Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Leaves Trailer at campground in VA

hi all.

I was just wondering if anyone does what we do. We leave our camper, a Jayco Eagle 316RKDS, at the campground, in storage. When we want to use it, we give them a call, and they put it on the site for us. I did years of traveling while towing a few different campers, but now, well, we love this campground, the owners are terrific. we've never had a problem with our unit there. to us, our camper is now our "vacation home in the poconos" without being at the poconos, of course. When I read about the problems some have with towing, things breaking because of the constant bounce, etc; I'm glad that's all behind us.

anyone else do this type of camping?

Ricky T's (aka Rick & Theresa)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been to CG's with leased spaces. Owners just leave their RV there setup year round, and come camping as they want.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:03 AM   #3

We could not do that, for one thing we have a toy hauler and like to take the ATV and go riding, and if we are not bringing the toys we don't like to go to the same place all the time, we like to mix it up a little so we don't get bored of the same old thing every time.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
We live in the woods here in Oklahoma. We take the TT to a couple of different campgrounds within an hour drive from the house. Mostly to lakes to do some fishing. I am retired and she still has five years to go before doing so. She is a school teacher and we spend the summers by the lake. the rest of the time it is parked near the home while I spruce it up for weekend trips to the fishing holes.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #5

We used to camp like that, yes. And it was great while it lasted. We stored or old TT at a place in Myrtle Beach. Whenever we got the urge we'd call and have it delivered to Myrtle Beach Travel Park (our favorite). We'd arrive, set up, and enjoy a week at the beach. As long as we went at least three time a year, it was cheaper to pay storage than to tow. Unfortunately, it is difficult, if not impossible, to do repairs, let alone regular maintenance, and our unit began to suffer for it. After about 8 years of salt air, minimum maintenance, and stop-gap repairs, it had become (for us) unusable. We ended up giving it away and bought our new one.
We're back to towing now, but with the camper set up next to the house, I can work on it whenever the spirit moves me, I can more closely monitor its material condition, and we have the ability to go places other than the one camp park.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
thanx all. so far, we're pretty rare. we go out to the camper about 5 x.s a year. it is doubtful we would use it more then that if it were home. we're not retired, and with our size family, there are alot of weekends that are busy with various things, mostly bdays and such. for ex, 1 grandchild born on the 4th of july. those holidays are hers. our is a 34 foot camper, while our driveway is large, not sure we want it there all winter. we're not near the ocean at the campground, in fact, only 15 miles or so from our house we are near the ocean. true, repairs can be tricky, but so far we've taken a good couple days when we are out there first for the season, to tend to any issues. now, with the new one, that may not be as needed as it was with the 15 yr one. we also are fortunate that one of the servicemen at the dealership we purchased from, does repairs on the side, out at this area. I miss the days of traveling, but as another poster said, for us, the cost of bringing it home, vs, storage, is pretty equal. we have a motorcycle also. when we want that with us, we tow the bike, mainly so we can load the truck with firewood.

this works for us. just wondering if there were any others out there.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #7

Along that line, I know two guys where I work that leave their fivers in Myrtle Beach. One doesn't even own a truck.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #8

There are dozens of snowbirds that pay extra just to leave their trailers on a site year round. Most do not have a TV to move the trailer. They usually spend 5 or 6 months at the RV Resort and 6 or so months up north.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #9

I couldn't stand going to the same place all the time. I got my RV so I could go see what all is out there. I'm always looking for a new place to stay, something new to see, etc.
If I was going to stay in the same place all the time I'd just get a vacation cabin. That way (hopefully) it would appreciate instead of depreciate.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Wink

KD, that's great that you still love to travel. I'm only 57. (tomorrow). I camped as a kid with my family, my father took us all up and down the east coast, and out to the Grand Canyon. As a parent myself, I've been doing this for 27 years. Even after I became a single parent, I not only continued to camp, but I bought 3 units on my own, and took my daughters out there alone. I've taken them from NH down to FL.

NOW? I'm in the NOW. I have (so far) 10 grandchildren. I work full time. and I help out with babysitting often. NOW? I can't just go out every weekend, my life is too busy for that right NOW.

we are also bikers. we love the mountains, I live near the beaches of NJ, but we love the mountains. Our camper is in the Shanendoah Valley. in order for us to buy a toy hauler, (which so far we haven't even seen one we like yet), we'd have to also buy a new truck. since that is also not possible in our NOW, we have our camper at a beautiful campground at the base of the Blue Ridge. we tow our bike to it, and spend many wonderous hours riding the roads of not only the Blue Ridge, but also thru out the Shanendoah Valley.

get bored of camping just because it's the same campground? I can't imagine that ever happening. we meet so many people at the campgrounds, and we love that area.

We must always remember in our lives, that from what camper you buy, to where you camp, to how often, to who's gonna be the next president; the choice you make, is the best choice for you. If someone else does it differently then you do, that doesn't make you right, or wrong. it makes you DIFFERENT. it also doesn't give you the opportunity to put down or disagree with someone elses choice.

this works for us, in our NOW. who knows where or what we may due even 10 yrs from NOW?

as I said previously. We own Harleys only. when we see someone in a Honda, we think, at least they're on 2 wheels.

We don't travel all over, we go visit our stationary camper, in the beautiful mountains. At least we're camping.

Tags
campground