Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #1

Ladder

I have a Canadian built Travel Trailer. It is a 28' 1999 PEAK Frontier built in North Battleford Saskatchewan. I want to install a rear ladder for access to the roof for cleaning off the slide, washing the solar panels, etc. All the similar models I have seen with a ladder have it on the right rear. I have a roof vent in that corner for the top bunk. What I am trying to find out is if I can install one on the left side. Is there even any bracing behind the metal skin to mount a ladder? Like most Canadian RV manufacturers Peak is no longer in business. Any Canadians got an answer? TIA Shadrach
Shadrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't answer your question but

See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #3

Sorry I can't help , other than to say , some times a good stud finder on the inside wall and a lot of measuring inside to out may give a location of something solid.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #4

Of course you can install a ladder on the left side. The real question is whether it will stay on or not. Seriously though, you will have to find something in the wall to secure it to. Are the framing in the walls wood or aluminum?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #5

They are wooden walls covered with metal siding. Shad
Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrach View Post
They are wooden walls covered with metal siding. Shad
The walls are more than likely a thin plywood called "Luan" on the outside and inside with foam in the middle. Then an exterior siding like aluminum or fiberglass. In between the luan there will also be framing which is 1" x 1" strips of wood or square tube aluminum. You need to try and locate the framing and anchor into that or at least as many fasteners as possible.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #7

My dealer was able to let me know about getting a ladder on the rear of my TT. Unfortunately my unit is not built to support one, as like you I wanted to add one as well. It didn't take them very long to figure it out...I recommend putting that back on them - all they'll do is reference manufacture recommendations and/or contact them for you.
Benji343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #8

No Luck with my Wildwood either..

I also wanted to install a ladder on the back on my 2010 Wildwood TT.. I contacted the factory about getting a diagram of where the framing backing was installed to facilitate the ladder installation.. I was told by Forest River (mfg), that if the trailer didn't come with a ladder installed, then the proper backing / framing supports were not also installed and not to try to put a ladder on the unit.. for what it is worth...
Phoenixwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #9

Shad, rather than take the chances, get an xtend n climb. Then it can be used for other things. It telescopes down to a small package. Just google it.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
Shad, rather than take the chances, get an xtend n climb. Then it can be used for other things. It telescopes down to a small package. Just google it.
Best way to go, I ordered Ike through Amazon, paid 149.00, make sure you look at the detailed specifications some extend ladders do not have the slow retraction ( so you don't pinch you hand or fingers.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #11

Since the manufacturer is no longer in business I can't ask them. I already have 2 ladders at home but the Extenda version does make sense. Thanks Shad
Old 05-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Here is a link to a fellow RVrs blog that has the Extend-a-climb. I too have one and it fits the bill nicely.

Hula Hut RV Mods and Changes: Roof Climbing?