Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
Leak from slide

This morning we had quite a downpour. It really rained hard. I just went our to the TT and found the dinette table covered with water. The cushions were wet. I took them all out and the rug in the storage areas under the dinette seats was also wet. DH went up on the roof to inspect the slide. We suspected a problem with the seal on the slide but to our surprise, it all looked good. We can't find any problems. Is it possible that there was just so much rainwater sitting on the slide that it somehow just leaked in? You can't fix a problem if you don't know what's wrong. Has this happened to anyone else.

One more question about repairing the damage. I took the cushions back home, took the seatcovers off and I'm air drying everything. I used a hairdryer on the carpet to begin drying it out, set the heat in the TT high and I'm putting a fan in blow air onto the carpet. Any other ideas? Should I expect a mold problem and if so, is there anything I can do to prevent the problem before it occurs? I welcome any ideas. Thanks.

mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like the slide was extended? The slide topper could have collected water and if you were on a slight slope dripped onto the slide roof....and in. Was there a lot of wind that could have blown the rain sideways onto the slide?

2003 Dolphin LX 6355 w/ W22 chassis; 8.1L gasser & Allison 1000
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
Thanks for your reply Scooter. I'm not sure exactly what a slide topper is. If it's an awning over the slide, we don't have one. It was quite a storm and I expect we had some fairly strong winds. The slide was extended at the time. I think the trailer is level but if you're right, it probably wouldn't have to be off too much to cause a problem. We'll look at the level tomorrow. My guess is that so much rain came down so quickly that it pooled on top. I just wasn't aware that it would leak if that happened. What you say makes a lot of sense. Thanks again.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
Leak from slide

These will deinitely help. Dometic is one company that makes them. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412872599.446712.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	76142

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
There should be a seal on top of the slide. Sometimes dirt or tree debris gets under that seal and can cause the leaks. Make sure it's clean and in good condition.
2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
One other place water can blow in from is around the window seals in the slide. I thought we had the same problem and called out an RV tech. He pulled in checked around the window seal and it had come from the factory without a good sealant from the factory. The answer was silicone the window. He told us this is quite common and to use the silicone because it lasts much longer than the rubber sealant for the roof. He charged only $25 for his 50 mile round trip.
h_hob trying harder.
h_hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
I am thinking if there was water on the table the leak has to be overhead. Even if the slide seal failed the water would run down the sides. Was the inside of the light fixture wet? May want to let a water hose rain down on it to simulate rain to see if you can spot the leak.

First though-,the wet areas, do whatever you can to get the moisture out fast (shop vac, carpet cleaner suction mode, dehumidifyer, damp rid, air conditioner, even dry rags) then get as much fan blowing on the wet areas as you can. Think mildew, smell, rotten wood, expanded/deformed plywood, etc prevention
2016 3500 6.7L DRW
2010 Starcraft 329BHU TT
bjlakatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
Today's update. We checked the level and the camper was off enough that the rain might have pooled on the slide. It's been in the same place for 2 years and must have settled in. We releveled it with it sitting almost perfect but just the slightest tip in the other direction so water will run off.

Tomorrow we are cleaning and conditioning the roof so we'll also check to make sure that we don't have any dirt, leaves, etc under the seal. I like the idea of hosing it down and looking for leaks. We'll be winterizing it in a week or two and I want to make sure everything is OK before we do that. We are planning on taking it to Florida for 2 months this winter and I don't want any surprises.

The rug is mostly dry, just a tiny bit damp in one corner but the fan is still blowing on it and the heat is running in the camper. We'll recheck tomorrow morning. Mold and mildew is one thing that scares me. I'm hoping that we have reacted quickly enough that we won't have a problem. Thanks everyone for the good ideas. I'll let you know how we make out when we hose it down.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
There are two types of slides. Those that leak when new and those that leak later.A slide topper is a must for your problem. The big down side to slide toppers is that they flap in the wind down Arizona way and that can drive you nuts at night.
I have seen quite a few owners up on ladders during a rain storm trying to stop the leak. The seals are definitely not up to the task. For those with slides on both sides you need toppers because you can't adjust level for both sides to prevent leaks.
09 harley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #10
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The rain water could have entered from around the inside slide trim. Look at inside trim along the top of your slide when it is retracted. Look behind the upper trim piece where it meets the outside roof on the slide. Install externabond tape along the entire 90 degree roof / trim line.

Many Thor campers have this problem.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 129K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, KVH R5 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #11

This is the first TT I have owned with a slide. It is 2008 wildwood 26tbss. I noticed when I had the slide out I looked inside for leaks. The water was running down the inside of the two rubber seals but not actually getting on the carpet. I am not sure if you should see this from the inside or not.

Jcompton0001 is offline   Reply With Quote

leak, slide