Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #29

I bought all my LED from a supplier located in US. www.ledtrailerlights.com

I've heard of nothing but trouble on other forums when dealing with ebay sellers from China when it comes time to get something replaced.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 10:35 PM   #30

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billandcarol View Post
I bought all my LED from a supplier located in US. www.ledtrailerlights.com

I've heard of nothing but trouble on other forums when dealing with ebay sellers from China when it comes time to get something replaced.
I bet your LEDs were made in China too. Only difference, one bulb from your supplier costs $22.99 while I can buy 5 or 6 for that price. -- from China. I've not had any issues with LEDs I've bought on eBay, you just have to read about the offering. If information is missing, I go on to the next vendor.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #31

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
MY DW will ONLY have the warm whine on our rig although I did replace the refer light with a cool white LED and she likes the extra light. Tried that with one overhead light without telling her, boy am I glad I kept the original bulb as her reaction was instantaneous! And it was only one blub out of the four in that fixture!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandcarol View Post
I had some defects show up after a few hours of use. Emailed the seller in China, sent a photo of the problem, one (LED blinking, or going out), told him I was not sending them back, and what would he do. Next day I had a return Email saying that replacements were in the mail. No problems with the service at all!

I guess everyone has their own experiences.

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:49 AM   #33

I buy them 40 at a time, and so far not one failure from EBay supply from Hong Kong or China. did buy 4 from US supplier an 2 failed and discarded the others. Local dealer has 2 bulbs in stock at a time at $19.95 each. I sell up to 20 bulbs at a time to friends.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #34

Went camping this weekend and saw someone's brand new trailer with LED awning light. So, last night I ordered the 300 5050 LED light strip kit off amazon that comes with the remote and DC adapter. I'm going to wire it directly to my 12v outside light so both come on at the same time. Found a good you tube video of a guy who hid all of it inside the light fixture so you wouldn't even know it was there. Nice clean factory look, just the way I like it. Will let you all know how that goes.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The negative of having all LED lights

Back in May of this year we purchased a new 2013 Timber Ridge. They come standard with LED lights (only one wall mounted 1157 in the living room, the rest were LED). We thought that this was great until we had power issues. The lights flickered very rapidly to the point of making you very sick. So what do you do with no television or radio and only one 1157 light - we ended up retiring for the night very early. Luckily we were parked in a bigger city and went and purchased a battery charger. It was also the city of our Rv dealer and we limped through till Monday morning. Left it there and told them to call us when it was done (we live 2.5 hours away). A few weeks later we received the call that it was our shore power cord and outside receiving plug. Picked up the trailer and camped pretty regularly for the rest of the summer and experienced a couple of more times of the possessed LED's. Our final weekend camping was Labour Day. Dropped the camper back at the dealer with instructions to not call us till it was fixed and winterized - I got it back yesterday. Moral of the story - don't put your whole unit to LEDs. Our converter was a dud and had to be replaced (under warranty). In the spring I'm going to install a separate 120v plug (separate from the trailer's wiring) so we can have some wall sconces and light if it should ever happen again.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
Back in May of this year we purchased a new 2013 Timber Ridge. They come standard with LED lights (only one wall mounted 1157 in the living room, the rest were LED). We thought that this was great until we had power issues. The lights flickered very rapidly to the point of making you very sick. So what do you do with no television or radio and only one 1157 light - we ended up retiring for the night very early. Luckily we were parked in a bigger city and went and purchased a battery charger. It was also the city of our Rv dealer and we limped through till Monday morning. Left it there and told them to call us when it was done (we live 2.5 hours away). A few weeks later we received the call that it was our shore power cord and outside receiving plug. Picked up the trailer and camped pretty regularly for the rest of the summer and experienced a couple of more times of the possessed LED's. Our final weekend camping was Labour Day. Dropped the camper back at the dealer with instructions to not call us till it was fixed and winterized - I got it back yesterday. Moral of the story - don't put your whole unit to LEDs. Our converter was a dud and had to be replaced (under warranty). In the spring I'm going to install a separate 120v plug (separate from the trailer's wiring) so we can have some wall sconces and light if it should ever happen again.
Is the dealer saying the LED's caused the converter failure?
RVcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
Not sure why this is being blamed on LEDs, incandescent bulbs flicker when voltage changes too. Blame it on the converter, not the LEDs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have 4 different brands of LED's here
One I bought a bunch of (Big mistake) back in 2005, were a complete dissapointment, ONE of them still works as I recall.. That is all very blue, very dim.

One I bought a couple winters ago from Fred (RVwithFred dot com) and it is very close to a 1156

Some are ECO-LEDs these are disc shaped, with two wires for leads some versions the leads are bent 90 degrees and some come with an adapter so they fit in a standard 1141/1156 size sockt VERY IMPRESSED, these are at least as bright as a 1141, close to a 1156, mine are cool white.

And I have some I just got on E-bay, these are Warm White and very close to a 1141.

I prefer Coolwhite, but I won't toss the WWs.

Most of the better ones recommended by others (As these were) will work just fine now days

ECO-LED's are about 18-19 bucks a pop at your CW. or competitors.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcircus View Post
Is the dealer saying the LED's caused the converter failure?
No they said they can see that it was the converter. I want to see what the reviews are like on this converter and if I have even a slight flicker in the future it will be replaced. What I was trying to say is that we need some kind of back up for the LED's. I think in the spring I'll add a 120v outside connector going to an inside plug so I can plug in an extension cord to the outside plug and a lamp or two on the inside and leave the LED's off.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #40

We have all LED's in our unit and do not see the need for backups. No problems with ours.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #41

sad days this weekend. After installing my 5050 LED light string very carefully and even soldering the wires behind the existing outside light for a clean pro look; 5 miles down the road of our first trip, the light strip was torn from the side of the RV from the wind. Whatever tape I decided to use was awful. We lost the entire light strip and had to pull over to shove the thing back in a window for the rest of the journey. I've ordered some 3m molding tape from Amazon in the hopes it will be much stronger. Sadly, a few of the LEDs are now ruined so the light strip has a couple of gaps in it now. The interior LEDs faired very well and used much less energy than I expected. I do have to admit that the adhesive that came on it isn't strong enough to permanently attach the LEDs to the light fixture. All of them have now come off and just sit inside the light fixture. No big deal, but thought it was annoying to see the tape wasn't good enough. I am guessing I want to use some kind of glue, but have no idea what would be a good one inside a light fixture.