Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2016, 09:21 PM   #1

Kitchen-Living Layout Preferences; New Buyer

Hello folks. So, my wife and I are looking to buy our first travel trailer. We have borrowed a motor home from a friend now a few times and we and the kids love it. We have determined those things that are requirements for us (bunks, outdoor kitchen, heated and enclosed underbelly, adequate storage, etc.). However, we are a bit stuck on which kitchen/living area layout we really think will work the best...or maybe more important, which one won't.

Basically, it's the choice of having the kitchen opposite both the dinette and the sofa, or having the dinette opposite of the kitchen and sofa. See attached pics.

Does anyone have any input based on personal experiences? We have an excellent opportunity on a 2014 Keystone Bullet 286QBS, which has been inspected and checked out "clean", but I am not sold on the interior layout (kitchen beside the sofa).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	286QBS.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	140390   Click image for larger version

Name:	287qbs.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	140391  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2016, 11:32 PM   #2

I doubt there is much difference between these 2 layouts. I would choose the one with more kitchen countertop surface and good size pantry/cabinets. Dinettes suck in both layouts, they are for 4 people only, you will probably have 5 or 6 in your quad bunk trailer. U dinnette is more substantial in my opinion but still may not sit everybody. You may want to look for floorplans with a bar in addition to dinnette.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Based on my personal experience i would select the one your wife likes.

If Momma ain't happy...nobody is happy.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Based on my personal experience i would select the one your wife likes.

If Momma ain't happy...nobody is happy.
x100
Old 10-01-2016, 05:39 AM   #5

Kitchen-Living Layout Preferences; New Buyer

We have one nearly identical the 2nd layout. It is better than the first due to the pantry. The 2nd thing is the fridge is 'in' the kitchen area not in a corner away from the micro/stove/sink.

All in all minor differences and I suspect one will catch your eye for some small feature so I agree with the above. Let the boss lady decide (assuming all other things like air conditioner size, cost, warranty, condition are equal).
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:53 AM   #6

Those are very similar, they just swapped the kitchen and dinette. That being said I'd much rather slide out the dinette than the kitchen. Just has to be less complication in design and function therefore less possibilities for future problems.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
Those are very similar, they just swapped the kitchen and dinette. That being said I'd much rather slide out the dinette than the kitchen. Just has to be less complication in design and function therefore less possibilities for future problems.
X2
Several people on here have had problems with plumbing with kitchen slides.
If it's an amazing deal I might risk the kitchen slide, but if there's not much of a price difference than I'd stay away.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
...I'd much rather slide out the dinette than the kitchen. Just has to be less complication in design and function therefore less possibilities for future problems.

I totally missed that detail. You are absolutely right. Another very important to avoid the first layout.

bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new buyer