RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #1

Lance 1985

ive never owned or had much experience with travel trailers, but am considering an early retirement and have kind of fallen in love with the idea of full time living in a TT.

after numerous searches online i came across this particular brand and model and was impressed with the videos ive viewed.

the problem is the price. i would like to purchase new, and equipped the way i would order one would probably push the final price north of 40 grand, which is significantly higher than others with similar lengths and floorplans. im limited somewhat by the 6000 lb tow max of my truck, but it would just be me and this one would offer more than enough space. can anyone recommend another brand with features similar to the ones this TT has? or if anyone owns this TT, your opinion on its quality would be appreciated. thanks

https://youtu.be/njiKgTtaXhw

TrailerNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quality, price, and weight: pick two. Lance is what you get when you pick quality and weight. ORV/Northwoods is what you get when you pick quality and price. And then there’s to other guys...

Old 11-03-2019, 05:12 PM   #3

I would get a slightly larger trailer. One with a couch or easy chairs and queen walk around perminent bed. That trailer is kind of sparse.

Where are you going to spend winters? South Arizona, South Texas, or Florida? It gets cold at night in all these winter spots. Cold is into the 30's at night

What is your tow vehicle?

S. Arizona has BLM land which is by far less expensive than Florida or Texas RV Parks. It is also not as nice. Lot and lots of sandy dirt and shades of browns. But even at that I thought about full time and Arizona is a great state because of elevation. Spend Sumner's in North Arizona and winters in South Arizona.

There are a lot of different trailers. I kinda like Flagstaff/Rockwood.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #4

Quality Travel Trailer Brands

Best value/quality brand
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #5

We have owned a Lance 1995 for over two years. No issues thus far after a good amount of use. Some of that on rough back roads.
They donít skimp on any of their materials, itís insulated with 100% rigid foam board, it has wood inserts in aluminum framing, 2 layers of Azdel in the walls. Everything is cut by CNC machine. PVC roof with 90% solar reflectivity. I could go on with the extra steps they take, like sealing the wall cavity before windows are put into place.
Yes they do cost more, but they also really hold their value.
You wonít find many owners on here as they have their own forum. Most owners on there report between 22% and 25% off MSRP.
The only thing is your tow vehicle, that 1985 has a GVWR of 5,700 lbs, and at least requires a full size truck or SUV. With you being at 6k that sounds like a mid size.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:47 PM   #6

I have friends who owned a 1985; they sold it. Their major complaint was there was no comfortable place to sit during rainy days. They are taller and put in a full queen mattress which blocked half the doorway. Maybe the sofa-bed would be a good option and address those issues. They looked into replacing the dinette with better seating but it was on a raised platform due to the wheels.

They towed theirs with a mid-sized truck with a V6 and had no complaints. They liked the large bathroom for such a small trailer. It was easy to sell and fetched a good price.

The largest Lance with the front couch and king bed is pretty nice.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #7

The 1985 has used a full size 60X80 queen mattress as far back as I can remember. Itís also very tongue heavy with weights around 850 plus lbs. You can help that somewhat with strategic loading, but no way would I tow it with a V6 mid size.
Starting with 2017.5 models they have heavier BAL frames with a squared bumper. With many other changes that really pushed up the weight.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #8

Selecting a Tow Vehicle (TV)

Selecting a Tow Vehicle (TV)
I am not sure you are interested in this issue. I am responding to your reference to 6000 # max tow weight. Weather you are selecting a tow vehicle for a TT or are selecting a TT for a tow vehicle the issues are the same.
A vehicle manufacturer may specify a max tow weight. In your case 6000#. It is indeed a max, but it is only valid under certain conditions. You are not likely to meet those conditions. For ever 100# you put in your truck, you decrease towing capacity by 1000# to 1500#. See the following links for how to calculate towing capacity.
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/new-to-rving-need-advice-please-459774.html#post4939624
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/question-i-am-new-to-this-rving-462519.html#post4968977
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
We have owned a Lance 1995 for over two years. No issues thus far after a good amount of use. Some of that on rough back roads.
They donít skimp on any of their materials, itís insulated with 100% rigid foam board, it has wood inserts in aluminum framing, 2 layers of Azdel in the walls. Everything is cut by CNC machine. PVC roof with 90% solar reflectivity. I could go on with the extra steps they take, like sealing the wall cavity before windows are put into place.
Yes they do cost more, but they also really hold their value.
You wonít find many owners on here as they have their own forum. Most owners on there report between 22% and 25% off MSRP.
The only thing is your tow vehicle, that 1985 has a GVWR of 5,700 lbs, and at least requires a full size truck or SUV. With you being at 6k that sounds like a mid size.
its a 2013 ford raptor supercab. the raptors have less towing capacity due to their soft suspension. i believe the crewcab is a bit higher at 8k. yes, mine is a full sized truck

TrailerNewb is offline   Reply With Quote