Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
LCD TV ok to leave in the winter??

Recently purchased 2008 Hornet TT from private seller in upstate NY - everything in TT like new! My concern is that the flat screen tv has been in the TT thus far thru winter. It is a LC-20SH7U LCD Color TV. Is it ok to leave in TT thru the winter? I went out today thinking I should take it out but it is connected to a swivel wall between bedroom & living area and couldn't figure out the removal. I am hoping the extreme cold temps wont hurt it! appreicate your thoughts!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #2

Living in Alaska we leave our TV monitors in our m/h or 5th wheel at all times. Last week it got -30F and we see temps down below -40F each winter. It's a non issue BUT we always allow the TVs to warm up to like 50F before ever plugging them in OR turning them on.
Have had Navigation systems in autos for years also non issue. I have noticed the screens don't 'refresh' very quick when super cold. But by the time they are even close to 'warming up to' -20F they act 'normal'.
Back-to-Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #3

my thoughts... Better safe then sorry.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #4

We leave our flat screens in our TT all year round (Winnipeg, MB, Canada) and have no problem with them in the spring. Take into consideration that when flat screens are shipped that they are loaded into unheated containers or trucks. All manufacturers state in their manuals to allow them to warm up to room temp before powering up after being in the cold.

So imho sub zero temps will have no ill effects as long as you allow it to warm up.
WpgCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #5

I live in Syracuse and have an LCD in the garage all winter, never had a problem, it will be just fine.
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We upgraded our TVs a last year. We were advised that a plasma tv does not like the cold. We purchased LCD/LED TVs. They seem to have survived our winter temperatures quite well. Of course, at -30, we don't turn on the TV.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks so much for the reinsurance!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #8

Never had a problem with ours
derald1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:56 AM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
The TVs can handle the cold. The problem with leaving a TV in an RV over the winter is, unless the RV is where you can keep an eye on it, thieves may walk off with it.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #10

I have heard that LCD and LED tv's are just fine in the cold. I take mine out, but that is not due to the cold I am more concerned about moisture. I am sure it would probably be fine, but I figure better to bring it home and have a spare tv for the winter than leave it in since it is in storage, and no since leaving something like that to invite a thief. Everything else we leave in it is pretty much tacked down, the tv would be the main thing a thief would want, so we take it out.
JadedDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #11

Hoosier 5ver, we are looking at buying a LG 26lv2500-- 26 inch LED. We have had a 26 inch Westinghouse LCD for the last 4 yrs. it has survived ok but has always had poor blacks. We heat our 5 ver to about 40 degrees all winter here in central Indiana. Are LED s as durable as LCD. LG on their website is coy about answering if it's suitable for rv use, they say to check the owners manual. Can anyone offer some advice on the relative durability of LED tv's. Gibbs.
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:28 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I keep heat in ours all year so it's not a problem. If you're worried check with the manufacturer of the TV and see what they say for storage.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs
Hoosier 5ver, we are looking at buying a LG 26lv2500-- 26 inch LED. We have had a 26 inch Westinghouse LCD for the last 4 yrs. it has survived ok but has always had poor blacks. We heat our 5 ver to about 40 degrees all winter here in central Indiana. Are LED s as durable as LCD. LG on their website is coy about answering if it's suitable for rv use, they say to check the owners manual. Can anyone offer some advice on the relative durability of LED tv's. Gibbs.
LEDs are just LCDs. The only difference is how they are backlighted. The LEDs are of course lit with LED lights rather than conventional lighting. This makes for a much lighter (weight) TV and uses much less power and produces less heat. Personally, I wouldn't use anything else.
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There shouldn't be any reason to take the tv out for the winter. Ours were in the entire winter last year and we don't have any problem with them. We had no heat on when the coach was in storage.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote