dont have a goosneck hitch in my truck...

here is what it has now..

Dont ask me what that string is there for, it was on it when I had it pulled home and havent taken hte time to cut it off, that is the least f my worries at the moment.

I would like to find an extended pin box for short bed truck. So far all I can find online are adapters. So before I go to the trailer dealer and look like an idiot (which I should be use to looking like an idiot by now) but if anyone could tell me if they even make an extended pin box that is a direct bolt on to that trailer. Then that would be great!

I really hope I dont have to buy a standard pin box then buy an extension adapter.....
Worst case scenario I buy some plate steel and weld one up.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #2

Calling on the vast knowledge of the experinced experts here.

I have to replace the king pin box on my new to me fixer upper TT from a goosneck that is missing a latch to king pin since I dont have a goosneck hitch in my truck...

here is what it has now..

Dont ask me what that string is there for, it was on it when I had it pulled home and havent taken hte time to cut it off, that is the least f my worries at the moment.

I would like to find an extended pin box for short bed truck. So far all I can find online are adapters. So before I go to the trailer dealer and look like an idiot (which I should be use to looking like an idiot by now) but if anyone could tell me if they even make an extended pin box that is a direct bolt on to that trailer. Then that would be great!

I really hope I dont have to buy a standard pin box then buy an extension adapter.....
Worst case scenario I buy some plate steel and weld one up.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:48 PM   #3

You should look on the frame of the hitch and see if there is a name and number somewhere. Call your local rv dealer and ask if they have an extended pin for your box. That is a very common request. If you can not get a name and number you will need to take measurements of the inside and hole location and do a little talking.

JMHO

David
Toterman (David) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:56 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
You might be able to find someone who has converted to a Trail-Air or Demco pin box and get a used one cheap. Look at the Excel forums, there was a thread over there running a few weeks ago about some of those guys switching theirs to a Demco.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:24 AM   #5

Cant find any numbers stamped on it, took measurments and called around this morning. Closest I came was one suggested I take it off and bring it to them and try to match it up. They couldn't belive that it was only 4 bolts that hold it in.

Where are the Excel forums?
Old 03-17-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Where are the Excel forums? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matt,

They're in the Owner's Corner section. Or, click here for a link to them.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:42 PM   #7

Found them, thanks.

I'm still learning the sections here.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #8

Curiosity prompts me to ask. How did someone tow it to your house without the latch? Like the guys said, there are many guys with standard/extended pin boxes cluttering their garage after upgrading to a better pin box. I suspect some RV service departments have some lying around too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #9

I knew someone would ask....
Well lets just say we didnt go over 35 mph the entire way.....

When we got there and I seen the seller hadnt lived up to his end of the deal, he had not left us a pin box... I gave the tow truck driver (owner/operator) the option. Told him I didnt blame him if he didnt want to pull it, but I was fine with taking it if he was. I've pulled worse, but not that far and I wouldn't loose my business if something went wrong, he would have.

His Logic; he and I figured almost 1000 lbs of tongue weight so wasn't likely to pop off as long as we didnt dukes of hazard it over the hills. I slid a tire tool behind the ball but I don't think it was really doing anything, other than made us feel some better.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:56 PM   #10

Coastal Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PSS-Mag:
Cant find any numbers stamped on it, took measurments and called around this morning. Closest I came was one suggested I take it off and bring it to them and try to match it up. They couldn't belive that it was only 4 bolts that hold it in.

Where are the Excel forums? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had a 97 Prowler 5er with four bolts holding the pin box on...
Old 04-03-2007, 04:05 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How did someone tow it to your house without the latch? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was what the string was for, to hold it down
Old 04-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #12

Old 04-04-2007, 08:37 AM   #13

I am not sure what kind of money you want to put into this but I changed out my pin box for a MorRyde box (You can see my post here). I called MorRyde and they took my info and a week later I had a great pin box that gave a great tow feel. You can go to the website for more info. http://www.morryde.com/ David Butler is the service manager. They are great people to work with.