Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2019, 01:20 PM   #1

Lance and Arctic Fox

Lance and Arctic Fox are economically unfeasible. Even the used ones are unaffordble around here and I'm not willing to get something more than a few years old. Are there any brands that approach them in quality but are more reasonably priced?
paulag1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #2

A price range of what you can afford would be very helpful, and your opinion on what may be too old.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:40 PM   #3

I would feel pretty sad if I had to pay more than $20,000 for a used trailer and too old would be more than five years old. And even then I'd feel like I had to rip out anything with upholstery on it and replace it.

I might be more flexible for a new trailer if we could find a dealer that would take our boat in trade. So the answer is I'm not sure how much I'd be willing to pay out of pocket for a new trailer, but I know for sure it's less than the $55k that the local Lance dealer quoted us for a Lance 2465. Which is more than I paid for my first house. I don't want to have to finance it. I know that's probably not very helpful.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:45 PM   #4

The few owners that I know of that had made a new purchase of the 2465 all paid in the mid 40’s.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:56 AM   #5

You should add ORV (Outdoor RV) to your list as that will show you more trailers in the used market.

Artic Fox, ORV and Lance are the best.
Lance is half ton truck towable. Artic Fox and ORV not so much.

But IMHO the next best is Grand Desgin and Winnebago. These trailers are in the mid to low 30's depending on size. They can be ordered with dual pane windows is the big thing.

Look at the Winnebago Mini Plus 27RBDS as it is about the same size as the big Lance 2465.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:11 AM   #6

I agree with above advice, Lance is better, but in travel trailers Grand Design has some good floorplans. My advice to anyone shopping GD is to definitely buy used. Here in FL the new GDs are running about 15-20% more than other brands. In the used market they are priced pretty much identical to most comparable Thor and Forest River products. So the only downside I see to the grand design is more depreciation up front. The GD is built the same as the other brands so weight and build quality are similar. The Lance is constructed completely different so not apples to apples-but we all have to stay in a budget.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:25 AM   #7

In their day, these were about the best traditional travel trailer you could get.

Aluminum superstructure, hardwood cabinets w/residential hinges, high end electronics, porcelain and metal plumbing fixtures, top of the line gelcoat fiberglass exterior, heavy-duty frame, Mor-Ride Suspension, and hey, here's one in your backyard that looks promising!
https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/r...911686507.html

Seems pricey, but when you compare it to other premium brands, it's a bargain. A little update on interior fabrics, and your good to go. After successful inspection, I'd easily pay this price for a 2007 Sunnybrook, long before I got anywhere near a new Indiana conglomerate brand made today for the same price range.

This is the company Winnebago bought out after the recession to get into the travel trailer business. I would argue they left some of the best quality features behind however.
https://winnebagoind.com/resources/b...n-brochure.pdf

I guess you know the old saw about the two best days of boat ownership...(the day you buy it and the day you sell it). Good Luck!

Edit: consider Nash as well, Built by Northwood (Artic Fox, etc.), similar quality features, but built with wood superstructure, and traditional insulation but still a very good trailer and value. One like this will have all the features a new one has, just dated interior colors.
https://yakima.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...920533944.html
The money you save, buys lots of repairs, more travel, even re-upholstery. I guess I missed the "5 years old is too old part", but my recommendation stands, and kudos to paying cash for your purchase.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:44 AM   #8

Be careful looking at used Grand Designed Imagines. Up until a year or so ago many were having issues with undersized axles. Axles were bending and in some cases the tires were rubbing on the underside of the TT.
Payload ratings were also very very low from the undersized axles. GD has since remedied the issue.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:19 AM   #9

The Seattle area is just very expensive for everything. Mid-40s is still a lot, though.

(Sorry, this response was meant for bneukam. Still getting used to the how the forum functions.)
Old 06-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
You should add ORV (Outdoor RV) to your list as that will show you more trailers in the used market.

Artic Fox, ORV and Lance are the best.
Lance is half ton truck towable. Artic Fox and ORV not so much.

But IMHO the next best is Grand Desgin and Winnebago. These trailers are in the mid to low 30's depending on size. They can be ordered with dual pane windows is the big thing.

Look at the Winnebago Mini Plus 27RBDS as it is about the same size as the big Lance 2465.
We already have a Ford F350, so getting something that's half ton towable isn't an issue for us. Thank you for the ORV recommendation. I had seen them mentioned somewhere else, but had forgotten about them.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
The Seattle area is just very expensive for everything. Mid-40s is still a lot, though.

(Sorry, this response was meant for bneukam. Still getting used to the how the forum functions.)

I agree with you completely. But they do put more expensive materials in their trailer. They last and have the best resale except for maybe Airstreams in the long run.

Northwood, and ORV are very good choices. My only issue with them is the heavily used batten insulation. Other than that very well built. With the HD truck at least you have no issues with towing one.

All new trailers will come with issues that you may have to work through. No matter the brand inspect everything. Check all systems, if the repair list gets too long, or too extensive be prepared to walk away.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here is a 2015 Blackstone, their highest trim level, for $25,000. It says 2004 but in the description it says 2015. ORV was not a company in 2004 so that is just a typo. Of course you will have to drive to Redmond Oregon but the price is right.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...KSB-5004837385
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #13

11 years ago when I was a tent camper and was getting ready to buy my 1st travel trailer is saw a list of trailers with the least issues. SunnyBrook was the trailer with the fewest issues. Because they built a very good product Winnebago bought them. This also allowed Winnebago to get into travel trailers.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:55 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Depends on what size and amenities you are looking for.. We just bought a used ORV that we are very pleased with.