Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #1

Kodiak 242RESL

Hello all,
Prospective new owner here, so i appreciate any input. I am looking at a used 2012 Kodiak 242RESL. I see in some places they list it as sleeping 4, but I'm not sure how that is pulled off. Only has one bed, and the L-shaped couch/dining area does not fold out into a bed. Any ideas?
Also, does anyone know if this unit has a heated underbelly, I crawled under the trailer and it is enclosed, but doesn't look very substantial.

The dealer is supposed to replace at least one axle. It looked to be like the left rear tire was severely worn on the inside like there was a camber issue. I'm not sure if it was overloaded or if the previous owner hit something.

Any tips/pointers, advice on this unit would be appreciated. If i'm going to get it, i have to pull the trigger this week.
Thanks everyone!!
jacksdad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2014, 03:12 AM   #2

It's a nice camper, but I'm pretty sure it only sleeps two.

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksdad53 View Post
Hello all,
Prospective new owner here, so i appreciate any input. I am looking at a used 2012 Kodiak 242RESL. I see in some places they list it as sleeping 4, but I'm not sure how that is pulled off. Only has one bed, and the L-shaped couch/dining area does not fold out into a bed. Any ideas?
Also, does anyone know if this unit has a heated underbelly, I crawled under the trailer and it is enclosed, but doesn't look very substantial.

The dealer is supposed to replace at least one axle. It looked to be like the left rear tire was severely worn on the inside like there was a camber issue. I'm not sure if it was overloaded or if the previous owner hit something.

Any tips/pointers, advice on this unit would be appreciated. If i'm going to get it, i have to pull the trigger this week.
Thanks everyone!!
We have a 2013 Kodiak 242RESL. The under belly is supposed to be heated on all of the units of this model I was told. You may have to check with Dutchman to be sure. The L shaped couch works as a bed if you have the collapsible table that comes with it. When the table is folded down and the cushions are removed there is a inflatable mattress that can be used for your 2nd bed. Nice lil trailer with some extra usable kitchen area that we really like. Lots of glass in the living area so it is nice and bright and cheerful. Good luck and hope you enjoy it...
Stan827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #4

Thank you. I'll have to work the dealer a little as the table is missing and I'm sure the inflatable is fine as well. Previous owner pot a full size queen in the bedroom so there is no room to walk around the bed. I'm sure it's a much nicer mattress but this might not fly with the wide and i.
Since you have this model, any issues or tips you have??
Thanks again!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksdad53 View Post
... this might not fly with the wide and i.
D'OH!!!!

See if the dealer will give you the OE mattress + table and enjoy.
As far as the heated underbelly, if it's enclosed and has heat ducted through the floor for the interior, I imagine that'll work. But you have to use the furnace and propane. No electric space heater.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:21 AM   #6

Appreciate the input.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #7

So far we have only used it a couple times and have not run into any issues other than the usual light bulb or tightening a screw here or there. Traveling West from Illinois soon and will see how it holds up after a couple of weeks on the road. Good luck with your purchase and hope you get the collapsible table from the dealer.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I see in some places they list it as sleeping 4, but I'm not sure how that is pulled off. Only has one bed, and the L-shaped couch/dining area does not fold out into a bed. Any ideas?
On this it says the table in the down position is the bed. You move the cushions over and it makes a big bed. Not sure what the weight limit is for the table. During the 2012 model (Dutchman) did a major exterior color change. For the Aerolite's (same trailers) the change-over was in Sept. of 2011 for the 2012 model year trailers. They went from a all white exterior / white trim to a tan exterior and frameless windows and black trim. The one your looking at is it white or tan?

I remember 2012 because the Kodiak brochures, some showed an all white trailer, and later in the year the newer brochure it was the more modern looking exterior colors and the updated frameless windows. The frameless windows give it a sexy look..

We have a 2013 Aerolite with the gray exterior, black trim and the frameless windows.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:57 PM   #9

I have a 2013 and it is tan. We really like it. The cushions arrange on the table to give a close to full size bed.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:28 AM   #10

The unit I'm looking at is the white, and looks just like the video. I agree the tan would look better, but for a first trailer this should work well. My guess is most of the time it will just be my wife and the dogs. I'm hoping the ac works well because there will be times we leave the dogs while we explore or eat where did are not allowed.
I really appreciate the input.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #11

Well i did it

Thanks to everyone and the great input. After much wringing of the hands, I purchased the used Kodiak today! The price I was able to get and the extra features of the unit seemed to work. Both my wife and i like the floor plan so that was a big plus.
The previous owners had replaced the bed with a full queen sleep innovations mattress that is almost as nice as our Tempurpedic at home. There are a couple small issues that already popped up. The most annoying is the battery that was supposed to have been checked doesn't hold a charge. It was on shore power at thedealer when I did the walk through. I asked about the battery several times and of course it was good. By the time I drove home about 1.5 hrs, it barely had power to open the slide. The indicator read E. I had to hook it up to the house to close the slide and use the power tongue to unhitch the truck. I guess the dealer will get a call tomorrow.
Thanks again for the input.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #12

Well good luck and happy camping. We are heading out with our Kodiak to Colorado in a month for a couple of weeks of R&R------