Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2016, 10:26 PM   #1

Leaks

Traveled this weekend and found a leak under sink in bathroom. Any suggestions on fixing this type of leak.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2016, 10:29 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What is leaking? Hot/cold water under pressure or from the drain? More info needed.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #3

I have not got down under the sink but I am sure it is coming from the pipes just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem and is there an easy fix.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Could be easy or could be hard depending on why, what and where it's leaking!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thought I had a leak in my back bathroom sink but it turned out to be the backflow (anti siphon) valve for the black tank flush.

Dealer said it is a common failure.

Replaced anti siphon valve and the problem was cured.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
I have not got down under the sink but I am sure it is coming from the pipes just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem and is there an easy fix.
The answers to your questions exactly as you have asked them, in order, is yes, and no.

Please help us, help you.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #7

Keep in mind its plumbing.... If you are handy with pvc and hand tools then you should get to that leak ASAP or face a ruined rig. Water of any type is very destructive on an rv if left unchecked.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
For an inconsistent leak on the p-trap drain in the kitchen while we were on the road we found some pipe tape (Home Depot) that solved the problem. So far this temporary fix has lasted 8 months.
The tape is white and matches the pipe and it will stay there until the problem comes back.

For a leak in the bathroom lavatory cold water line I discovered the water pressure was very high at the campground where we were (for about 2 months) and my Valtera regulator that I had set at 45 psi was not doing its job. I adjusted the spigot valve way back and the high pressure leak went away. We still had plenty of water pressure in the MH.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:39 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Need more info to help you. You need to trace the leak by running the hot and cold water and checking the pipe fittings and drain fittings. Could be coming from around the sink basin itself.
Causes of leaks: loose connections, failed seals, bad caulking, too much pressure, splashing water, failed backflow drain valves, etc.
Good luck. Like others said, needs to be fixed before damage to the trailer.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:58 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
In my case, it was the vacuum breaker for the black tank rinse. Threaded the fitting on correctly with some Teflon tape and no more leaking.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:08 PM   #11

leak in bathroom

Thanks for all the advice. I have the TT parked at home so do I have to hook up water from house and then power on hot water heater or can i just pour water down the sink, please forgive me if I am stupid but I am a rookie and just trying to learn how to do things myself. Its a new trailer with only about 500 miles on it. thanks again
Old 05-23-2016, 07:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I have the TT parked at home so do I have to hook up water from house and then power on hot water heater or can i just pour water down the sink, please forgive me if I am stupid but I am a rookie and just trying to learn how to do things myself. Its a new trailer with only about 500 miles on it. thanks again
Rookie here also but i will tell you man this forum has been my bible since i bought my trailer last month.

This weekend i discovered a leak in my 2011 springdale under the kitchen sink. Lucky i found it when I did before any amount of damage. If we didnt store rags and kitchen supplies etc in the cabinet the water damage for sure would have been worse (a few spoiled boxes of tin foil and freezer bags dont bother me quite so much lol )

I traced mine back to the coupling that connects the hot water source line to the bottom of the faucet setup. I snugged it up with a pipe wrench, maybe a half turn if that. I was up to my trailer tonight and could not recreate the leak so I may have fixed it. Next weekend i will wrap paper towels around the coupling and check periodically for signs of water. If they still leak i will add teflon tape and or replace the couplings.

Another lesson learned....I will check these connections weekly now along with the ones in the bathroom.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #13

Nearly all of my fittings on both supply and drain lines were loose. All it took was my hand to tighten up the fittings to stop the leaks.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #14

You don't need to crank the fittings down tight, like squeezing blood out of them. Most have rubber seals in them and snug enough to not leak is all they need. Too tight will damage the rubber.

For the original poster, you'll need to apply water pressure to be sure. You don't need to heat the water although it will help you tell the difference. if you thinking it might be a drain leak, then fil up the sing, add a few drops of food color, then pull the plug. if that leaks you'll see pink or whatever color you choose water.

Also, some fitting will leak if you are using direct city water pressure. make sure you use an inline water regulator before the water enters the rv.

Check out this thread for a very similar discussion.

Water leak under kitchen sink

Sample regulator

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Bras...lator/14504323

Tags
leak, leaks