Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #1

LED bulbs to replace my 921 bulbs

Well, here it is 2011 and I am going to the beach again for a few days. Have not had the travel trailer out since last summer at this time. Today I visited Camping World and invested in two LED bulbs that were supposed to be 921 replacements. I bought two of them, but neither of them work in the fixture. Of course they plug right in, just like the 921's, but they will not come on. Nothing wrong with the fixture as it works fin when I put the 921's back in. The packaging on the new LED's indicate they are replacements for the 921's. Anyone got any thoughts on why the LED's will not light up?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Did you try reversing them in the socket? Some LEDs are polarity sensitive.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #3

Well, I was thinking of going to be early tonight, and I checked to see if there were any replies to my question. I just went out to the Jayco TT and tried reversing the bulbs. It still did not work. The way the little wires are on the flat end are such that it doesn't matter which way you put it in the socket....the same wire is in the same spot. I even tried bending the little wire on the flat end so that it would reverse, but that would not work either. I'm stumped. If I had bought just one bulb, I'd think maybe there was something wrong with that bulb, but I bought two of them in different packages and neither of them work. Hmmmmmmm.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #4

I had an issue with a couple of my fixtures in that the bulbs worked fine but had a bad connection with the LED's. Turned off the power to the fixture and bent the 2 copper connectors so the plug-in fit it a bit more tightly and got them to work properly. And as in a previous post, try reversing the connector, LED's are polarity sensitive.
denverhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions. I finally figured it out. I got some alligator clips and tested the LED bulb with my 12 v battery jump starter. LED worked fine, but when I put it in the fixture, it would not work. When I put the 921 bulb in, it worked fine. Upon closer inspection, I realized the two little wires on the bulb were much thinner than the 921, so I bent the outward just a little bit so it could make contact with the fixture innerds, and voila, works just fine. Now if I can find this bulb for a lot less than 24.00, I'lll buy several of them.

Thanks again to those who responded.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:04 AM   #6

Try this company...

LED Lights & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
When shopping for LEDs, don't just look at cost. Many of the cheaper ones will cast a bluish light. They also will not last as long. Camping World's lamps come with a 1 year warranty. If you burned a bulb 4 hours a day for one year, that would be only 1460 hours. They don't say how long the bulbs are expected to last. As far as I'm concerned, they are a pig in a poke.

StarlightLEDs bulbs will last up to 60,000 hours and run around $33. Super Bright Leds last up to 10,000 hours and run around $6. Do the math. The Starlights appear to be better built.

LEDs are very directional. They will throw a very narrow beam which is why some manufacturers have different ways of arranging the individual LEDs.

Starlights can be had as a flat panel or cylindrical, like the Camping World models. The cylindrical models take advantage of the fixture's reflector to spread the light out, giving a light pool very similar to the original incandescent. Flat panels appear brighter but concentrate the light in a much narrower beam. Better flat panels can be rotated to allow one to aim the beam somewhat. Super Bright Leds concentrate all the light at the end of the bulb. This arrangement would work great for many tail, brake, or back up lights, depending on the orientation of the socket, but would be lousy in most indoor RV fixtures, again depending on socket orientation.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #8

Well, the Stars work out to $0.00055/hr and the SBs are $0.0006/hr of expected life. I personally don't expect to be using one for 10k hrs, let alone 60k hrs. I replaced most of my 12 volts with the SBs and they all work fine--so far. Will let everyone know when I hit the 10000hr mark...
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #9

I just bought these on Ebay, 4th time I have dealt with this seller, no problems whatsoever!
Purchased 1041 replacements as well.
Received them in just over a week.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 09-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #10

Replaced most of mine with 912's. They only use 4.5watts vs. something like 14-18watts. Color is good, light output is more then adequate and only cost a couple bucks.

Tags
replace