Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 11:16 AM   #1

Least expensive satellite solution

Anyone have the cheapest HD satellite solution that includes the dish and monthly subscription?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #2

I'd like to know this also I have direct at home

Old 05-25-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The least expensive receiver is second-hand unit (Dish or DirecTV). Warning - Do not buy a second hand DirectTV receiver unless you can confirm it's history...DirecTV says they only lease equipment (typical but not totally factual) so a Craigslist ad could be for a box that has outstanding charges on it.

The least expensive receiver with warranty is a factory refurbished Dish ViP-211k...about $80.

The least expensive antenna is a second-hand home/apartment 1000.2 (eastern arc) or 1000.4 (western) dish - removed from a home install. Add a tripod or stationary bracket and learn to aim it manually...works good. We got one for $20.

The cheapest service packs are subscriptions on introductory deals for 2years (Dish or DirecTV).
Dish RV "Pay-As-You-Go" is full price per month but can be suspended at any time...which can be less money for some people.

Finally...for ease of use in an RV, I recommend a "refurb" Dish Tailgater - $250 and "refurb" ViP-211k - $80 (comes under full warranty). It is SO EASY to use anywhere and it is auto aiming...just plug it in and wait for signal lock. And, it can be used at a home or apartment with a clear view of the southern sky. All you have to do after buying the equipment is call Dish to set-up your account (pick your service pack).

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #4

The Dish Tailgater is about $500 with everything you need. You can do month to month (expensive) or if you have Dish at home, then it is only $7/month for the additional receiver. I personally don't buy refurbished, but those that do seem to do pretty well
Old 05-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had Dish in my RV for about 3.5 years. The monthly price started at 19.95, then climbed to 34.95 after a year. Since I only used it once a month and then it only worked about 50% of the time due to tree canopy cover, I tried to cancel it. They gave me the 19.95 price again. Six months later I tried to cancel again. They gave me a $12.00 a month plan for 1 year. It's only 40 channels but it works. After this year I will probably cancel as I am now retired and have to watch my bucks.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
For Direct TV:
Take your home receiver unit and use it during your trip. All you need to buy is a tripod and satellite antenna ($145) on Ebay, and a extra power and SWM brick. I do this all the time now. The power bricks were under $20 on Ebay as well.

For Dish: Again, take your home unit and get a used Dish Tailgater.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:12 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
DirecTV says they only lease equipment (typical but not totally factual) so a Craigslist ad could be for a box that has outstanding charges on it.
True!! Our rig came with two DirectTV HD receivers as optional equipment and a MotoSat HD dish. The build sheet shows the receivers. I called Direct and they could not find any record of the receivers from the serial numbers but the cards were brown from heat so I know they were activated and used. I also have sales declarations from CC for them. Kind of a mystery though as to why they have no record of the receivers ever having been activated.
Since we've had Direct at home I've just taken two of the SD receivers with us as allowed by Direct's TOS. The SD receivers work fine with the HD dish.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:17 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
For Direct TV:
Take your home receiver unit and use it during your trip. All you need to buy is a tripod and satellite antenna ($145) on Ebay, and a extra power and SWM brick. I do this all the time now. The power bricks were under $20 on Ebay as well.

For Dish: Again, take your home unit and get a used Dish Tailgater.

Hope this helps.
Same here, we take our home receiver. When we signed up with Direct TV, they were offering a free travel dish and tripod. When we're in Arizona for the winter, I call customer service and request a service location change so we can get the AZ local channels, then call again when we get home to Illinois. No charge ever for them switching service from Il to AZ then back again.

calico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite