Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #15

We are planning a trip out west next spring and will also be doing a lot of dry camping. After listening to all your feedback it sounds to me that the switch to LED's is a great step forward. Uses less power, creates less heat and variety of brightness. I am sold.
Once again a great place for our Camping Education.....

Thanks-----

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder123 View Post
As I spend most of my time dry camping I changed all my bulbs to LED s with the exception of one over the reading area. I buy the bulbs on ebay at about $22.00 for 10.
Did you have any quality issues with the ebay ones? People might be interested to know how good they are. With the ebay ones I bought, I had one array that had a row that would flicker. But for the price of them, if you did happen to get a bad one, it's no big loss to toss it. I just can't see paying the $30 or so I've seen at dealers and RV parts vendors.

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan827 View Post
Started looking at LED's for our T/T. ...................Curious as to what experience anyone has had with LED's so far...
I switched over to LED interior lighting for my 2014 Wilderness 2175 RB about 3 days ago. There were 12 bulbs to replace, all of them T10 Wedge socket variety. Each LED replacement bulb cost about $10, so for a bit over $100, I get cool light. I could heat the interior of the travel trailer with the 921 bulbs that came stock.

Note: I didn't upgrade the reading lights over the bed or in the dinette slide out.

I was a happy (hot light) camper. Now I'm a happier (cool light) camper!
Old 09-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ebay LEDS?

We bought the Warm white LED panels for our old coachmen, on ebay.

(48 SMD Warm White LED Light Panel)

The ones I wanted didn't have the 1156 bayonet adapter, so I had to improvise. The output from these new LED arrays are really quite good. Nice warm colour light and bright, and only 3 watts each.
At €2 a pop, I can't complain. No problems so far...

Prior to that we had some other warm white "bulbs" from ebay (on the left below). The output from them was a bit green in colour and not really all that bright. But for 2 watts per bulb, we weren't complaining at the time . But now we couldn't be happier since we changed over to the new LED light panels...

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/48-SMD-Warm-W...item2a1d31f23b
Old 09-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #19

Great information and good photos. I am going to try a couple of these myself.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Be careful with those pads. I did not realize it at the time but the base has electronics built into it. From the vendor:

Message from Triad R V Parts LLC:

"The socket has a mini-driver that allows the current to be lowered to keep
from hurting the LEDs. The most they could handle would be 8 volts."

You need to work with people who know the details. I would not trust eBay/China.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #21

Another place for LED interior lights is Fiberglass Travel Trailers RV.
Chuck
Old 09-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjell View Post
Be careful with those pads. I did not realize it at the time but the base has electronics built into it. From the vendor:

You need to work with people who know the details. I would not trust eBay/China.
Yeah, and Triad R V Parts Limited Liability Corp. doesn't have and interest in scaring people off cheaper LEDs. Why would a unit made for 12 v be limited to 8 v capacity? I could buy multiple eBay/Chinese LED lights AND resistors (if needed) for each high priced unit sold by many U.S. venders. I'm typing on a Chinese computer (Apple), routed through a Chinese router. I'm not scared of Chinese products in most cases, and ready to try before I condemn. For the most part, their low price alternatives work pretty good for a lot less money.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjell View Post

Its most likely a case of giving the consumer more information than they need to know. These SMD LED's are 3v each and are "wired" in series in groups of 3. (9v total). They need a resistor in-line to reduce the current that runs through them. I'd be more worried if there were no resistors there!

I work in the LED lighting industry so I know a little bit about LED's. But more importantly, I work with other guys that know EVERYTHING about LED's...

Let me share a couple of photos I took when I was making my mind up about these cheap lamp modules made in China...

Here's where I removed the adhesive pad to have a look at the back of the PCB.

I also wouldn't worry too much about goods made in china. Take a look around the room you're in now. I'd bet 90% of the electronic goods surrounding you were made in china or have internal components that were made in china. Its the quality control that I'd be concerned about, and based on the units I've received, all of them were built to a pretty good standard. So for my needs, I'm happy with them.

But yeah, I had to be convinced to. I bought ten bucks worth and I messed around with them. I brought them into work and showed them to a couple of my electronic engineering friends. We ran a couple of tests on the modules AND we even ran them 24/7 for a couple of weeks. In fact, I think they're still running. (I need to check that on Monday... lol).
I was only interested in wattage and light temp. The 3 watt, 3000k result was good for me. One of the engineers commented that he was impressed with the "lumens per watt" output. Suggesting it was respectable considering the cost of the unit. I was only interested in the inside of my camper being lit with nice warm light for very little watts so I wasn't paying attention to any other details... lol
Old 09-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Warm white LED lights in our old coachmen mini-motorhome...

Old 10-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #25

Year ago thread, but thought I'd let everyone know that I am starting to convert to LED in my 2002 Pace Arrow. As a tester, I ordered 3 different 36x1210 LED bulbs because I didn't know what color I would like. These were generally the LEDs everyone else was happy with.

Colors were "Super bright white" 6500-7000K; "Warm White" 3000-3500K; and "Natural White" 4000-4500K.

The super bright white definitely have a blue tint to them. Natural white has an almost pure white color which I enjoyed. The warm white is a more traditional yellowish tint. Not sure which to go for yet.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #26

We are getting ready to try some LED's also. I don't think we would like the bright white but will try the pure white and warm white that you tested.
Where did you purchase your lights??
Old 10-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan827 View Post
We are getting ready to try some LED's also. I don't think we would like the bright white but will try the pure white and warm white that you tested.
Where did you purchase your lights??
I took the advice of the thread and ordered from 2011_LED on eBay. He has a great selection and my LEDs all came nicely packaged. They did take about 2 weeks to get here, but at only $3 and some change I'm ok with that. Quick response on my question about color too...

3000-3500K is considered "warm white" which gives that yellow tint like a classic light bulb. I'm still deciding if I want that or the natural white. I couldn't handle the bluish 6000-7500K color. They are all about equally bright because the LEDs are the same, just a different color spectrum.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #28

I just bought 20 LED bulbs from 2011_led on eBay and am very happy. We went with brighter bulbs in the main living area and less bright for the bathroom and bedside lights. It cost me right around $60 total to replace everything with LED's.

RVcircus is offline   Reply With Quote