Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
Ladder question

We just recently purchased a keystone hideout 26rls. We have decided to add a latter to the rear for access to the roof, however the manufacturer says a ladder is not recommended for this model.

Wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and what is recommended to over come it to clean roof and slide out before closing the unit up.

Joe & Val
2012 Dodge 1500 4x4 5.7
Keystone Hideout 26RLS
TopV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #2
I have a 12 foot xtend and climb ladder. It's the only ladder I carry.

Shawn M.
2011 Fleetwood Expedition
2014 Chevy Traverse
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
Many trailers have no real support in the walls for a ladder. I use a folding ladder.
lynnmor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
You do need to hit the studs on every ladder stand off and on the roof in order to have it handle the load.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
My ladder seems like it would not handle heavy 250 lb person trying to climb it. At 180lbs I climb a 8' step ladder then step on to trailer ladder.

I just don't trust the manufacturer to have placed all the ladder supports over solid support areas on the back cap.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
Forest River Owners Club
I think my units ladder says it would handle 300lbs..... I dont trust it but have used it at times.

I take a step ladder ,squeegee and a telescoping pole to wipe off the slides. works great to get water/ depree off slide before closing
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 CHEVY 2500HD Silverado Z71
2015 25 trips 73 nights
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will add one more thing.. Though RV ladders may be rated to hold a fair amount of weight, The mounts, NOT SO STRONG.. I mean I was seriously scared by the Factory ladder on my rig... The solution was to cut and remove the ladder, seal the holes that remained, and put up a couple of heavy aluminum "J" hooks, these J shaped hooks are made from the same material used to make the Diamond Plate pick up truck bumpers.. They are attached with lag screws 3 of which hit studs, and one Molly in heavy fiberglass..

I tossed a rope and made a stirrup to step in and put my full 300 pounds plus on each of them for testing. . They did not give in the slightest.

I have a convertable ladder I got from my dad when he died.. This is either a step ladder or an extension ladder. It is I think 14 feet extended. Long enough that the 3rd rung from the top is at or above the roof line...

Easier to climb (Slanted instead of vertical)

Stronger (holds my 300+ easily, along with tools, parts and such)

and useful in other ways (As a step ladder when I wash and wax).

All in all a very good ladder.

There are several folding ladders designed to stow in the storage bays that are every bit as strong,, i'd recommend any of them, you need to measure your roof height and add a mininum of FOUR feet to it though.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
Bought a 16 ft telescoping ladder frm Lowes. 200 & holds 280 lbs it's 3ft tall when folded
rewindguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
I have a xtend & climb 12' type 2, it is plenty tall and sturdy for my portly 210 self. I use it frequently in lieu of the factory ladder. I had the 15' type 1 and decided it was too heavy and too hard to collapse for rv use.
2016 3500 6.7L DRW
2010 Starcraft 329BHU TT
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
right now I am carrying a 6 ft fiberglass step ladder in pickup bed, it allows me to reach slide out top to clean is before we close it, BUT I will either get a folding ladder OR put a rack over pickup bed because the step ladder is a storage prob in the pickup bed
15 Vegas with a red toad
tooltrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sometimes manufactures do not add a ladder because the roof will not support a person so if your intent is to get on the roof, verify that it will hold a person. If you just want to get above roof level, it's best to carry some type of ladder.
2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40x
2002 Jeep Liberty
jrgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #12
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have a multi-ladder. We will probably just have it in the back of the pickup this summer when we are traveling. My goal eventually is to put a carry rack on the back of the TT to haul stuff like the ladder.

But, yeah, as others said, some trailers aren't built to hold someone on the roof, although most are able to as long as you only step where the "beams" are. Most manuals will tell you if the trailer can support someone on the roof or not.
1992 Dutchmen 30FK
2 adults who don't know they are adults, 3 furry feline children
SyrenSkywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #13
Jayco Owners Club
Mine came standard with the walk-on roof. I'm at 235 and it flexes very little with me on it.

Jack and Dee Dee Weatherford, Texas
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/CTD 6.7
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH Travel Trailer
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote